News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Opening. Day. Female. Odges.  ( 81,660 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Opening. Day. Female. Odges.
« Reply #420 on: April 02, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 02, 2013, 03:43:11 AM
Also, good patience shown by the Cubs, by and large - yeah, there was only actually one walk but Burnett threw 98 pitches in less than six innings.  I'm certainly not getting excited about this season, but I was nonetheless encouraged.

THISTHISTHISTHISTHIS - Epstein preaches controlling the strike zone, which is done either from the mound or from the plate. Hitters need to be disciplined, and pitchers need to stay in/around the strike zone.

This sounds like the baseball version of extablishing the run to set up play action, but to say this concept has been missing from the Cubs' organizational philosophy would be implying there was any sort of organizational philosphy in place.

What's going to be really fun around here will be when guys come up from the minors over the next few years already knowing how to do this, rather than trying to teach it at the major league level.

Sploosh.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #421 on: April 02, 2013, 09:51:02 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 01, 2013, 10:22:25 PM
Quote from: Tonker on April 01, 2013, 01:38:22 AM
Quote from: Tonker on April 05, 2012, 01:36:43 AM
So, here we go again.  It's time to resurrect this thread - as I do every year - in the hope that, somehow, this year will be different.  Indeed, we already know that this year will be different, because this year the Cubs aren't even pretending to be trying to win.  Nonetheless, it's been six long months since the 2011 post-season was cancelled, and I'd be lying if I said I don't have a little tingle in my ding-a-ling this morning.

Opening Day, bitches.  Go the motherfucking Cubs.

So, it turns out I don't need to come up with something new to write this year - last year's post can be handily recycled.

Go Cubs, anyway.

The quests for 162-0 and Samardzija's first Cy Young are alive and well.  Luis Valbuena and Brent Lillibridge Littlebitch also gave me more reasons to hate them, so all in all a good day.

Boot'd
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #422 on: April 02, 2013, 10:05:22 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on April 02, 2013, 09:51:02 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 01, 2013, 10:22:25 PM
Quote from: Tonker on April 01, 2013, 01:38:22 AM
Quote from: Tonker on April 05, 2012, 01:36:43 AM
So, here we go again.  It's time to resurrect this thread - as I do every year - in the hope that, somehow, this year will be different.  Indeed, we already know that this year will be different, because this year the Cubs aren't even pretending to be trying to win.  Nonetheless, it's been six long months since the 2011 post-season was cancelled, and I'd be lying if I said I don't have a little tingle in my ding-a-ling this morning.

Opening Day, bitches.  Go the motherfucking Cubs.

So, it turns out I don't need to come up with something new to write this year - last year's post can be handily recycled.

Go Cubs, anyway.

The quests for 162-0 and Samardzija's first Cy Young are alive and well.  Luis Valbuena and Brent Lillibridge Littlebitch also gave me more reasons to hate them, so all in all a good day.

Boot'd

Littlebitch it is.

You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #423 on: April 02, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »
Outstanding.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #424 on: March 31, 2014, 10:23:30 AM »
Well, here we are again.  This year, though, there's no Nillibridge (amazingly, I had completely forgotten about him) and his run at the World futility record, and maybe, just maybe we get to have a look at Messrs. Baez, Almora, Bryant and Soler in the big leagues.  Bearing in mind how little we had to look forward to this time last year, this year can really only be an improvement.

Ah, fuck it.  I don't have to justify this to anybody.  It's fucking opening day, and I love opening day.  Fuck you.

Go Cubs.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #425 on: March 31, 2014, 10:50:34 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on March 31, 2014, 10:23:30 AM
Well, here we are again.  This year, though, there's no Nillibridge (amazingly, I had completely forgotten about him) and his run at the World futility record, and maybe, just maybe we get to have a look at Messrs. Baez, Almora, Bryant and Soler in the big leagues.  Bearing in mind how little we had to look forward to this time last year, this year can really only be an improvement.

Ah, fuck it.  I don't have to justify this to anybody.  It's fucking opening day, and I love opening day.  Fuck you.

Go Cubs.

YESSSS!!! YES!!! FUCK YOU TOO!!!!!

The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #426 on: March 31, 2014, 10:59:24 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on March 31, 2014, 10:23:30 AM
Well, here we are again.  This year, though, there's no Nillibridge (amazingly, I had completely forgotten about him) and his run at the World futility record, and maybe, just maybe we get to have a look at Messrs. Baez, Almora, Bryant and Soler in the big leagues.  Bearing in mind how little we had to look forward to this time last year, this year can really only be an improvement.

Ah, fuck it.  I don't have to justify this to anybody.  It's fucking opening day, and I love opening day.  Fuck you.

Go Cubs.

Opening Day is all about optimism, and what is there to be pessimistic about? Even if the Cubs struggle to get 70 wins this year, the farm system is fat with prospects. Baez will show up this summer, and even if he's not the second coming of Christ, it doesn't matter nearly as much as prospects have mattered in the past, because there is a line of guys behind him.

Worst case, enjoy the BBQ pork chop sandwich in Kane County.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #427 on: March 31, 2014, 12:25:34 PM »
Positively meh new uniforms, and the leadoff hitter is wearing a weird spring training number.  I waited months for this?!

just kidding, baseball is awesome
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #428 on: March 31, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »
DPD: Should I wait to see if Bonifacio changes his number or just go ahead and order my #64 shirsey now?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #429 on: March 31, 2014, 12:39:12 PM »
77 Wins.

There.  I said it.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #430 on: March 31, 2014, 01:04:37 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 31, 2014, 12:39:12 PM
77 Wins.

There.  I said it.

BY JUNE 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #431 on: March 31, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »
77 Wins.

There.  I said it.

Can't wait to see the pen light that number on fire.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #432 on: March 31, 2014, 02:09:51 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 31, 2014, 12:25:34 PM
Positively meh new alternate road uniforms...

Still "meh".
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #433 on: March 31, 2014, 03:33:36 PM »
77 Wins. runs.

There.  I said it.

More likely'd.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club