News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 634,488 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #3435 on: February 04, 2016, 01:45:26 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 04, 2016, 01:22:07 PM
I know we have several alleged lawyers here -- any non-advice on what to look for when creating a will? We've gotten quotes that range from like $400 to $3,000 (which seems insane, though maybe this is a reasonable get-what-you-pay-for thing) and there are terms thrown around that I have little understanding of like various types of trusts and directives, etc. We just want our bases covered, but since I don't even know what those are, I can't really ask for them. Any tips?

At a Cubs game, I asked this of Section (sic) 242 of HJE ShoutBox fame (but an odd Desipio-avoider) and he told me he gets this asked so much that he was thinking of holding a seminar.

And that was where the conversation ended.

I still need to do this.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3436 on: February 04, 2016, 01:48:11 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on February 04, 2016, 01:45:26 PM
I know we have several alleged lawyers here -- any non-advice on what to look for when creating a will? We've gotten quotes that range from like $400 to $3,000 (which seems insane, though maybe this is a reasonable get-what-you-pay-for thing) and there are terms thrown around that I have little understanding of like various types of trusts and directives, etc. We just want our bases covered, but since I don't even know what those are, I can't really ask for them. Any tips?

At a Cubs game, I asked this of Section (sic) 242 of HJE ShoutBox fame (but an odd Desipio-avoider) and he told me he gets this asked so much that he was thinking of holding a seminar.

I still need to do this.

Seriously, contact Kerm.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3437 on: February 04, 2016, 01:51:33 PM »

I still need to do this.

I'm also amused that whenever I mention this to people and say, "We're terrible; we have an 18 month old and still don't have a will" and every other parent says "I don't either" (including a good friend who's a lawyer and has two elementary-aged kids).

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3438 on: February 04, 2016, 02:13:34 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 04, 2016, 01:51:33 PM

I still need to do this.

I'm also amused that whenever I mention this to people and say, "We're terrible; we have an 18 month old and still don't have a will" and every other parent says "I don't either" (including a good friend who's a lawyer and has two elementary-aged kids).

We basically have a notarized document signed in the presence of a lawyer that says who we want Augie to go to if we both somehow died. We don't have an actual will because I can't imagine how depressing that would be.

"I leave my 2004 DVD set of the Original Star Wars Trilogy to my Son. I never got the blu rays because Lucas added the stupid "noooooooo' from Revenge of the Sith to the end of return of the jedi and I'm still mad about it.

PS We have no money or anything to speak of and we live in a college dorm. lol. good luck son"
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3439 on: February 04, 2016, 02:20:08 PM »
It depends on what you have and how you want to distribute it.  Are you married?  If so, do you live in a community property state?  I don't do probate, but my experience is that if you die intestate (without a will) the state will generally do what you would have done had you had a will.  The main reason for going to a lawyer is to do what you can to avoid estate taxes that allow the state to get a share of your estate that would have otherwise gone to your heirs.  But I say "tough on those ungrateful brats!"  You made it the hard way.  Why should their lazy asses be rewarded?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3440 on: February 04, 2016, 02:38:43 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 04, 2016, 01:51:33 PM

I still need to do this.

Jesus, I never even thought of that.
M'lady.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3441 on: February 04, 2016, 02:58:11 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 04, 2016, 02:20:08 PM
It depends on what you have and how you want to distribute it.  Are you married?  If so, do you live in a community property state?  I don't do probate, but my experience is that if you die intestate (without a will) the state will generally do what you would have done had you had a will.  The main reason for going to a lawyer is to do what you can to avoid estate taxes that allow the state to get a share of your estate that would have otherwise gone to your heirs.  But I say "tough on those ungrateful brats!"  You made it the hard way.  Why should their lazy asses be rewarded?

You generally want as little passing through probate as possible. It takes forever, is expensive, and is public. If you die without a will your property gets divided up amongst your family regardless of whether you even liked that brother who's always posting pro Donald Trump memes on your wall. Wanted to leave something to friends or charity? Too bad, should've written a will. And the scheme for doing that is determined state by state, so you're basically letting the legislators of your fine state write your will for you if you die without one.

Trusts can get around both the not having a will problem as well as the long probate (think "the judge-controlled legal process of interpreting and following a will") problem, and there are provisions that can make it harder for creditors to access your assets or, for example, to protect your son or daughter from him or herself by limiting access to gifts until certain ages or conditions are met. This whole structure can vary wildly state by state so you'll need a lawyer in your jurisdiction. My firm handles high net worth estate planning (not my department, but people I can ask under the guise of being new) but if you're not in California I can't tell you much in specifics that's going to be helpful to you. Unlike Stew, who has mercifully forgotten law school and the bar exam by now (I hope), I just got out of law school and took trusts and estates very recently, so it's somewhat fresh. Damn it.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3442 on: February 04, 2016, 03:08:50 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on February 04, 2016, 02:58:11 PM

You generally want as little passing through probate as possible. It takes forever, is expensive, and is public. If you die without a will your property gets divided up amongst your family regardless of whether you even liked that brother who's always posting pro Donald Trump memes on your wall. Wanted to leave something to friends or charity? Too bad, should've written a will. And the scheme for doing that is determined state by state, so you're basically letting the legislators of your fine state write your will for you if you die without one.

Trusts can get around both the not having a will problem as well as the long probate (think "the judge-controlled legal process of interpreting and following a will") problem, and there are provisions that can make it harder for creditors to access your assets or, for example, to protect your son or daughter from him or herself by limiting access to gifts until certain ages or conditions are met. This whole structure can vary wildly state by state so you'll need a lawyer in your jurisdiction. My firm handles high net worth estate planning (not my department, but people I can ask under the guise of being new) but if you're not in California I can't tell you much in specifics that's going to be helpful to you. Unlike Stew, who has mercifully forgotten law school and the bar exam by now (I hope), I just got out of law school and took trusts and estates very recently, so it's somewhat fresh. Damn it.

That's all really helpful -- I appreciate it. I wasn't sure if we needed to spring for a trust, but it sounds like that would be the best option. We have a family friend who does estate planning and is in the middle of the price ranges we've been quoted (including a trust). Aside from the general awkwardness of sharing all of our assets (or lack of assets) with him, it seems like a pretty safe bet. Thanks again.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3443 on: February 04, 2016, 03:22:13 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 04, 2016, 03:08:50 PM

That's all really helpful -- I appreciate it. I wasn't sure if we needed to spring for a trust, but it sounds like that would be the best option. We have a family friend who does estate planning and is in the middle of the price ranges we've been quoted (including a trust). Aside from the general awkwardness of sharing all of our assets (or lack of assets) with him, it seems like a pretty safe bet. Thanks again.

It's unlikely you're in a community property state, that's the minority approach, but every state will still have a set of statutes and case law that determines how spouses are accounted for in estate planning. (Some even kick in if you try to disown or avoid them and therefore by operation of law will trump your own estate planning.) What Stew mentioned as intestate -- dying without a will (dying with one is "dying testate") -- gets you the Default Estate Plan: whatever your state's legislature and appellate courts have come up with. It works, it's fair for the most part, but for most people it goes against their wishes and can almost be an invasion of privacy. People are unique and most have strong feelings about what happens to their property when they pass away. The law recognizes that and provides for it, but there's a cost of entry: you need a lawyer to take you out of the Default Estate Plan. To get a customized plan to meet your needs, you have to upgrade, and that costs money. For most it's worth it. Any good estate planning lawyer will talk you through your options and help you make the best decision for you, your family, and your budget. Sometimes lawyers can forget that each case is unique: you do a hundred estate plans, they're all the same, but for the people involved it's intensely personal. Feel free to check back (or DM) if you think I can help with any questions. Good luck.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3444 on: February 08, 2016, 09:29:34 PM »
Windows 7's steadfast refusal to remember where I move PDFs EVERY TIME I OPEN THEM has me ready to launch my computer through a window in a style Jeff Samardzija himself would no doubt admire.

The motherfucking PDF opens in a tiny little column that's so narrow it can't even show any of the document, and it opens on my main display, not the vertical one I set up SPECIFICALLY FOR OPENING DOCUMENTS. It does not care that I move it over to the document display and enter full screen. It does not care that I set it to remember this setting and close Adobe repeatedly in the same spot in the foolish hope it'll remember it next time. It does not care that I don't want to waste half my screen on their idiotic useless sidebar that I have to close every time the program opens. ADOBE I DO NOT NEED TO FILL AND SIGN RIGHT NOW, LEAVE ME ALONE.

Windows and "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC", whatever that means, laugh at my futile plea for logic. The PDF opens in this tiny useless column with its row of control buttons hidden beyond the top of the screen so I can't do anything with it except close it and ponder the meaning of life and the existential reasons why I'm not allowed to use my damn Mac while Bill Gates fans himself with a thicket of hundos. Anyone got some suggestions how to force Adobe and Windows to quit being a bunch of fuggin' Troobluds? PC LOAD LETTER, what the fuck does that mean?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3445 on: February 09, 2016, 08:32:12 AM »

We've got a fair amount of assets (but no kids/heirs), but we were able to do it all with Microsoft Willmaker.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3446 on: February 09, 2016, 08:38:57 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on February 09, 2016, 08:32:12 AM

We've got a fair amount of assets (but no kids/heirs), but we were able to do it all with Microsoft Willmaker.

...dad?
M'lady.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3447 on: February 09, 2016, 08:51:20 AM »

Going to have some very wealthy cats.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3448 on: February 09, 2016, 08:54:22 AM »

Look it's too late for us at this point but I hope you at least left something for your grandson
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3449 on: February 09, 2016, 08:57:03 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 09, 2016, 08:54:22 AM

Look it's too late for us at this point but I hope you at least left something for your grandson

Especially since he was the heir to the vast Lemmy fortune.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck