News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Rock Band 2/Guitar Queer-o World Tour  ( 52,469 )

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
Rock Band 2/Guitar Queer-o World Tour
« on: October 28, 2008, 01:59:28 PM »
Anyone picked these up yet?

In my quest to entertain myself I have bought both sans instruments. So I'm just using the wireless GH III controller with both games and playing the guitar parts and trying to unlock songs. So far I'd have to give Rock Band 2 the big edge in game play. Guitar Hero is kind of tedious as far as the career solo mode goes.

I've also gone online with a couple of friends and we can play in the same band and do those challenges which are really fun. I find myself fighting a compulsion to not only buy all of the DLC for RB2 but also to go out and get the drums and mic. And I hate myself for it.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Rock Band 2/Guitar Queer-o World Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 02:30:19 PM »
I have RB2.  I gave up on the Guitar Hero series when it started getting too metal-heavy for my tastes.  I like the setlist for RB2 a lot more, and the Band World Tour mode is awesome.

I think I'm the only person in the world who likes the Rock Band guitars far better than the Guitar Hero ones.  I hate the click when you strum GH guitars, and RB2 doesn't have that.  It also has bigger fret buttons, making it easier to slide your hand around the neck, in my opinion.

The RB2 drums are awesome, and now they have add-on cymbals.  The cymbals aren't as cool as the GH: WT ones do, since RB2 doesn't "force" you to play the cymbals, but rather is an alternative to one of the other drum pads.  They play like cymbals for the drum fills and the big endings, though, and they look as cool as a plastic instrument can look.

If you don't want to have to pick up a microphone, you can sing through your Xbox Live headset if you plug it into a controller.  But that's not as fun.

Also, RB2 (and I'm sure GT: WT) is really fun in a group, especially if you have drums and a microphone.  It's the best party game since Mario Kart.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 02:38:02 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on October 28, 2008, 02:30:19 PM
I have RB2.  I gave up on the Guitar Hero series when it started getting too metal-heavy for my tastes.  I like the setlist for RB2 a lot more, and the Band World Tour mode is awesome.

I think I'm the only person in the world who likes the Rock Band guitars far better than the Guitar Hero ones.  I hate the click when you strum GH guitars, and RB2 doesn't have that.  It also has bigger fret buttons, making it easier to slide your hand around the neck, in my opinion.

The RB2 drums are awesome, and now they have add-on cymbals.  The cymbals aren't as cool as the GH: WT ones do, since RB2 doesn't "force" you to play the cymbals, but rather is an alternative to one of the other drum pads.  They play like cymbals for the drum fills and the big endings, though, and they look as cool as a plastic instrument can look.

If you don't want to have to pick up a microphone, you can sing through your Xbox Live headset if you plug it into a controller.  But that's not as fun.

Also, RB2 (and I'm sure GT: WT) is really fun in a group, especially if you have drums and a microphone.  It's the best party game since Mario Kart.

Mario Kart rules.

That tidbit about the headset is news to me. Good news. Great news. My mindgrapes are squeez-ed.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 02:51:56 PM »
Quote from: 5laky on October 28, 2008, 02:38:02 PM
That tidbit about the headset is news to me. Good news. Great news. My mindgrapes are squeez-ed.

It also makes it easier to play guitar/drums and sing at the same time, if you're into that sort of thing.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 03:24:37 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on October 28, 2008, 02:51:56 PM

It also makes it easier to play guitar/drums and sing at the same time, if you're into that sort of thing.

We had this discussion at work today, thinking you'd have to rig up some kind of mic stand. Instead you've blown us away with this news.

My work makes me sad.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »
Quote from: 5laky on October 28, 2008, 03:24:37 PM

We had this discussion at work today, thinking you'd have to rig up some kind of mic stand. Instead you've blown us away with this news.

My work makes me sad.

If you try it, keep in mind, you have to plug the headset into a separate controller to control the "singer."  If you stand up and play, you'll have to keep the controller in your pocket, or something.  You can't just plug the headset into the guitar.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 03:31:20 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on October 28, 2008, 03:29:09 PM
Quote from: 5laky on October 28, 2008, 03:24:37 PM

My work makes me sad.

If you try it, keep in mind, you have to plug the headset into a separate controller to control the "singer."  If you stand up and play, you'll have to keep the controller in your pocket, or something.  You can't just plug the headset into the guitar.

I had totally considered that as I carefully went over this scenario in my mind. I wish I was joking.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 03:37:39 PM »
Do the GH guitars work with RB?  We have GH3 Wii and I'm being pushed by the Nine Year Old for WT.  If RB is better and I can use the guitar I already have, then I have more options.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 28, 2008, 03:37:39 PM
Do the GH guitars work with RB?  We have GH3 Wii and I'm being pushed by the Nine Year Old for WT.  If RB is better and I can use the guitar I already have, then I have more options.

Yes, but I don't think RB guitars work on GH, for what it's worth.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 04:33:36 PM »
I've had Rock Band 2, with the original Rock Band instruments.  My drum set is starting to get worn down, and I've never been a fan of how loud they are or how hard it is to do certain things, but it's still awesome.  I've downloaded probably 3 or 4 GB worth of new songs for it.  I was thinking of picking up GH:WT, but I've heard it's not that great.  I saw this badass bass guitar for RB2 at Best Buy one day.  It's the regular size of a bass, it has two strum bars so you can play it like a real bass, and has a lot of other really awesome features.  I want to pick it up, but I think it costs somewhere around $100.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 05:35:19 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on October 28, 2008, 04:33:36 PM
I've had Rock Band 2, with the original Rock Band instruments.  My drum set is starting to get worn down, and I've never been a fan of how loud they are or how hard it is to do certain things, but it's still awesome.  I've downloaded probably 3 or 4 GB worth of new songs for it.  I was thinking of picking up GH:WT, but I've heard it's not that great.  I saw this badass bass guitar for RB2 at Best Buy one day.  It's the regular size of a bass, it has two strum bars so you can play it like a real bass, and has a lot of other really awesome features.  I want to pick it up, but I think it costs somewhere around $100.

In the interest of full disclosure, it also doesn't have a whammy bar.

But here it is, if you're interested.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 06:24:18 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on October 28, 2008, 05:35:19 PM

Yeah, it has a whammy knob or whatever the hell it's called.  Apparently, it isn't as annoying as it seems like it would be.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 07:02:02 PM »

But why would a bass have a whammy bar?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 07:59:33 PM »
Quote from: Fork on October 28, 2008, 07:02:02 PM

It wouldn't.  That's why it doesn't.  But when playing fake bass guitar, you sometimes need a whammy bar.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 08:03:19 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on October 28, 2008, 07:59:33 PM
Quote from: Fork on October 28, 2008, 07:02:02 PM

It wouldn't.  That's why it doesn't.  But when playing fake bass guitar, you sometimes need a whammy bar.

I understand that, I guess. Although, bass players generally don't do much, a la John Entwistle. If you're gonna fake it, be Towser.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16