News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Burgers  ( 99,161 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Burgers
« Reply #315 on: April 08, 2011, 08:42:22 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 08, 2011, 02:00:38 AM
Quote from: CBStew on April 07, 2011, 06:09:02 PM
Quote from: PenPho on April 07, 2011, 05:27:10 PM
Quote from: CBStew on April 07, 2011, 05:00:32 PM
Tonk's mention that Patty's is walking distance from where he is going to stay reminded me of a question that occured to me a long time ago.  Why didn't they name the streets in the order in which the presidents served?  It would have made it much easier for (some) visitors to get around.  Not to mention helping locals in American history class.  Instead we have Polk, Harrison Van Buren, Jackson, Adams (which one?) Monroe, Madison and Washington, in that order.

They are in order, just start with Washington and go the other way.

Washington (1)
Madison (4)
Monroe (5)
Adams (6) - this is Quincy Adams.
Jackson (7)
Van Buren (8)
Harrison (9)
Polk (11)

I don't know why Adams, Jefferson and Tyler aren't included, but the rest are in order.

Edit: I don't think this is actually true, meaning that Adams is actually named after the 2nd president, but it doesn't work with the rest of the order, so I'm changing it to Quincy Adams.

Thank you, but now I am going to wonder why they excluded Adams 1, Jefferson and Tyler.

And where, for the love of God, is Jimmy Carter street?

Jimmy Carter? He's history's greatest monster!
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #316 on: April 08, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »
Tyler seems to be the biggest ommision, as at least there's a consistent, chronological run from Madison through Van Buren, and picks up, after Congress, with Polk, who followed Tyler, presidentially speaking.  The street Quincy also is an itty-bitty "half-street" which rests between Adams and Jackson (though it's a minor street it does have its own El stop), further proof that the "Adams" in question is John II.

Edit:  Someone's done some 'splainin' about Tyler Street.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #317 on: April 08, 2011, 10:42:43 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 08, 2011, 10:31:29 AM
Tyler seems to be the biggest ommision, as at least there's a consistent, chronological run from Madison through Van Buren, and picks up, after Congress, with Polk, who followed Tyler, presidentially speaking.  The street Quincy also is an itty-bitty "half-street" which rests between Adams and Jackson (though it's a minor street it does have its own El stop), further proof that the "Adams" in question is John II.

All this presidential talk has got me hungry. *inserts Obmadong*
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #318 on: April 08, 2011, 10:50:04 AM »

Sounds like you and this Steve Goddard ought to get a room.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #319 on: April 08, 2011, 12:01:40 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 08, 2011, 10:50:04 AM

Yeah - and when you get in there you should fuck.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #320 on: April 08, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 08, 2011, 12:01:40 PM

O.K. Goddard, if you are so smart, tell us what happened to Jefferson and Adams I.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #321 on: April 08, 2011, 12:45:29 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 08, 2011, 12:08:55 PM

O.K. Goddard, if you are so smart, tell us what happened to Jefferson and Adams I.

http://chicagology.com/chicago-geography/streetnames/

QuoteThe first survey of Chicago was made in 1830 by James Thompson, and embraced an area of about three-eighths of a square mile. Besides the garrison at Fort Dearborn, the population did not exceed 100. Three of the boundary streets of the village were named after the most prominent men of the day, the survey showing that Washington street was the south boundary, Jefferson street the west, Kinzie street the north, and Dearborn street the east. Dearborn street was named after the fort, which in turn was named after General Henry Dearborn, Secretary of War, Kinzie street took its name from John Kinzie, the early white settler, while the others were named after George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.

As the town grew the political fights of the villagers were reflected in the naming of new streets. In those days politics were far more passionate than now. When the first street south of Washington was laid out, federalists wanted to name it Adams, after the second president, while the opposition wanted to name it Madison, Madison carried the day. Later a similar fight occurred over naming the street south of Madison. The federalists were beaten in their attempt to name it after President Adams and the street was christened after President Monroe. When the next street was laid out, however, the federalists managed to win, and it was called Adams street. The anti-fedralists, however, were unable to indorse with gusto the election of John Quincy Adams, and accordingly they bestowed his name upon the narrow little street abutting the post office. Jackson, Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Polk and Taylor had streets named after them, but Filmore was ignored, and after Tyler left the Whig party his name was taken from the street, which was rechristened Congress street.

Related: http://www.chsmedia.org/househistory/nameChanges/start.pdf
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #322 on: April 08, 2011, 12:48:19 PM »
BURGERS.  SPORTS
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #323 on: April 08, 2011, 12:50:38 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 08, 2011, 12:45:29 PM

QuoteThe first survey of Chicago was made in 1830 by James Thompson, and embraced an area of about three-eighths of a square mile. Besides the garrison at Fort Dearborn, the population did not exceed 100. Three of the boundary streets of the village were named after the most prominent men of the day, the survey showing that Washington street was the south boundary, Jefferson street the west, Kinzie street the north, and Dearborn street the east. Dearborn street was named after the fort, which in turn was named after General Henry Dearborn, Secretary of War, Kinzie street took its name from John Kinzie, the early white settler, while the others were named after George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.

As the town grew the political fights of the villagers were reflected in the naming of new streets. In those days politics were far more passionate than now. When the first street south of Washington was laid out, federalists wanted to name it Adams, after the second president, while the opposition wanted to name it Madison, Madison carried the day. Later a similar fight occurred over naming the street south of Madison. The federalists were beaten in their attempt to name it after President Adams and the street was christened after President Monroe. When the next street was laid out, however, the federalists managed to win, and it was called Adams street. The anti-fedralists, however, were unable to indorse with gusto the election of John Quincy Adams, and accordingly they bestowed his name upon the narrow little street abutting the post office. Jackson, Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Polk and Taylor had streets named after them, but Filmore was ignored, and after Tyler left the Whig party his name was taken from the street, which was rechristened Congress street.

Man, Chicago was one anti-Federalist town, amirite?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #324 on: April 08, 2011, 01:28:52 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 08, 2011, 12:50:38 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 08, 2011, 12:45:29 PM

Man, Chicago was one anti-Federalist town, amirite?

Well, the banking industry is a den of vipers and thieves.

Just ask Morph.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #325 on: April 08, 2011, 01:39:01 PM »
Thompson's 1830 survey:

Hey, look... Block 37!

Higher res.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #326 on: April 08, 2011, 01:45:42 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 08, 2011, 01:39:01 PM
Thompson's 1830 survey:

Hey, look... Block 37!

Higher res.

Poor Carroll. He coulda been somebody.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #327 on: April 08, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »
QuoteKinzie street took its name from John Kinzie, the early white settler

Is that qualifier really necessary?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #328 on: April 08, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 08, 2011, 01:47:45 PM
QuoteKinzie street took its name from John Kinzie, the early white settler

Is that qualifier really necessary?

Well the early settlers were Native American. And Kinzie, as you can tell, is obviously just the sort of name Native Americans had. 57% of them come from the Kinzie bloodline.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #329 on: April 08, 2011, 01:56:05 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 08, 2011, 01:45:42 PM
Poor Carroll. He coulda been somebody.

I blame the Kennedys. And, by association, Huey.