News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 634,489 )

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #1815 on: February 04, 2010, 03:20:49 PM »
Setup is this: it's the "2" on the dual receiver (so no physical receiver).  The coax is plugged directly into the tv.  Lines are about a half-inch thick (with another 1/2 inch between them) (30" tv) that slowly move downward.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1816 on: February 04, 2010, 03:46:49 PM »
Quote from: Indolent Reader on February 04, 2010, 03:20:49 PM
Setup is this: it's the "2" on the dual receiver (so no physical receiver).  The coax is plugged directly into the tv.  Lines are about a half-inch thick (with another 1/2 inch between them) (30" tv) that slowly move downward.

Get your parents to get you a better dish. 
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1817 on: February 04, 2010, 03:53:04 PM »

You said "upward" before. It probably doesn't matter. First, disconnect everything else that might be connected to the TV and see if the bars disappear. When that doesn't work, install a common-mode choke as close as possible to where the coax connects to the TV. You can make one by getting an FT-240-43 toroid and looping the coax through it five to ten times. Another option is to get a couple of 75-to-300 ohm impedance transformers, connect the spade-lug ends, and put the assembly into the feed line (this won't work unless they're internally isolated, but Radio Shack is easy with the returns if you don't massacre the packaging; you'll need an extra piece of coax).
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1818 on: February 04, 2010, 03:58:58 PM »
Thanks.  Disconnecting does nothing (picture stays the same). 

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1819 on: February 04, 2010, 05:32:45 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on February 04, 2010, 03:53:04 PM

You said "upward" before. It probably doesn't matter. First, disconnect everything else that might be connected to the TV and see if the bars disappear. When that doesn't work, install a common-mode choke as close as possible to where the coax connects to the TV. You can make one by getting an FT-240-43 toroid and looping the coax through it five to ten times. Another option is to get a couple of 75-to-300 ohm impedance transformers, connect the spade-lug ends, and put the assembly into the feed line (this won't work unless they're internally isolated, but Radio Shack is easy with the returns if you don't massacre the packaging; you'll need an extra piece of coax).

I'm pretty sure Wheezer just taught a Sox fan how to build a dirty bomb.

If the BLOGWARS don't take this place out, surely the Feds will.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1820 on: February 04, 2010, 11:16:20 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on February 04, 2010, 05:32:45 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on February 04, 2010, 03:53:04 PM

I'm pretty sure Wheezer just taught a Sox fan how to build a dirty bomb.

Probably wouldn't be a first.

I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1821 on: February 05, 2010, 09:04:57 AM »
I'm definitely not smart enough to figure out that suggestion (though I appreciate it). 

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1822 on: February 16, 2010, 03:53:22 PM »
I know I should probably buy some real software, build a XML database, etc., but I'm a caveman and I need your help:

I have set up a spreadsheet (a simple Excel file; as I said, I'm a caveman) tracking the various sales goals for our sales reps and want them to see their own progress. The thing is, the source spreadsheet has a bunch of proprietary information (not to mention the performances of their peers) that we'd rather not share with them. Thus, the source sheet is on a file server in a folder restricted only to management.

I set up a simple spreadsheet for each salesperson (yes, the formulas are hidden and the cells are protected) that would track his or her progress. Each file is in the respective salesperson's server folder, to which they have access.

Now here's the problem: because they are restricted from the source file, these worksheets will not update for them. Is there a macro/VB code or any other type of workaround that would let the spreadsheet update automatically for them but not give them read access to the source file?

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1823 on: February 16, 2010, 04:07:11 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on February 16, 2010, 03:53:22 PM
I know I should probably buy some real software, build a XML database, etc., but I'm a caveman and I need your help:

I have set up a spreadsheet (a simple Excel file; as I said, I'm a caveman) tracking the various sales goals for our sales reps and want them to see their own progress. The thing is, the source spreadsheet has a bunch of proprietary information (not to mention the performances of their peers) that we'd rather not share with them. Thus, the source sheet is on a file server in a folder restricted only to management.

I set up a simple spreadsheet for each salesperson (yes, the formulas are hidden and the cells are protected) that would track his or her progress. Each file is in the respective salesperson's server folder, to which they have access.

Now here's the problem: because they are restricted from the source file, these worksheets will not update for them. Is there a macro/VB code or any other type of workaround that would let the spreadsheet update automatically for them but not give them read access to the source file?

I hate to disappoint you... Excel doesn't allow you to just link to the source file since they can't access it.  You're probably best off having some sort of nightly job run (use WinCron, maybe?) in which the file for each individual salesman is updated from the source.  Or, you could use a database solution - you can control a lot more around access to data that way.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1824 on: February 17, 2010, 01:14:31 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on February 16, 2010, 04:07:11 PM

I hate to disappoint you... Excel doesn't allow you to just link to the source file since they can't access it.  You're probably best off having some sort of nightly job run (use WinCron, maybe?) in which the file for each individual salesman is updated from the source.  Or, you could use a database solution - you can control a lot more around access to data that way.

Couldn't you just password protect the source file and hide columns/rows so that they can't see the data?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1825 on: February 17, 2010, 01:42:10 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 17, 2010, 01:14:31 PM

Couldn't you just password protect the source file and hide columns/rows so that they can't see the data?

To protect sensitive data, just hide those columns? That's Pen's suggestion?
Just use the white-font, white-background option dude.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1826 on: February 17, 2010, 01:43:08 PM »

Sexist.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1827 on: February 17, 2010, 01:44:54 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on February 17, 2010, 01:43:08 PM

Sexist.

Am I the only who thinks it's a bit weird to be worried about salemen seeing other salemen's numbers?  Every sales job I've ver had we've seen what everyone else is doing.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1828 on: February 17, 2010, 01:45:59 PM »
Quote from: BH on February 17, 2010, 01:42:10 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on February 17, 2010, 01:14:31 PM

To protect sensitive data, just hide those columns? That's Pen's suggestion?
Just use the white-font, white-background option dude.

No, my suggestion was to password protect the document so that they couldn't be unhid.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1829 on: February 17, 2010, 01:46:23 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 17, 2010, 01:44:54 PM
Quote from: Slack-E on February 17, 2010, 01:43:08 PM

Sexist.

Am I the only who thinks it's a bit weird to be worried about salemen seeing other salemen's numbers?  Every sales job I've ver had we've seen what everyone else is doing.

Especially here where they post your numbers anywhere your eyes might wander off to so as to ridicule the low end people and tell the high end people to do better next month.

Ah, sales.