News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 143,977 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #885 on: January 19, 2016, 06:14:04 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on January 19, 2016, 02:08:47 PM
Quote from: Yeti on January 19, 2016, 01:50:09 PM
Quote from: Brownie on January 19, 2016, 01:33:57 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 19, 2016, 09:02:53 AM
Quote from: Brownie on January 18, 2016, 12:20:38 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 18, 2016, 12:09:18 PM
Quote from: CT III on January 18, 2016, 11:21:53 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 18, 2016, 08:35:41 AM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 18, 2016, 12:32:34 AM
Quote from: Brownie on January 17, 2016, 10:11:23 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 17, 2016, 02:21:25 PM
Todd's gonna Todd.

Fuck the Mets. Sylvie and Todd are OK by me.

If you don't enjoy watching the Mets lose, there's something wrong with you.

That's fine for fans but it sounded pretty unprofessional for an owner.

It sounded dead on for a guy whose dad has major plans for all his kids, but only runs a bike shop.

It's almost like parents shouldn't plan out their kids lives in advance for them.

Pretty sure only Pete is living up to dad's standards.

To be fair, Todd has held a few executive positions with TD Ameritrade along with a couple other financial firms. He also owns a couple bike shops, is a director of a Major League Baseball team, runs a couple PACs, and dabbles in VC along with his wife, who also runs a couple non-profits. In other words, he does roughly what Chuck would be doing if Chuck was the sole jackpot Powerball winner last week.

And Todd is not ashamed to admit he hates the New York Mets, Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Bud fucking Harrelson, Danny Goddam Heap, Darryl Motherfucking Strawberry, David Wright and the rest of them. Go get 'em, Todd!

...and he gives his dad's money to political candidates TJ likes.  Full disclosure.

And you'd never see me giving money to any politician not named Chuck Gitles. Given I'm never running for anything ever again, pretty sure all my future charitable donations are going to deserving people, not wannabe reality TV stars who want a public paycheck to rant and rail and do nothing.

Full disclosure was given.

Besides Chuck lumping "political contributions" in with "charitable donations" (if he can't discern the difference, I'm sadly disappointed), it's even more puzzling that Chuck would refuse support a candidate or a political cause he believes in. Mike D. showed how so many Presidents going back to Hoover came from humble origins. Would Chuck rather allow the government to be run only by those who are independently wealthy (Rauner, Trump) or those supported by the likes of Michael Madigan (or George Soros or the Koch Brothers or Michael Bloomberg or Todd and Joe Ricketts)?

I'm not sure what costs Chuck's D-30 caucus committee incurred to run in just a portion of Glenview and Northbrook for, what, 3500 votes?

But sure, dump on Todd Ricketts. Go Mets.

Wait, did you suggest that contributions to PACs are charitable in nature and not political?

Chuck suggested that, not me.

Sorry, when I read yours, I saw your original bolded part.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #886 on: November 19, 2016, 08:00:09 PM »
It's Secretary of Commerce Todd or Ambassador to Canada Todd to you.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #887 on: November 19, 2016, 08:10:14 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 19, 2016, 08:00:09 PM

NVRTRMP until it serves them.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #888 on: November 19, 2016, 08:36:26 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 19, 2016, 08:00:09 PM

But I thought the Cubs sucked and were terribly run.

Besides, he'll be Secretary of Ending Spending (annual budget: 2.3 billion).
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #889 on: November 02, 2017, 05:51:07 PM »
Joe Ricketts:

Shut down your unprofitable news site and layoff 115 people? Understandable.

Delete the archives of their work a week after they vote to unionize which only serves to make it harder for your employees to find a new job?  Asswipe.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #890 on: November 03, 2017, 07:35:38 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 02, 2017, 05:51:07 PM
Joe Ricketts:

Shut down your unprofitable news site and layoff 115 people? Understandable.

Delete the archives of their work a week after they vote to unionize which only serves to make it harder for your employees to find a new job?  Asswipe.

Yeah. That was an absolute dick move.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #891 on: January 07, 2021, 09:09:58 PM »
Deadspin ranks the Ricketts among the top idiots of the year:

"Picking any MLB owner over another one for this esteemed honor is truly sticking your hand in a pile of goo and trying to guess this chunk might be. But the Ricketts family has been particularly foul in every way, from incompetence to malice to their tightwad handling of the Cubs. They rolled out their new network along with societal pox Sinclair, and it had all the production value and creativity of a college station at 3am. They tried to claim that 70% of their revenue was lost thanks to having no fans. They?ve spent two years not adding to their contending team, and crying poor and threatening to strip it down because they can?t afford it, even though they laugh about their ballpark and neighborhood improvements running $500 million over budget. One of them was the fundraising chair for Donald Trump. They got landmark status for Wrigley which will get them tens of millions in tax breaks, and yet still held the city of Chicago up for a delay on a $250,000 payment on minor improvements on the property around Wrigley until 2024. They are the crystalized symbol of modern sports wealth?incompetence feeling entitled thanks to money they had nothing to do with earning and utterly shocked that the majority don?t see the world the way they do, and yet facing no consequences for any of it."

If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #892 on: January 08, 2021, 03:09:16 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 07, 2021, 09:09:58 PM
Deadspin ranks the Ricketts among the top idiots of the year:

"They rolled out their new network along with societal pox Sinclair, and it had all the production value and creativity of a college station at 3am.

I've gotten WHPK to play "Halifax" by the Hampton Grease Band around that hour. They win.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #893 on: January 15, 2021, 01:13:18 PM »
It's pretty impressive how quickly they flushed all the goodwill that came from ending a 108 year World Series drought. If they sold the team today, there would be celebrations all over the city.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #894 on: January 16, 2021, 02:04:48 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on January 15, 2021, 01:13:18 PM
It's pretty impressive how quickly they flushed all the goodwill that came from ending a 108 year World Series drought. If they sold the team today, there would be celebrations all over the city.

That's the problem with promising a perennial contender. People get pissed when you stop trying to contend.
M'lady.