News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Your mind is literally blown  ( 29,420 )

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Your mind is literally blown
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
We all recoil when someone uses the word "literally" when they mean "figuratively"... But what if they were just using "literally" figuratively... LITERALLY?

Don't look at me like that.

I've got a linguist on my side...

http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~nunberg/CLliterally.pdf

QuoteTo judge from the number of letters and emails that I receive as chair of the American Heritage Dictionary's usage panel, no profession takes such a proprietary interest in English usage as lawyers do (software engineers come in a distant second). And the dereliction that most often annoys my legal correspondents is the use of literally to intensify the force of an idiom, as in "She literally bit my head off" or "I'm literally starving."

Lawyers aren't alone in this, of course; critics have been condemning the usage for a long time. In 1909, Ambrose Bierce commented, "It is bad enough to exaggerate, but to affirm the truth of the exaggeration is intolerable." And two decades later, H. W. Fowler excoriated the hyperbolic use of literally with a rare show of indignation: "We have come to such a pass with this word that where the truth would require us to acknowledge our exaggeration with, 'not literally, of course, but in a manner of speaking,' we do not hesitate to insert the very word that we ought to be at pains to repudiate; such false coin makes honest traffic in words impossible."

False coin it may be, but the counterfeiters are in good company. Dickens used literally loosely, and so did Thackeray (who wrote in 1847, "I literally blazed with wit"). And you can find the construction in the works of James Joyce, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Vladimir Nabokov. With such illustrious precedents to draw on, who can blame the football announcer who says "They literally hammered the quarterback into the ground"?

In the end, this is an eternal story of original sin and redemption. It's natural enough for us to use literally in a loose way to "affirm the truth of an exaggeration," as Bierce put it. If "I'm starving" is hyperbole, then "I'm literally starving" is simply more so. And when you think about it, the critics' objection to that use of literally is rather odd — it amounts to saying that literally is the only word in the language that can never be used in a figurative way. Even so, most of us come around once we become aware of the ridicule that we can come in for when we use literally loosely — "You don't mean you were literally floating on air?"

That's the moment when most of us get our first inkling of what literal is really supposed to mean. It can be a difficult notion to get a handle on — as linguists have been at pains to point out, our speech is shot through with dead metaphors, and the great body of them are so run-of-the-mill that we don't pay them any mind. (I count seven in the previous two sentences alone — eight if you include literal itself, which doesn't really have anything to do with letters.) Metaphor is so basic to our thought that it's impossible to tell where literality leaves off, nor is there usually any practical reason for trying to do so.

If anything, can we at least all agree that pissing off lawyers is good sport?
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Your mind is literally blown
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 10:27:01 AM »
I take full responsibility for this thread's existence.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:44:28 AM »
"Dude, it was so funny I literally shit my pants!"

"Well, what did you do?"

"What do you mean, dude? I was laughing..."

"I mean, what did you do with your shitty pants?"

"No, dude, I didn't REALLY shit my pants, I LITERALLY shit my pants!"

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 11:28:20 AM »

WWPD?
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:42:12 AM »
QuoteTo judge from the number of letters and emails that I receive as chair of the American Heritage Dictionary's usage panel, no profession takes such a proprietary interest in English usage as lawyers do

That's a pretty odd assertion.  I had always assumed that a standard part of the legal curriculum was some sort of practicum dedicated to faulty parallelism, thorougoing misuse of relative pronouns, and whimsical punctuation, based on seven years' proofreading at SASM et Flom.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:48:26 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on February 23, 2009, 11:42:12 AM
QuoteTo judge from the number of letters and emails that I receive as chair of the American Heritage Dictionary's usage panel, no profession takes such a proprietary interest in English usage as lawyers do

That's a pretty odd assertion.  I had always assumed that a standard part of the legal curriculum was some sort of practicum dedicated to faulty parallelism, thorougoing misuse of relative pronouns, and whimsical punctuation, based on seven years' proofreading at SASM et Flom.

As usual, I have no idea what your post says.
However, I'm pretty sure you said you spent 7 years proofreading and then used the word "thorougoing"

But I'm not sure, your post could be about Mexican food for all I know.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 11:52:46 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 23, 2009, 11:48:26 AM

However, I'm pretty sure you said you spent 7 years proofreading and then used the word "thorougoing"

So I did.  I blame burnout.  Either that, or all the cat hair in this keyboard.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:55:41 AM »

He spent 7 years proofreading. As in, those days are gone. Besides he makes up half the words in his posts so how would anyone know? Thorouging might be a word on Planet Wheezer.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 11:59:12 AM »
Quote from: Slakee on February 23, 2009, 11:55:41 AM

He spent 7 years proofreading. As in, those days are gone. Besides he makes up half the words in his posts so how would anyone know? Thorouging might be a word on Planet Wheezer.

I believe "Thorouging" is the rawness associated with frequent visits to Redtube.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 12:00:58 PM »
Quote from: Jon on February 23, 2009, 11:59:12 AM

I believe "Thorouging" is the rawness associated with frequent visits to Redtube.

THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 12:27:09 PM »
Que Nao Bustamante?

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 12:38:27 PM »
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 12:47:51 PM »

I wouldn't mind visiting that planet.  Is there atmosphere?  Plant-life?

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 01:05:04 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 23, 2009, 12:47:51 PM

Fungi, mostly.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 01:07:15 PM »
Quote from: Tank on February 23, 2009, 01:05:04 PM
Quote from: Oleg on February 23, 2009, 12:47:51 PM

Fungi, mostly.

Jesus, why don't you just buy him a plane ticket?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.