News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Infinite Death  ( 16,555 )

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Infinite Death
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2009, 09:28:34 AM »
Quote from: Slak on June 22, 2009, 11:07:43 PM
Quote from: RV on June 22, 2009, 08:53:08 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on June 22, 2009, 04:35:37 PM
Quote from: 5laky on September 14, 2008, 03:41:30 PM
Quote from: Jon on September 14, 2008, 10:00:31 AM
Yeah, I just read that. I've never read him, but I've been told to more than once.

If you ever were so inclined, pick up Infinite Jest and give it a shot.

I know this isn't the Book Club thread, but I just picked this up.
I'll get back to you in 2014 when I finish it.

I'm almost 300 pages in, and it's an awesome book. The first 100-150 pages are a little tough/confusing, but stick with it. Definitely worth it once you start to figure out the characters. Our timing is great, because some bookfaggots who are smarter than us are blogging about it this summer:

http://infinitesummer.org/archives/215

Goddamn it. I read this alone with no support and had to convince the one dude that I knew who would, to read it. He did, but after I had finished.

Anyway, my advice is to use a pen when you read it and mark the words you have never heard before. Also, don't skip the footnotes. You're not reading it to get it over with, you want the full experience. I usually would make a note in the margin where the footnotes were so I could go back after every break to see what they said. Some are one sentence or less, some are multiple pages.

Maybe when you guys finish we can talk about your favorite parts? Pretty please?

I'm picking this up next time I'm in the local Bookatorium. So this can be the fhaggiest book club EVER!
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2009, 11:08:23 AM »
Yeah, I just read that. I've never read him, but I've been told to more than once.

I'm almost 300 pages in, and it's an awesome book. The first 100-150 pages are a little tough/confusing, but stick with it. Definitely worth it once you start to figure out the characters. Our timing is great, because some bookfaggots who are smarter than us are blogging about it this summer:

Goddamn it. I read this alone with no support and had to convince the one dude that I knew who would, to read it. He did, but after I had finished.

Anyway, my advice is to use a pen when you read it and mark the words you have never heard before. Also, don't skip the footnotes. You're not reading it to get it over with, you want the full experience. I usually would make a note in the margin where the footnotes were so I could go back after every break to see what they said. Some are one sentence or less, some are multiple pages.

Maybe when you guys finish we can talk about your favorite parts? Pretty please?

You're totally going to make us write a paper on this, aren't you?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2009, 11:38:35 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 23, 2009, 11:08:23 AM

I just wanna TALK to someone about it. When you start going through it you'll understand. It's fucking weird and awesome.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2009, 01:46:32 PM »
Quote from: Slak on June 23, 2009, 11:38:35 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on June 23, 2009, 11:08:23 AM

I just wanna TALK to someone about it. When you start going through it you'll understand. It's fucking weird and awesome.

Some advice...

http://infinitesummer.org/archives/277

QuoteDon't sweat all the Hamlet stuff; you can worry about those references on the second time through if you actually like it enough to read it a second time. Leave your dictionary at home; let Wallace's grammatical gymnastics and extensive vocabulary wash right over you; you'll get the gist and the gist is more than enough. Is the novel postmodern or not? Who f'ing cares...the story stands on its own. You're likely to miss at least 50% of what's going on in IJ the first time though and it doesn't matter.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2009, 02:05:45 PM »
I agree.  Definitely read all the footnotes as you go.

But don't get caught up on the fact that DFW's vocabulary is both awesome and awesomely utilized.

Now I'm going to have to reread this book...

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 08:27:12 AM »
The chapter on Eschaton is quite possibly the most entertaining 20 pages of any book I've ever read (starts on pg. 321 Pen if you want something to look forward to). Absolutely hilarious and awesome.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2009, 08:50:35 AM »
Quote from: RV on June 30, 2009, 08:27:12 AM
The chapter on Eschaton is quite possibly the most entertaining 20 pages of any book I've ever read (starts on pg. 321 Pen if you want something to look forward to). Absolutely hilarious and awesome.

What blows my mind is that someone fucking made that up. For a book. That guy had an amazing mind.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2009, 08:58:32 AM »
Quote from: Slak on June 30, 2009, 08:50:35 AM

What blows my mind is that someone fucking made that up. For a book. That guy had an amazing mind.

I'm still laughing about Otis P. Lord solemnly opening up the lockbox on his food cart to pull out the red beanie that signifies Utter Global Crisis.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2009, 11:34:57 AM »

I should be on Page 321 somewhere around Christmas time.
Having a newborn and being in grad school have basically limited my reading time to the bathroom...hemorrhoids be damned!

I am enjoying it though. The 4-5 page internal mind rant on the guy waiting for his dope to get delivered was priceless.

I just didn't want you to be "waiting" for me.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »
Quote from: Slak on June 30, 2009, 08:50:35 AM

I really really want to play that game.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2009, 12:41:05 PM »
My favorite part in history is the musings on the failure of the video phone to catch on.

For a time I was also obsessed with the Wheelchair Assassins.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2009, 12:48:07 PM »
Quote from: Slak on June 30, 2009, 12:41:05 PM
My favorite part in history is the musings on the failure of the video phone to catch on.

For a time I was also obsessed with the Wheelchair Assassins.

The idea of the masks and dioramas was outstanding and probably not far removed from what would actually hai.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2009, 01:04:58 PM »
Fine.  I'll pick up the book.  Can we go back to talking about death and zombies in here now?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2009, 01:14:47 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 30, 2009, 01:04:58 PM
Fine.  I'll pick up the book.  Can we go back to talking about death and zombies in here now?

Tell her no, no, no, no, nah nah nah nah no, no, no, no, nah nah nah nah no, no, no, no.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2009, 01:17:45 PM »
Quote from: Fork on June 30, 2009, 01:14:47 PM
Quote from: Oleg on June 30, 2009, 01:04:58 PM

Tell her no, no, no, no, nah nah nah nah no, no, no, no, nah nah nah nah no, no, no, no.

There have got to be at least 40 other threads you can ruin instead of this one.