News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 549,226 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #2655 on: March 02, 2015, 10:17:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 02, 2015, 10:15:38 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 02, 2015, 10:13:03 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on March 02, 2015, 09:42:27 AM
Quote from: PANK! on March 01, 2015, 06:59:16 AM
Why is Apex still so butthurt about "Pancakes"?  I LOVE Ramirez (who the fuck wouldn't?) and I loved that nickname.  More HR's = more pancakes.  Bring that tall ass stack up and drown it in some butter and maple syrup (*smashes a 400 foot drive to right-center).  More players should be motivated by the thought of eating pancakes.  Ain't nothing wrong with Ramirez and ain't nothing wrong with motherfucking pancakes.

For me growing up, all people ever bitched about in this town was that the Cubs had some sort of Death Void at third base since Ron Santo (even though CF's been just as woeful and stretches back further).  Finally they got a real third baseman to shut up this stupid discussion and it was a hitter who was--with apologis to DLee-- the finest hitter on some of the more most consistently successful Cubs teams (I know, not a stretch) from 2003 through 2013--and he wasn't even around for the last few of those years.  Borb's mustache can get fucked.

To me that name implied that he was fat and out of shape or lazy.

That's how I recall it, too. Wasn't it supposed to be a reference to him 'running like he'd just eaten a stack of pancakes'?
I also thought it was an insult we had co-opted and turned into an exultation we shouted whenever he hit one out. So I understand Apex still seeing it as an insult where Huey naturally just saw that we'd made it a point of pride.

Long story short we all agree Aramis is the balls. Let us not destroy each other with wasteful infighting.

But this is the internet.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2656 on: March 02, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 02, 2015, 10:17:39 AM
Quote from: SKO on March 02, 2015, 10:15:38 AM
Why is Apex still so butthurt about "Pancakes"?  I LOVE Ramirez (who the fuck wouldn't?) and I loved that nickname.  More HR's = more pancakes.  Bring that tall ass stack up and drown it in some butter and maple syrup (*smashes a 400 foot drive to right-center).  More players should be motivated by the thought of eating pancakes.  Ain't nothing wrong with Ramirez and ain't nothing wrong with motherfucking pancakes.

For me growing up, all people ever bitched about in this town was that the Cubs had some sort of Death Void at third base since Ron Santo (even though CF's been just as woeful and stretches back further).  Finally they got a real third baseman to shut up this stupid discussion and it was a hitter who was--with apologis to DLee-- the finest hitter on some of the more most consistently successful Cubs teams (I know, not a stretch) from 2003 through 2013--and he wasn't even around for the last few of those years.  Borb's mustache can get fucked.

That's how I recall it, too. Wasn't it supposed to be a reference to him 'running like he'd just eaten a stack of pancakes'?
I also thought it was an insult we had co-opted and turned into an exultation we shouted whenever he hit one out. So I understand Apex still seeing it as an insult where Huey naturally just saw that we'd made it a point of pride.

Long story short we all agree Aramis is the balls. Let us not destroy each other with wasteful infighting.

But this is the internet.

Good point.

GO TO HELL!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2657 on: March 03, 2015, 08:44:07 PM »

That sounds like something I would have come up with. So... probably no.
M'lady.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2658 on: April 26, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »
The NL Central just got a little more up for grabs.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/04/adam-wainwright-could-be-out-for-season.html

QuoteThe expectation is that Adam Wainwright is done for the season after suffering an Achilles injury last night, sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter).  The Cardinals pitcher has yet to undergo an MRI, however.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2659 on: April 26, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on April 26, 2015, 08:54:00 AM
The NL Central just got a little more up for grabs.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/04/adam-wainwright-could-be-out-for-season.html

QuoteThe expectation is that Adam Wainwright is done for the season after suffering an Achilles injury last night, sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter).  The Cardinals pitcher has yet to undergo an MRI, however.

I positive this development.

The injury, that is.  I positive the injury.

You guys get what I'm saying, right?  I just want to be clear that I am happy that Wainwright is out for the season. 
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2660 on: June 24, 2015, 04:11:33 PM »
The NL Central: Maybe not so rancid anymore. If the Cubs were in the AL East, NL East, or NL West divisions, they'd be in first place. If they were in the AL Central or AL West, they'd be in second. But since they're in the NL Central, the third best team in the league is just a third place club.

Satanic Fowl .657
Kansas City .588
Houston .575
Pittsburgh .571
Cubs .565

Fifth best team in baseball even though they haven't truly heated up yet. This is fun.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2661 on: June 24, 2015, 04:14:14 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 24, 2015, 04:11:33 PM
The NL Central: Maybe not so rancid anymore. If the Cubs were in the AL East, NL East, or NL West divisions, they'd be in first place. If they were in the AL Central or AL West, they'd be in second. But since they're in the NL Central, the third best team in the league is just a third place club.

Satanic Fowl .657
Kansas City .588
Houston .575
Pittsburgh .571
Cubs .565

Fifth best team in baseball even though they haven't truly heated up yet. This is fun.

Aside from the NL Central part of the equation, The fact that 2-4 are KC, Houston, and Pittsburgh would be baffling a few years ago.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2662 on: June 24, 2015, 04:23:06 PM »
Quote from: Bort on June 24, 2015, 04:14:14 PM

Satanic Fowl .657
Kansas City .588
Houston .575
Pittsburgh .571
Cubs .565

Aside from the NL Central part of the equation, The fact that 2-4 are KC, Houston, and Pittsburgh would be baffling a few years ago.

You're not fucking kidding.  Anybody know how I can get a message to 2013 me?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2663 on: June 24, 2015, 04:28:55 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 24, 2015, 04:23:06 PM
Quote from: Bort on June 24, 2015, 04:14:14 PM

Satanic Fowl .657
Kansas City .588
Houston .575
Pittsburgh .571
Cubs .565

You're not fucking kidding.  Anybody know how I can get a message to 2013 me?

Not one of those teams is top ten in payroll either. Cards are 11th, Cubs are 13th (something to stash away when a BFIBB remarks on the Cubs having to buy someone like Lester), Royals 16th, Astros 29th, Pirates 25th.

In fact only three of the top ten in payroll (Yankees in the 2nd AL Wild Card spot, Nats and Dodgers) would even be in the playoffs if they started today. Says a lot about how much the game has shifted towards the teams with the best player development infrastructures in the last 5+ years.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2664 on: August 13, 2015, 03:58:54 PM »
Pretty sure when Ryan Braun is 40 he will be worth -3 wins against the rest of the league and +3 against the Cubs. Glad the rest of his team is garbage. I hate his guts.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2665 on: September 21, 2015, 09:51:46 AM »
DPD.  The Brewers will try to out-Theo Theo: They've hired 30-year-old David Stearns (up until now Jeff Luhnow's top assistant in Houston) as their new GM. Once he takes the job, like Theo was when he became Red Sox GM at 28, Stearns will be the youngest general manager in the majors.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #2666 on: September 21, 2015, 10:04:08 AM »
Man, I love going back and reading the early pages of this thread. Lotta gold in there.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2667 on: September 21, 2015, 10:42:01 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 21, 2015, 09:51:46 AM
DPD.  The Brewers will try to out-Theo Theo: They've hired 30-year-old David Stearns (up until now Jeff Luhnow's top assistant in Houston) as their new GM. Once he takes the job, like Theo was when he became Red Sox GM at 28, Stearns will be the youngest general manager in the majors.

He's 30 now? That's good. Once a GM is younger than me, it'll really be a "what have you done with your life" moment.... which I should really be asking daily

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2668 on: September 21, 2015, 07:25:52 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 21, 2015, 10:42:01 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 21, 2015, 09:51:46 AM

He's 30 now? That's good. Once a GM is younger than me, it'll really be a "what have you done with your life" moment.... which I should really be asking daily

Yeah, I would still ask that. And I'm an unemployed secretary.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2669 on: October 12, 2015, 03:19:58 PM »
So, Houston.

Legacy's count.