News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 109,890 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
MLB 2K9
« on: January 10, 2009, 01:16:41 PM »
I'm going to start a thread in here so I don't ANGER up Huey's ANGER on the general board.  They released the list of features, and I'm actually encouraged.  Looks like VC is going to fix a lot of the stuff that made the last game so disjointed.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 05:08:27 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on January 10, 2009, 01:16:41 PM
I'm going to start a thread in here so I don't ANGER up Huey's ANGER on the general board.  They released the list of features, and I'm actually encouraged.  Looks like VC is going to fix a lot of the stuff that made the last game so disjointed.

It seems like a lot of the annual promise of improvement in all aspects of gameplay without really getting that specific.  They say "better hitting," but without more details about what's different this year from last year, I'm still pretty skeptical.  If they actually can improve, then I'm pretty hopeful.  I'd say my biggest complaints were the low hit type variation and the overall framerate/visual quality.  Generally, it's really hard to tell how a sports game is actually better or worse until you play it.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 07:55:40 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on January 10, 2009, 05:08:27 PM

It seems like a lot of the annual promise of improvement in all aspects of gameplay without really getting that specific.  They say "better hitting," but without more details about what's different this year from last year, I'm still pretty skeptical.  If they actually can improve, then I'm pretty hopeful.  I'd say my biggest complaints were the low hit type variation and the overall framerate/visual quality.  Generally, it's really hard to tell how a sports game is actually better or worse until you play it.

I couldn't open the link.  Were there any screens?  I think my complaints with the past two games are on the record:  I hate the stadiums.  I'm okay with the core gameplay, but the visuals in the environments need a giant upgrade.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 08:59:23 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on January 12, 2009, 07:55:40 AM

I couldn't open the link.  Were there any screens?  I think my complaints with the past two games are on the record:  I hate the stadiums.  I'm okay with the core gameplay, but the visuals in the environments need a giant upgrade.

No screens.

If I had to guess, VC is focusing on making the gameplay a lot smoother (like NBA 2K9) and not focusing on much else. Zone hitting is back. Pitching is going to be simpler I guess.

I have no idea why someone doesn't just steal the High Heat engine and upgrade the graphics. Best game ever.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:10:42 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on January 12, 2009, 08:59:23 AM

No screens.

If I had to guess, VC is focusing on making the gameplay a lot smoother (like NBA 2K9) and not focusing on much else. Zone hitting is back. Pitching is going to be simpler I guess.

I have no idea why someone doesn't just steal the High Heat engine and upgrade the graphics. Best game ever.

I've never played High Heat.  Zone hitting will be great.  I thought the pitching was okay and the throw meter was pretty good.  They should really focus on upgrading the stadiums, commentators and environments.

I hated when the weather would be completely sunny with no clouds in the sky and it'd be raining.  That's just stupid.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 09:36:37 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on January 12, 2009, 09:10:42 AM

No screens.

I've never played High Heat.  Zone hitting will be great.  I thought the pitching was okay and the throw meter was pretty good.  They should really focus on upgrading the stadiums, commentators and environments.

I hated when the weather would be completely sunny with no clouds in the sky and it'd be raining.  That's just stupid.

Oh, yes. You reminded me of one of my biggest complaints of that game. Rainouts with no makeup... Just play it over. That had to be the dumbest idea they ever had. I would always check the weather before starting a game and then if it was overcast, I would change it to sunny to hopefully avoid that. I don't have a problem with rainouts but have a way to reschedule it or pick it up where it left off (in accordance to MLB rules). The whole just starting over was awful, awful. Having a doubleheader thrown into the season after rain would make things a little harder and more interesting.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on January 12, 2009, 09:36:37 AM

No screens.

Oh, yes. You reminded me of one of my biggest complaints of that game. Rainouts with no makeup... Just play it over. That had to be the dumbest idea they ever had. I would always check the weather before starting a game and then if it was overcast, I would change it to sunny to hopefully avoid that. I don't have a problem with rainouts but have a way to reschedule it or pick it up where it left off (in accordance to MLB rules). The whole just starting over was awful, awful. Having a doubleheader thrown into the season after rain would make things a little harder and more interesting.

One of the things they did 100%, right on the nose correctly was saving at any point in the game and picking back up from that point whenever you wanted.  That is something that I wish EA would do with Madden and NCAA.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 09:40:48 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on January 12, 2009, 09:39:39 AM

No screens.

One of the things they did 100%, right on the nose correctly was saving at any point in the game and picking back up from that point whenever you wanted.  That is something that I wish EA would do with Madden and NCAA.

They had that with the old-gen games.  Somehow, the increase in technology has made that impossible to replicate.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 09:57:46 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on January 12, 2009, 09:40:48 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on January 12, 2009, 09:39:39 AM

No screens.

They had that with the old-gen games.  Somehow, the increase in technology has made that impossible to replicate.

Bullshit.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 10:15:49 AM »
No screens.

I don't understand why there's not more theivery, either.  I'd take the pitching mechanic and fielding from 2K8, the hitting mechanic and baserunning from MVP NCAA 2006, the graphics from 2K7, the stadiums from the All-Star Baseball series, and pretty much everything else from High Heat, and it would be the perfect video game.

I have never had more realistic statistics in a video game than the ones High Heat produced.  That game was fantastic.
Hire Jim Essian!

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on January 12, 2009, 10:15:49 AM
No screens.

I don't understand why there's not more theivery, either.  I'd take the pitching mechanic and fielding from 2K8, the hitting mechanic and baserunning from MVP NCAA 2006, the graphics from 2K7, the stadiums from the All-Star Baseball series, and pretty much everything else from High Heat, and it would be the perfect video game.

I have never had more realistic statistics in a video game than the ones High Heat produced.  That game was fantastic.

It really was. It had the shittiest graphics and player models and it just didn't matter because it felt like you were playing baseball which is all that mattered. It was so simple and yet no one has been able to come close except MVP.

I think the big issue is that these developers are trying to do something new and get the glory for being creative rather than just make the best baseball game they can.

Even if someone would create this perfect baseball game with templates set up for editing and file sharing (to get logos, rosters, uniforms and such) that would be great. I would enjoy a game that had all phony teams and players if it played great baseball.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 10:24:54 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on January 12, 2009, 10:22:47 AM
No screens.

It really was. It had the shittiest graphics and player models and it just didn't matter because it felt like you were playing baseball which is all that mattered. It was so simple and yet no one has been able to come close except MVP.

I think the big issue is that these developers are trying to do something new and get the glory for being creative rather than just make the best baseball game they can.

Even if someone would create this perfect baseball game with templates set up for editing and file sharing (to get logos, rosters, uniforms and such) that would be great. I would enjoy a game that had all phony teams and players if it played great baseball.

All Star Baseball had a Create-a-Team thing similar to Madden's and you could have a fantasy draft and start a season/franchise.  That would be the tits, too.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 10:26:05 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on January 12, 2009, 10:22:47 AM
No screens.

The problem is more that they just don't have the development time to make the changes necessary.  I'm sure when they made MLB 2k6, which was the biggest overhaul of the games, they realized there were a lot of problems, but because there's only a year of development (not even, with bug testing and everything) in between titles, there's only so much they can do.  Either someone has to make a brand new baseball game, or one of 2k's developers needs to be creating a new version of MLB 2k that isn't working off the same engine as the previous games.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 10:38:51 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on January 12, 2009, 10:26:05 AM
The problem is more that they just don't have the development time to make the changes necessary.  I'm sure when they made MLB 2k6, which was the biggest overhaul of the games, they realized there were a lot of problems, but because there's only a year of development (not even, with bug testing and everything) in between titles, there's only so much they can do.  Either someone has to make a brand new baseball game, or one of 2k's developers needs to be creating a new version of MLB 2k that isn't working off the same engine as the previous games.

That's why I think sports games should follow this schedule:

Year 1:  Game
Year 2:  Roster update
Year 3:  Game
Year 4:  Roster update

And so on.  It'll never happen, because they know yearly installments will continue to sell.  But, hell, I'd be more willing to pay $70 for a game and $30 for a good roster update than $60 each year for a game that's really no different or better than the previous year's installment.

Or, sports developers should take a hint from the Call of Duty series and alternate development teams each year so every installment is developed for two full years.
Hire Jim Essian!

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 10:41:40 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on January 12, 2009, 10:38:51 AM
Quote from: Weebs on January 12, 2009, 10:26:05 AM

That's why I think sports games should follow this schedule:

Year 1:  Game
Year 2:  Roster update
Year 3:  Game
Year 4:  Roster update

And so on.  It'll never happen, because they know yearly installments will continue to sell.  But, hell, I'd be more willing to pay $70 for a game and $30 for a good roster update than $60 each year for a game that's really no different or better than the previous year's installment.

Or, sports developers should take a hint from the Call of Duty series and alternate development teams each year so every installment is developed for two full years.

Now most sports games are having weekly roster updates though. So that would take a 30 dollar roster pack out of the equation. Though if you meant uniform/stadium update or somesuch shit, that would be fine too.