News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bulls are insignificant right now.  ( 310,555 )

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Bulls are insignificant right now.
« Reply #660 on: February 11, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »
"3. Bulls-Spurs

Chicago gets: Matt Bonner, Roger Mason, Michael Finley, draft rights to Tiago Splitter

San Antonio gets: John Salmons, Tyrus Thomas

Would Chicago do it?
On the surface, it might seem that the Bulls would get killed in this deal because the Spurs would be getting the two best players in the trade.

But the Bulls have good reason to move Salmons and Thomas, neither of whom is in the team's long-term plans: They want the cap space such a trade would provide. Chicago can set itself up to be a serious player in free agency this summer, given the appeal of the market and the foundation of Derrick Rose, Luol Deng and Joakim Noah.

Bonner and Mason, who have expiring contracts, could contribute this season, and Splitter is a good prospect who could come in and help the Bulls in the middle next season. As a former first-round draft pick who has established himself in Europe, he might fit the bill if the Bulls are looking to get talent and/or picks in return for Thomas.

And then, if they can pull off trade No. 4 (see below), the Bulls could be in great position going into the summer shopping season. Chicago could be an attractive destination for the likes of James, Wade and Bosh or, at worst, players like Joe Johnson and David Lee.

Would San Antonio do it?
Maybe. The team needs immediate help, as they get older and fall behind the rest of the West. Both Salmons and Thomas would give the Spurs some younger legs, with Salmons also providing offensive punch and Thomas some defense and rebounding.

Thomas' problems in getting along with his coaches have been well-documented, but perhaps he would respond better to a coach like Gregg Popovich and a veteran team led by Tim Duncan. If so, Thomas could become a huge asset to the Spurs over the long haul.

The Spurs rarely make trades like this, but I can't think of a better one for them right now.

TRADE MACHINE

ESPN.com's Trade Machine breaks down the proposed deal here.

4. Lakers-Bulls

Chicago gets: Jordan Farmar, Adam Morrison, Josh Powell

Los Angeles gets: Kirk Hinrich

Would the Bulls do it?
John Paxson has been reluctant to give away Hinrich even though he's been in a funk since Derrick Rose arrived. But the time to move him is now. The team would be much better off next summer with the extra cap space, and Farmar would be a serviceable back-up for Rose in the meantime.

If Chicago could pull off this trade and the one above, it would be very much in the running for the top free agents this summer, with perhaps only Miami as well-positioned to enter the market.

Would Los Angeles do it?
Derek Fisher is struggling, Farmar hasn't progressed as the Lakers hoped, and Shannon Brown isn't really a point guard. So the Lakers need an upgrade at point guard and they don't have a lot of good options.

Hinrich might not be ideal, given his protracted offensive slump and sizable contract, but he is a smart player who should be a good fit in the triangle, and he can defend. And who else could the Lakers get? Look around the league and you'll see there doesn't appear to be a good trade partner for the Lakers other than Chicago. The other available point guards -- including Luke Ridnour, Chris Duhon, Ramon Sessions and T.J. Ford -- wouldn't fit as well as Hinrich.

The major concern about Hinrich appears to be the additional two years and $17 million on his contract after this season, which is a lot for a tax-paying team to take on. But are the Lakers really that strapped for cash? Even with the largest payroll in the league, they're still turning a profit."
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #661 on: February 11, 2010, 02:46:46 PM »
More Bulls news from Adrian Woj.

Bulls not lacking for suitors for Tyrus.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #662 on: February 11, 2010, 04:43:19 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on February 11, 2010, 10:41:20 AM
TRADE MACHINE

ESPN.com's Trade Machine breaks down the proposed deal here.

4. Lakers-Bulls

Chicago gets: Jordan Farmar, Adam Morrison, Josh Powell

Los Angeles gets: Kirk Hinrich

Would the Bulls do it?

Short answer:  Yes
Long answer:  When you have a chance to acquire Gonzaga's own Adam Morrison, "no" is not an option.  I would love for you guys that say you watch basketball to have the chance to watch Adam Morrison in 'professional' mode.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #663 on: February 17, 2010, 06:05:03 PM »
Salmons was told to stay back at the hotel for there's tradin' afoot.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #664 on: February 17, 2010, 06:35:06 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on February 17, 2010, 06:05:03 PM

Wish they could get someone to take Hinrich.  But no, he's like a cockroach.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #665 on: February 17, 2010, 06:37:36 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 17, 2010, 06:35:06 PM
Quote from: Slack-E on February 17, 2010, 06:05:03 PM

Wish they could get someone to take Hinrich.  But no, he's like a cockroach.

The reports all sound like his mere presence killed any chance of a Tyrus to Houston deal. Oh well.

Salmons is someone I'm not going to miss in the least.

Now I'm ready to be whelmed by the return on him.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #666 on: February 17, 2010, 06:40:13 PM »
From the Twitter of Adrian Wojanaweraskdwski: Cavs get Jamison, Telfair, Clippers get Gooden and Wash gets Illgauskas, Thornton, Brian Skinner and Cavs 1st round pick.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #667 on: February 17, 2010, 08:24:03 PM »
John Salmons to the Bucks for the expiring corpses contracts of Kurt Thomas and Frank Elson.

Sweeeeeeet.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #668 on: February 17, 2010, 09:17:35 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on February 17, 2010, 08:24:03 PM
John Salmons to the Bucks for the expiring corpses contracts of Kurt Thomas and Frank Elson.

Sweeeeeeet.

Well, at least they did something proactive for this summer.

I'd love to see them another deal to shed Kirk or Deng, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #669 on: February 17, 2010, 10:14:30 PM »
There still seems to be a market amongst contenders for both Tyrus and/or Kirk.  It wouldn't surprise me if either are left to go.

Great things about today's trades for the Bulls:

-No chance of the Salmons option, which means guaranteed full-boat space.

-Jamison is under contract next season, so if LeBron stays in Cleveland (the front runner, most likely) then no one else can go there for the max, I would assume.  Means no Lebron-Bosh/Wade super combo is likely.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #670 on: February 17, 2010, 11:22:14 PM »
Now they're saying Warrick and Joe Alexander for Salmons. Tyrus to the Knicks? Should be a fun day tomorrow.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #671 on: February 18, 2010, 10:44:41 AM »
Mike McGraw on Hinrich:

QuoteThe Bulls are still intent on trading Kirk Hinrich and opening even more cap room for the summer. That's their top priority in the final hours before the deadline.

Since the Kings saved money by trading Martin, maybe they'd be interested in Hinrich, who could be a nice veteran mentor to rookie guard Tyreke Evans. A couple of combinations would work – Hinrich, Brad Miller and Jannero Pargo, or Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas, Jerome James and Pargo.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #672 on: February 18, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »
DPD.

Looks like the Bulls are also trying to unload Tyrus to Charlotte for expirings and a draft choice.

And, finally, the Salmons trade is finalized.  It'll be the Warrick/Alexander package, which is better than the one from yesterday with Kurt Thomas.  Warrick is moderately useful, so that's something something.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #673 on: February 18, 2010, 11:24:56 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 18, 2010, 10:58:30 AM
DPD.

Looks like the Bulls are also trying to unload Tyrus to Charlotte for expirings and a draft choice.

And, finally, the Salmons trade is finalized.  It'll be the Warrick/Alexander package, which is better than the one from yesterday with Kurt Thomas.  Warrick is moderately useful, so that's something something.

I think Alexander was part of a dunk contest once.  Or he should have been.  He will be like Jud.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #674 on: February 18, 2010, 11:26:50 AM »
QuoteThe Charlotte Bobcats are close to acquiring Chicago Bulls forward Tyrus Thomas for Acie Law, Flip Murray and a future first-round pick, sources said.

The expirings won't really matter in terms of cap space, since they were just going to renounce Tyrus' rights this summer.  But getting a first-round pick out of the deal is pretty impressive for whoever actually runs the Bulls' front office these days.  Two good moves in two days.