News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: New Xbox Experience Sploogefest Thread.  ( 34,162 )

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: New Xbox Experience Sploogefest Thread.
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 12:49:13 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on November 19, 2008, 12:11:36 PM
Quote from: Weebs on November 19, 2008, 11:55:43 AM
Quote from: Kerm on November 19, 2008, 11:53:13 AM
Or THIS.

That's pretty big installs.  But it's worth it for something like Rock Band 2, that I'd just pick up and play a lot.  On the other hand, that's not exactly a game that takes advantage of installing on the HDD.

I did just update the 360 though, and the new setup is pretty cool.  The avatar thing, for completely ripping off the Mii isn't that bad.  The interface, however, I find kind of odd.  It almost feels like they've taken things out, or at the very least made navigation much more difficult.  I do like the new setup for when you hit the Guide button though.  The old pop-out dash was annoying.  Oh, and where do you set the keyboard for QWERTY?  I couldn't find it in the settings anywhere.

It's not just automatically QWERTY for you?  It was for me.

Also, you still need the original disc to boot up the game if you do the HD install.  I'm sure MS would have seriously problems with game theft if they didn't still require the original disc.

Right.  Again, making Rock Band a horrible choice for install.  Mass Effect would probably be a good one to put on there.  Basically anything with long load times.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 01:21:55 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on November 19, 2008, 12:49:13 PM
Quote from: Kerm on November 19, 2008, 12:11:36 PM
Quote from: Weebs on November 19, 2008, 11:55:43 AM
Quote from: Kerm on November 19, 2008, 11:53:13 AM
Or THIS.

That's pretty big installs.  But it's worth it for something like Rock Band 2, that I'd just pick up and play a lot.  On the other hand, that's not exactly a game that takes advantage of installing on the HDD.

I did just update the 360 though, and the new setup is pretty cool.  The avatar thing, for completely ripping off the Mii isn't that bad.  The interface, however, I find kind of odd.  It almost feels like they've taken things out, or at the very least made navigation much more difficult.  I do like the new setup for when you hit the Guide button though.  The old pop-out dash was annoying.  Oh, and where do you set the keyboard for QWERTY?  I couldn't find it in the settings anywhere.

It's not just automatically QWERTY for you?  It was for me.

Also, you still need the original disc to boot up the game if you do the HD install.  I'm sure MS would have seriously problems with game theft if they didn't still require the original disc.

Right.  Again, making Rock Band a horrible choice for install.  Mass Effect would probably be a good one to put on there.  Basically anything with long load times.

I suspect I'll probably rotate a handful of the games I play most often on there to reduce the use of the optical drive.  It's definitely a neat feature to have (I think the PS3 has had it since launch, right?).

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 10:18:10 AM »
Finally downloaded this last night, and even though it is different and will take some getting used to, I am very happy with it. I like the visual changes. It looks very modern and seams to flow pretty well. I have no real objection to it as of yet. Does anyone know if there were supposed to be games you could play online for free with other people? I seam to remember hearing somewhere that there were very simple games that you could play against other avatars and you wouldn't have to pay for them. I couldn't find anything on them last night, so I'm starting to think I might be wrong in my recollection of that.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 10:29:53 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 20, 2008, 10:18:10 AM
Finally downloaded this last night, and even though it is different and will take some getting used to, I am very happy with it. I like the visual changes. It looks very modern and seams to flow pretty well. I have no real objection to it as of yet. Does anyone know if there were supposed to be games you could play online for free with other people? I seam to remember hearing somewhere that there were very simple games that you could play against other avatars and you wouldn't have to pay for them. I couldn't find anything on them last night, so I'm starting to think I might be wrong in my recollection of that.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 11:14:56 AM »
Seam.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 02:40:02 PM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on November 20, 2008, 11:14:56 AM
Seam.

Even though the SEAMS in my original post were to make teh funny, I found myself twice today, typing it in an email I was sending clients.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 10:46:56 PM »
Seams like old times.

I'm just happy to see that Kerm's Xbox avatar is even gheyer than mine.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 12:51:31 PM »
Quote from: Andy on November 21, 2008, 10:46:56 PM
Seams like old times.

I'm just happy to see that Kerm's Xbox avatar is even gheyer than mine.

That's because it looks like me.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 01:49:38 PM »
I haven't been able to download the update as of yet.  I really don't think it's that big of a deal.  I don't have Netflix, so I don't really care a whole lot.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 05:11:18 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on November 22, 2008, 01:49:38 PM
I haven't been able to download the update as of yet.  I really don't think it's that big of a deal.  I don't have Netflix, so I don't really care a whole lot.

Just wait until you download the free trial and watch the Kama Sutra video... Not a bad flick.. Pretty funny flick

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 06:57:45 PM »

You're just saying that because you haven't tried it.

GET HIM!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2008, 03:06:53 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on November 22, 2008, 06:57:45 PM

You're just saying that because you haven't tried it.

GET HIM!

You're avatar is punch me in the dick funny.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Simmer

• Play Ball
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2008, 06:50:43 PM »
What's the word on installing games to your hard drive?  I've heard responses from all over the spectrum. 

On one end -- "Eliminates disc noise, runs smoother, cuts down load times, makes for a better experience"

On the other -- "::KEYBOARD SMASH::  FUCK MICROSOFT, increases load times, glitches games, ruins console, makes for a shittier experience"

What's a guy to do?  I can't exactly get access to my XLive account right now (even though it just auto renewed), but I'm interested to hear about this aspect of it.  Eliminating disc noise and reducing the strain on the console would be a huge factor for me.
2010 Chicago Cubs
75-87

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2008, 08:09:01 PM »
I can say that the Netflix thing is awesome.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 10:29:01 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on November 23, 2008, 08:09:01 PM
I can say that the Netflix thing is awesome.

I can second this.  I watched all 15 episodes of the second season of FNL this week (well, 13, since I'd watched the first two when they were released).  Great stuff, and they're only going to increase the selection.

Simmer, I installed the games I figure I'll play most (Gears 2, Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Saints Row 2, NHL 09) this weekend.  The only one I've given significant play time to is Gears, and it's really nice to not have to listen to your optical drive grinding away.  Plus, the install process only takes about 5 minutes.

Pre installed Fallout 3, and he said it's like a totally different experience.  For the better.