News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Friday Night Lights  ( 31,309 )

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Friday Night Lights
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 03:41:59 PM »
Quote from: Kermit on February 22, 2007, 02:57:13 PM
Quote from: J Rod on February 22, 2007, 02:26:14 PM
Yeah, I'm still watching it.  It's the only one of the new shows that I watch (I kind of missed the boat on the others).

As a selling point to get more people interested in watching it - I've read it's still on the ropes - they try to make each episode have it's own story line that gets people involved if they've never seen an episode before, with some underlying themes that continue from episode to episode.  Although that helped get my girlfriend into it about a month or two into the season, getting her beyond "It's a stupid football show" (with smoking hot girls), I think I've become hooked onto shows that really string out story lines, going a little deeper a la HBO, and wish that FNL could do this.  Unfortunately I don't see them having the resources (broadcast TV being different then cable) to do so, but it would be cool if they could.

I do enjoy the scenes with the coach and his wife though.  They have some humorous interactions.

When you get around to watching last night's episode, let me know if you noticed a difference in the picture.  I thought it looked a little different, almost grainier.

The interaction between the coach and his wife is great.  She's a perfect foil for him.  Also, the guy who plays Saracen really does a hell of a job playing an insecure high school kid.  And I love his buddy who looks like a cross between Pigman and Matt Damon.  That guy's great.

The scene when he (Saracen's buddy) was sining in his metal Christian band was priceless.  I agree that guy is hilarious.

I think I heard somewhere that the kid who plays Saracen is from Evanston.

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 03:45:24 PM »
Quote from: J Rod on February 22, 2007, 03:41:59 PM
Quote from: Kermit on February 22, 2007, 02:57:13 PM
Quote from: J Rod on February 22, 2007, 02:26:14 PM
Yeah, I'm still watching it.  It's the only one of the new shows that I watch (I kind of missed the boat on the others).

As a selling point to get more people interested in watching it - I've read it's still on the ropes - they try to make each episode have it's own story line that gets people involved if they've never seen an episode before, with some underlying themes that continue from episode to episode.  Although that helped get my girlfriend into it about a month or two into the season, getting her beyond "It's a stupid football show" (with smoking hot girls), I think I've become hooked onto shows that really string out story lines, going a little deeper a la HBO, and wish that FNL could do this.  Unfortunately I don't see them having the resources (broadcast TV being different then cable) to do so, but it would be cool if they could.

I do enjoy the scenes with the coach and his wife though.  They have some humorous interactions.

When you get around to watching last night's episode, let me know if you noticed a difference in the picture.  I thought it looked a little different, almost grainier.

The interaction between the coach and his wife is great.  She's a perfect foil for him.  Also, the guy who plays Saracen really does a hell of a job playing an insecure high school kid.  And I love his buddy who looks like a cross between Pigman and Matt Damon.  That guy's great.

The scene when he (Saracen's buddy) was sining in his metal Christian band was priceless.  I agree that guy is hilarious.

I think I heard somewhere that the kid who plays Saracen is from Evanston.

You heard correctly, apparently.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm1472917/

While I was over at the old IMDB, I also looked up his buddy's name.  Landry.  I don't know why I couldn't remember that.  It's a perfect name for him.  I loved the scenes when he was tutoring Riggins (from the episode you mentioned).
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

Neifilicious

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 05:28:19 PM »
I quit watching this around Christmas.  The episodes just kind of...stopped being good.

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 10:16:03 AM »
Quote from: I am David Carr's Smirking Revenge on February 22, 2007, 05:28:19 PM
I quit watching this around Christmas.  The episodes just kind of...stopped being good.

I think they got better and better.  Last night's season finale was outstanding.

This is the best new show on television.  There, I said it.

Riggins is a pimp, but a terrible, terrible comedian.  Landry is going to get on Tyra.  The cripple is going to choose that pig-faced tattoo artist over Lyla.  Coach Taylor is going to have to choose between TMU and his smoking hot wife and fetus.  Bipolar chick is going to kill Smash.  Voo-Doo Tatum can go eat a dick.  Buddy Garrity is a bastard.  QB1 blossomed under Quad Rugby's tutelage.

I positive this show.  I positive it very much.
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

JD, Too

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 12:58:22 PM »
Quote from: Kermit on April 12, 2007, 10:16:03 AM
Quote from: I am David Carr's Smirking Revenge on February 22, 2007, 05:28:19 PM

I think they got better and better.  Last night's season finale was outstanding.

This is the best new show on television.  There, I said it.

Riggins is a pimp, but a terrible, terrible comedian.  Landry is going to get on Tyra.  The cripple is going to choose that pig-faced tattoo artist over Lyla.  Coach Taylor is going to have to choose between TMU and his smoking hot wife and fetus.  Bipolar chick is going to kill Smash.  Voo-Doo Tatum can go eat a dick.  Buddy Garrity is a bastard.  QB1 blossomed under Quad Rugby's tutelage.

I positive this show.  I positive it very much.

I'm waiting to find out if it gets picked up or not before I start watching.  If it does, then I'll just watch it online or something this summer and be ready for season 2. 
"Ad hominem attacks, and childish ones at that, do not an argument make."----- IT

Slaky!

• Still Slakin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 01:18:05 PM »
I was going to say exactly what JD said. That's the last time I send him my posts for proofreading.

JD, Too

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 01:27:19 PM »
Quote from: AC on April 12, 2007, 01:18:05 PM
I was going to say exactly what JD, that handsome devil, said. That's the last time I send him my posts for proofreading, y'all.

JD'd
"Ad hominem attacks, and childish ones at that, do not an argument make."----- IT

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 01:37:41 PM »
I thought it already was picked up.  They certainly ended the first season as though it was.
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

JS

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 01:41:15 PM »
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2007/04/promising_news_.html

From this it looks like it's for the most part picked up.

I too positive this show.

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2007, 11:30:20 AM »
It's officially coming back for season two.  Awesome.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964687.html?categoryid=14&cs=1
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

Slaky!

• Still Slakin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 12:33:06 PM »
Quote from: Kermit on May 11, 2007, 11:30:20 AM
It's officially coming back for season two.  Awesome.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964687.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Cool, gives me a series to watch on the 'puter this summer.

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 12:49:16 PM »
Stupid-ass NBC.  They gave Friday Night Lights the 10:00 Friday night slot for next season.  Enjoy the show while it lasts.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=2340
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 06:58:33 PM »
I don't watch it, but I know many here do.

http://tvdecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/live-from-nbcs-infront-take-6-new-deal-for-friday-night-lights/

QuoteConfirming rumors that had swirled for weeks, NBC said on Wednesday that it had partnered with the satellite television provider DirecTV to keep the football drama "Friday Night Lights" on television.

But viewers without access to DirecTV will have to wait a while. The third season of the series, set in a small Texas town, will be shown on DirecTV's platform beginning on October 1. NBC will delay broadcasting the same episodes until the winter, months after satellite subscribers have seen them.

Mr. Silverman said the partnership with DirecTV was a demonstration of "managing for margin" rather than merely for ratings. If the broadcast ratings for "Friday Night Lights" decline 15 percent next season, he said, the network will still come out ahead because of the cost-sharing arrangement.
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 08:50:07 AM »
As a proud DirecTV customer I'm happy to watch it starting October 1.  I'm also hoping the DirecTV feed will include a naked pillowfight between coach's wife, her sister, Lyla and Tyra.

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 09:25:53 AM »
Quote from: Andy on April 03, 2008, 08:50:07 AM
I'm also hoping the DirecTV feed will include a naked pillowfight between coach's wife, her sister, Lyla and Tyra.

Sounds like the very definition of "value added."
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!