News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: FUCK YOU CRANE KENNEY  ( 18,924 )

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
FUCK YOU CRANE KENNEY
« on: December 05, 2008, 07:24:56 PM »
I just received a nice letter from Crane...

He would like to earn my loyalty with a 16.9% increase in the price of my season tickets.
Apparently I'm not part of the 33% of inventory that had prices frozen.
Coincidentally, by the end of '08 the firm I work for will have fired about 33% of its employees.
I'm not expecting sympathy about this stuff and some will even find it amusing.
BUT I'M REALLY PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW.

Like MikeD ANGRY.

(Apologies this won't fit in one post so continued in the next)

Thank you for your record-breaking support in 2008. With more than 3.3 million tickets sold, more people
attended Cubs games in 2008 than ever in our organization's history. You saw the most home wins (55) by
any Cub team in 73 years, the first back-to-back post-season appearances in 100 years, eight National
League All-Stars, the N.L. Rookie of the Year and N.L. Manager of the Year. In years past, this would
qualify as a very successful season.
But times have changed. Because of the physical, emotional and financial investment by our fans, players,
coaches and front office, regular season success is no longer enough. We know that without success in the
regular season we wouldn't have the opportunity to win a World Championship. But just as clearly, our
playoff performance has not measured up to our expectations or yours. We are committed to finishing the
job and welcome raised expectations. In many ways, our level of disappointment following a 97-win
season shows we are pointed in the right direction.
Our on-field improvement didn't happen by accident—it is the result of significant investment in the
organization. Our 2008 payroll was the second highest in the National League and is $50 million higher
than in 2003. It will increase again next year. Our investment in both the domestic amateur draft and
international signings, as well as upgrades to our coaching, scouting and player development areas, have
led to the rise of home-grown talent, such as Geovany Soto, Carlos Marmol, Ryan Theriot and Jeff
Samardzjia.
Without the benefit of public funding like most teams in our sport, we have also made sizable investments
in Wrigley Field. In 2008, we competed on a new $1.6 million playing surface and invested more than $3
million in capital projects to maintain Wrigley Field and improve fan amenities. In 2009, we will focus on
renovations to some of our public spaces, such as the Friendly Confines Café.
Recognizing the dire state of the economy, we looked at every possible avenue to avoid raising ticket prices
for 2009. We are evaluating new marketing programs, like the Bud Light Bleachers, that weave corporate
sponsorship into the ballpark without changing the fundamental character of Wrigley Field. We are
planning to add new media opportunities and will continue utilizing the ballpark on non-game days, with
events like the NHL Winter Classic, the Road to Wrigley minor league game, Wrigley Field tours and
concerts.
Despite these new initiatives, we are increasing ticket prices in 2009 for our highest quality seats. Overall,
we've frozen ticket prices for 33% of our inventory, keeping some of our most affordable inventory flat
with 2008 prices. But because our best seats are sold to our season ticket holders, you will see an increase
over 2008. We hoped to hold the line on all of your seats, as we did in 2007, but it was not possible
without hurting the competitiveness of the team or the maintenance of our 94-year old ballpark.
The biggest change for 2009 is the creation of a fourth category of dates -- the platinum games --that
encompass 14 games against some of our most popular opponents. Historically, these 14 games are the
most actively traded on Stub-Hub and other secondary market sites. Excluding the 14 platinum games,
average ticket prices for 2009 are up 6%...
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: FUCK YOU CRANE KENNEY
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 07:25:44 PM »
I hope you have had a chance to visit the new Web site constructed for season ticket holders at
www.cubs.com\sth. The creation of this Web site results from input we received at our "Tell it to the
Cubs" lunches held during the 2008 season for season ticket holders. We will again host these lunch
forums in 2009 to get your feedback on our performance and to identify ways to improve your experience
at Wrigley Field.
In the meantime, please use the new Web site to learn about promotions reserved for season ticket holders,
such as the availability of tickets for the NHL Winter Classic, Cubs spring training games, concerts and our
recently announced exhibition games that will open new Yankee Stadium on April 3 and 4.
We hope you will continue your support of Cubs baseball by renewing your season tickets for 2009. To do
so, please return the enclosed renewal form to us by mail or fax on or before December 19, 2008, or send
us an e-mail at cubsseasontickets@cubs.com stating you intend to renew. A deposit is not required at this
time but payment is due in full by January 19, 2009.
To retain your seats, it is imperative we hear from you by December 19.
Please also provide your updated email address to us at cubsseasontickets@cubs.com. Your email address
is the most efficient way to communicate with you regarding Cubs news and in-season updates, including
changes in game times.
Once again, thank you for supporting the Chicago Cubs. We appreciate you sticking with us and are
committed to earning your loyalty in everything we do. Please do not hesitate to contact the Ticket Office
at 773-404-CUBS if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
Crane Kenney
Chairman

ooooh... Platinum Games... those are going to be so much more special.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 08:12:40 PM »
Why the hell would the freeze prices on a third of all tickets? Aren't they just bought up at face value and resold for great profit?

MidgetSellingWater

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 09:13:52 PM »
I echo these sentiments.  Kenney can go fuck himself.  My tickets for the platinum games jumped from $46 last year to $56 this year.  We're getting into Fenway territory here.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 09:14:43 PM »
Quote from: flannj on December 05, 2008, 07:25:44 PM
I hope you have had a chance to visit the new Web site constructed for season ticket holders at
www.cubs.com\sth. The creation of this Web site results from input we received at our "Tell it to the
Cubs" lunches held during the 2008 season for season ticket holders. We will again host these lunch
forums in 2009 to get your feedback on our performance and to identify ways to improve your experience
at Wrigley Field.
In the meantime, please use the new Web site to learn about promotions reserved for season ticket holders,
such as the availability of tickets for the NHL Winter Classic, Cubs spring training games, concerts and our
recently announced exhibition games that will open new Yankee Stadium on April 3 and 4.
We hope you will continue your support of Cubs baseball by renewing your season tickets for 2009. To do
so, please return the enclosed renewal form to us by mail or fax on or before December 19, 2008, or send
us an e-mail at cubsseasontickets@cubs.com stating you intend to renew. A deposit is not required at this
time but payment is due in full by January 19, 2009.
To retain your seats, it is imperative we hear from you by December 19.
Please also provide your updated email address to us at cubsseasontickets@cubs.com. Your email address
is the most efficient way to communicate with you regarding Cubs news and in-season updates, including
changes in game times.
Once again, thank you for supporting the Chicago Cubs. We appreciate you sticking with us and are
committed to earning your loyalty in everything we do. Please do not hesitate to contact the Ticket Office
at 773-404-CUBS if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
Crane Kenney
Chairman

ooooh... Platinum Games... those are going to be so much more special.

Hey, those games are the only ones crane comes out in full regalia

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 10:08:36 PM »
Quote from: MidgetSellingWater on December 05, 2008, 09:13:52 PM
I echo these sentiments.  Kenney Adam Smith and the law of supply and demand can go fuck himself themselves.  My tickets for the platinum games jumped from $46 last year to $56 this year.  We're getting into Fenway territory here.
Pro-America'd

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 11:42:02 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 05, 2008, 10:08:36 PM
Quote from: MidgetSellingWater on December 05, 2008, 09:13:52 PM
I echo these sentiments.  Kenney Adam Smith and the law of supply and demand can go fuck himself themselves.  My tickets for the platinum games jumped from $46 last year to $56 this year.  We're getting into Fenway territory here.
Pro-America'dI'm not expecting sympathy about this stuff and some will even find it amusing.
Like I said'd

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 09:01:07 AM »
It's going to be a hard year for professional sports franchises. Even the Cubs.  Raising ticket prices is probably the worst things most franchises can do. Unfortunately, I don't think demand for Cubs tickets will be affected.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 09:11:08 AM »
Quote from: TJ on December 06, 2008, 09:01:07 AM
It's going to be a hard year for professional sports franchises. Even the Cubs.  Raising ticket prices is probably the worst things most franchises can do. Unfortunately, I don't think demand for Cubs tickets will be affected.

At some point, maybe this season, people's priorities will shift. However, there wil be some who won't mind, they'll just get the limit on their Visa card bumped up.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 10:00:46 AM »
Quote from: flannj on December 05, 2008, 07:24:56 PM
We hoped to hold the line on all of your seats, as we did in 2007, but it was not possible without hurting the competitiveness of the team or the maintenance of our 94-year old ballpark.

They're totally going to be hanging their hat on that 2007 ticket price freeze for the next 50 years, aren't they?

Excluding the 14 platinum games, average ticket prices for 2009 are up 6%.

Well, when you put it that way...

Relatedly, if you exclude the 9524 games they've lost, the Cubs are a perfect 10082 and 0 in franchise history.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 10:24:18 AM »
QuoteWithout the benefit of public funding like most teams in our sport, we have also made sizable investments in Wrigley Field.

Boo fucking hoo.

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 10:55:52 AM »

We hoped to hold the line on all of your seats, as we did in 2007, but it was not possible without hurting the competitiveness of the team or the maintenance of our 94-year old ballpark.

C'mon guys, part of this ticket increase is going to maintain beautiful Wrigley Field.  Al Yellon is okay with it, you should be too.

Plus I'm sure they need the funds for that parking garage that MacPhail promised would be built in exchange for the bleacher expansion project. 

Right?

I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 10:58:43 AM »
Quote from: CT II on December 06, 2008, 10:55:52 AM

C'mon guys, part of this ticket increase is going to maintain beautiful Wrigley Field.  Al Yellon is okay with it, you should be too.

Plus I'm sure they need the funds for that parking garage that MacPhail promised would be built in exchange for the bleacher expansion project. 

Right?

I'm already laughing in anticipation of what the cue ball will be paying in 2009 to sit 400+ feet from the pitchers mound.
FIRE EVERYBODY!

De Jesus

• Leftist Scum
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 08:21:01 PM »
Quote from: RV on December 06, 2008, 10:24:18 AM
QuoteWithout the benefit of public funding like most teams in our sport, we have also made sizable investments in Wrigley Field.

Boo fucking hoo.
As far as I'm concerned, fuck it.  Get the state and city funds.  Build a new ballpark. 

Turn Wrigley into a Cubs museum/tournament park and give it to the Chicago park district in exchange for new land.  All the new seats you gain are worth more than the land was, anyway.  They could even play the home series against the Sox there every year.  People would probably pay double for those tickets.  Build the new stadium right on the lakefront.  Make the park district give up a piece of that golf course just north of Lincoln park.  It's not like people won't have plenty of golf courses to go to when it's gone or reduced.  Sell the naming rights to the highest bidder for all I care.  Just make sure there's ample parking.  I'm sure it will be for the $20 it'll cost. 

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 09:19:12 PM »
Quote from: De Jesus on December 06, 2008, 08:21:01 PM
Quote from: RV on December 06, 2008, 10:24:18 AM

Boo fucking hoo.
As far as I'm concerned, fuck it.  Get the state and city funds.  Build a new ballpark. 

Turn Wrigley into a Cubs museum/tournament park and give it to the Chicago park district in exchange for new land.  All the new seats you gain are worth more than the land was, anyway.  They could even play the home series against the Sox there every year.  People would probably pay double for those tickets.  Build the new stadium right on the lakefront.  Make the park district give up a piece of that golf course just north of Lincoln park.  It's not like people won't have plenty of golf courses to go to when it's gone or reduced.  Sell the naming rights to the highest bidder for all I care.  Just make sure there's ample parking.  I'm sure it will be for the $20 it'll cost. 

Parking is overrated. I don't care what happens to Wrigley, but don't make me go to a mallpark surrounded by a sea of asphalt.