News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Single Greatest Thread Ever  ( 524,995 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Single Greatest Thread Ever
« Reply #2565 on: September 28, 2015, 09:54:48 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 28, 2015, 09:22:26 PM
Quote from: CBStew on September 28, 2015, 08:55:06 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on September 28, 2015, 07:01:54 PM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on September 28, 2015, 06:22:05 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 28, 2015, 03:35:16 PM
Jared Allen.

It's not my money, but paying $11 million for a 6th round pick seems unwise.

But that's not what they're doing. They already paid him the $11mm so they're trading whatever the current value of Jared Allen is for a 6th rounder.
Would someone please explain what happened to the Bears?

They drafted really poorly for a really long time. This is what having no talent looks like.

DING. Once Forte is gone either by the trade deadline this year or this offseason they'll have no one left from their 2005-2011 draft classes, and the guys left from 2012-2015 don't look promising.  Jeffery has had one healthy season. Long is a great guard and a mediocre tackle. Fuller is all tools and no toolbox. They've got zero building blocks.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2566 on: September 28, 2015, 10:18:40 PM »
Jared Allen.

But that's not what they're doing. They already paid him the $11mm so they're trading whatever the current value of Jared Allen is for a 6th rounder.

Right.  I get that.  I guess this is my way of saying that whoever decided to keep him around and pay the roster bonus should have their head examined...and by that, I mean examined extensively with a drill, while tied to a table.  Seriously, if I were the McCaskey's, and someone wasted $11 million of my money in such a manner, they'd be lucky to be unemployed the next day.

God, the Bears are the fucking Browns.  Maybe worse.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2567 on: September 28, 2015, 10:31:24 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on September 28, 2015, 10:18:40 PM
Jared Allen.

Right.  I get that.  I guess this is my way of saying that whoever decided to keep him around and pay the roster bonus should have their head examined...and by that, I mean examined extensively with a drill, while tied to a table.  Seriously, if I were the McCaskey's, and someone wasted $11 million of my money in such a manner, they'd be lucky to be unemployed the next day.

My understanding of the nuances of NFL contracts is admittedly not great, but I read that it was a "guaranteed" bonus meaning the Bears "decided to keep him around and pay" it when they initially signed him. Someone else can weigh in and tell me how many flavors of wrong I am, but I suspect that structuring the deal in that way (to backload the bulk of guaranteed money to 2015 in the form of a bonus) had cap advantages last year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2568 on: September 28, 2015, 11:41:27 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on September 28, 2015, 10:31:24 PM
Jared Allen.

My understanding of the nuances of NFL contracts is admittedly not great, but I read that it was a "guaranteed" bonus meaning the Bears "decided to keep him around and pay" it when they initially signed him. Someone else can weigh in and tell me how many flavors of wrong I am, but I suspect that structuring the deal in that way (to backload the bulk of guaranteed money to 2015 in the form of a bonus) had cap advantages last year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ding.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2569 on: September 29, 2015, 08:35:49 AM »
Seriously, if I were the McCaskey's, and someone wasted $11 million of my money in such a manner, they'd be lucky to be unemployed the next day.

They are already committed to $10 million for Cutler for next year. Guaranteed.

One of the guys who did that is gone.  Not sure about Cliff Stein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2570 on: September 29, 2015, 08:43:14 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 29, 2015, 08:35:49 AM
Seriously, if I were the McCaskey's, and someone wasted $11 million of my money in such a manner, they'd be lucky to be unemployed the next day.

They are already committed to $10 million for Cutler for next year. Guaranteed.

One of the guys who did that is gone.  Not sure about Cliff Stein.

Cliff got "promoted" to a position that sounds made up, but I don't know why you would hold him accountable anyway. He's just the capologist. He was told to get them under the cap and keep that Cutler deal as manageable as possible and he did it. It's not like he had anything to do with coming up with the $54 million guaranteed number. In the grand scheme of QB contracts, that they have just 10 million guaranteed committed to the QB position next year is basically nothing.

They have $60 million in cap room for next year anyway, and a rookie QB will cost basically nothing. No team should ever want or need that much cap room anyway. If you're spending that much money in NFL free agency you're just asking to have a bunch of dead money on the cap in two years when those free agents end up being disappointments like 90% of all high paid NFL FAs.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2571 on: September 29, 2015, 09:03:16 AM »

The NFL isn't a standard workplace

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2572 on: September 29, 2015, 09:10:05 AM »
Jon Bostic

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2573 on: October 06, 2015, 10:14:31 AM »
Assuming he's not used in the post-season, the Dan Haren era is over.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2574 on: October 06, 2015, 11:38:46 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 06, 2015, 10:14:31 AM
Assuming he's not used in the post-season, the Dan Haren era is over.

I really like the dude, and quite apart from the fact that I wanted home advantage for the Cubs, I was pulling like hell for his last MLB start to mean something.  He did his bit, at least.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2575 on: October 08, 2015, 10:43:19 AM »
Hockeenight

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2576 on: October 08, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 08, 2015, 10:43:19 AM
Hockeenight

I don't really care about this, and I'm not as familiar with the ins and outs of the case as you all undoubtedly are.  All I'll say is that it's my understanding that Patrick Kane has yet to be charged with a crime, and it's by no means certain that he will be.  If I had been accused of, but not charged with, a crime and my employer took it upon themselves to impose any kind of sanction upon me whatsoever, I'd have those fuckers in court before they knew what had hit them.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2577 on: October 08, 2015, 11:11:48 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 08, 2015, 11:00:39 AM
Hockeenight

I don't really care about this, and I'm not as familiar with the ins and outs of the case as you all undoubtedly are.  All I'll say is that it's my understanding that Patrick Kane has yet to be charged with a crime, and it's by no means certain that he will be.  If I had been accused of, but not charged with, a crime and my employer took it upon themselves to impose any kind of sanction upon me whatsoever, I'd have those fuckers in court before they knew what had hit them.

What if your employer put you on paid leave and you made millions off of them while they decided to wait out the results of the pending legal investigation? They've not deprived you of your livelihood, they've merely done what they can to protect the company's image. This is what the Panthers did with Greg Hardy last year.

But really in the end the guy ranting in the comments about INNOCENT TILL PROVEN GUILTY AND BITCHES TRYIN TO FALSELY ACCUSE GUYS OF RAPE ARE THE REAL RACISTS or whatever the usual trash is are missing the point that that it's simply a matter of not feeling comfortable cracking jokes and making fun of other players and fanbases while the 800 lb elephant of whatever Kane did is unresolved, not determining Kane's guilt.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2578 on: October 08, 2015, 11:12:59 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 08, 2015, 11:11:48 AM
Hockeenight

What if your employer put you on paid leave and you made millions off of them while they decided to wait out the results of the pending legal investigation? They've not deprived you of your livelihood, they've merely done what they can to protect the company's image. This is what the Panthers did with Greg Hardy last year.

But really in the end the guy ranting in the comments about INNOCENT TILL PROVEN GUILTY AND BITCHES TRYIN TO FALSELY ACCUSE GUYS OF RAPE ARE THE REAL RACISTS or whatever the usual trash is are missing the point that that it's simply a matter of not feeling comfortable cracking jokes and making fun of other players and fanbases while the 800 lb elephant of whatever Kane did is unresolved, not determining Kane's guilt.

Anytime my employer wants to do that with me, I'm ready.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2579 on: October 08, 2015, 01:45:51 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 08, 2015, 11:11:48 AM
Hockeenight

Whoa, it's like you actually read what was written.