News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: BioShock 2  ( 6,740 )

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: BioShock 2
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 10:16:16 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on February 11, 2010, 09:27:10 AM
Quote from: Weebs on February 10, 2010, 09:17:30 PM
Quote from: Poon on February 10, 2010, 05:28:57 PM
I got it for PC and just like the first, I just don't care for it.  Feels too damn consoley.  Meh.

I haven't played this, but my feelings with the first game were that the story/setting/atmosphere were absolutely incredible, but the gameplay is pretty shitty.  I figure that hasn't changed much.

Except for the fact that all the reviews are saying it changed quite a bit.

Happy birthday, dumbass.

They said some of the mechanics have changed, like how you get upgrades, hack security terminals, etc.  The problem with the first game is that it had the feel and pacing of a survival horror game, but everything just moved way too fast with combat.  Because of those tube things that let you die and pick up right where you left off, a lot of fights just became battles of attrition.  What I've read about the sequel is that the combat is even more fast-paced now.  I just think the setting of that game lends itself much better to a more strategic kind of shooter, or at least something significantly slower.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 10:58:42 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on February 11, 2010, 09:26:30 AM
Quote from: Ivy6 on February 10, 2010, 04:08:30 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on February 10, 2010, 02:35:30 PM
Bumpity.  Someone get this and tell us all about it, please.

I picked it up at lunch today.  It comes in a green box with a big daddy and little sister on that box and has "BIOSHOCK 2" on the front.  I was kind of embarrassed to hand it to the cashier since I think i'm too old to play video games, but then a guy got in line right behind me with the same game.  I felt better.  I brought it out to my car and felt pretty fine about the experience.

Where?  Best Buy?  Gamestop?  Target?  I need more details.

Well, I tried Gamestop first.  Seeing as how I hadn't been in one in a couple years, I didn't know they don't keep new releases on the shelf (at least this one didn't.)  That meant I would have to stand in line behind two people and verbalize my request.  I decided I wasn't up to it.  I went across the street to Best Buy and ended up completing the purchase.  The game was tough to find, since it wasn't on the racks but on a special display.  I was worried I would go home empty handed for a while there!

In case you're wondering about the gameplay- I don't know.  I haven't played yet.  I did unwrap it though.  That was largely uniteresting however.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 12:42:30 PM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on February 11, 2010, 10:58:42 AM

I picked it up at lunch today.  It comes in a green box with a big daddy and little sister on that box and has "BIOSHOCK 2" on the front.  I was kind of embarrassed to hand it to the cashier since I think i'm too old to play video games, but then a guy got in line right behind me with the same game.  I felt better.  I brought it out to my car and felt pretty fine about the experience.

Well, I tried Gamestop first.  Seeing as how I hadn't been in one in a couple years, I didn't know they don't keep new releases on the shelf (at least this one didn't.)  That meant I would have to stand in line behind two people and verbalize my request.  I decided I wasn't up to it.  I went across the street to Best Buy and ended up completing the purchase.  The game was tough to find, since it wasn't on the racks but on a special display.  I was worried I would go home empty handed for a while there!

In case you're wondering about the gameplay- I don't know.  I haven't played yet.  I did unwrap it though.  That was largely uniteresting however.

I unwrap mine in the car, to make it a little more interesting.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 01:13:02 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 11, 2010, 12:42:30 PM

How does it make the car more interesting?

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 04:23:16 PM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on February 11, 2010, 01:13:02 PM
Quote from: Yeti on February 11, 2010, 12:42:30 PM

How does it make the car more interesting?

I don't think it's the game he's unwrapping

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 06:17:37 AM »
After careful deliberation between options (Mass Effect 2 and BioShock 2), I elected to go with BioShock 2. I think my experience was better than Ivy6's. I went in there with a mission. As I was walking in, I saw a friend of mine and his wife walking in as well. She was hot, so that was cool. I beelined right for the Games section. There were only 3-4 copies left. They had the awesome Limited Edition which was the size of 2nd base. $99? No thanks. I got up front and after scoping out the lines, I elected to go where the cutest check out girl was. I gave her my phone number which is getting me money for the future. I win. She liked me so much, she offered up a free BioShock 2 poster. I thought about it and decided it would be nice to have so I said "Yes". She wrapped it up and handed it to me, along with my game and receipt. As I was walking out, I ran into a manager there who I am Xbox friends with. We discussed games. I left. I unwrapped it in the car. Put it on the shelf right between BioShock and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. It was fabulous.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 06:31:48 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 15, 2010, 06:17:37 AM
After careful deliberation between options (Mass Effect 2 and BioShock 2), I elected to go with BioShock 2. I think my experience was better than Ivy6's. I went in there with a mission. As I was walking in, I saw a friend of mine and his wife walking in as well. She was hot, so that was cool. I beelined right for the Games section. There were only 3-4 copies left. They had the awesome Limited Edition which was the size of 2nd base. $99? No thanks. I got up front and after scoping out the lines, I elected to go where the cutest check out girl was. I gave her my phone number which is getting me money for the future. I win. She liked me so much, she offered up a free BioShock 2 poster. I thought about it and decided it would be nice to have so I said "Yes". She wrapped it up and handed it to me, along with my game and receipt. As I was walking out, I ran into a manager there who I am Xbox friends with. We discussed games. I left. I unwrapped it in the car. Put it on the shelf right between BioShock and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. It was fabulous.

So you ordered Mass Effect 2 online?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 06:33:43 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 15, 2010, 06:31:48 AM
Quote from: Yeti on February 15, 2010, 06:17:37 AM

So you ordered Mass Effect 2 online?

To avoid that pesky sales tax, I might

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 09:04:14 AM »
If anyone still wants an actual review- here's my casual review after about 2 hours of play.

-It's the same damn game as the first one.  Get to where you need to go and, OH NO THAT GUY PUSHED DOWN A BOOKCASE AND ITS IN YOUR WAY.  Better go find the research camera to research how to move it.  UH OH YOU CAN'T GET TO THE CAMERA THE DOORS LOCKED.  Better go find the code.  Do this 3-4 times per level, as is the norm.

-The weapons have changed slightly and are nice, but the big combat improvement is that you have both hands out at once, so you don't have to switch between plasmids and guns as labouriously.  You get to use the drill though, which is no good unless you're point blank.

-The actual fighting is pretty unchanged to me.  It's still easy to get blindsided since you're in a wide open environment.    It does seem easier to aim, and they have an auto aim feature that I don't remember from the first one. 

-The story is fine so far.   Might be a big twist that I don't see coming though.  Can't be sure.

That's pretty negative, I guess- but it's a very good game.  It's just pretty much the exact game as the first one, but you get a different character and slightly different weapons.  If you loved the first one, you'll like this one.  If you liked the first one, play mass effect or something else.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 09:48:29 AM »
For what it's worth, Ivy6, that "been there, done that" feeling is pretty much exactly what Tom Chick felt at first.  But then he says it gets much, much better.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 11:40:59 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on February 16, 2010, 09:48:29 AM
For what it's worth, Ivy6, that "been there, done that" feeling is pretty much exactly what Tom Chick felt at first.  But then he says it gets much, much better.

Yay.  Thanks.  Good stuff.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 11:48:57 AM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on February 16, 2010, 11:40:59 AM

Incidentally, I had no idea that Tom Chick played Oscar's old boyfriend on The Office.  FUN FACT.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 12:18:40 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on February 16, 2010, 11:48:57 AM
Quote from: Ivy6 on February 16, 2010, 11:40:59 AM

Incidentally, I had no idea that Tom Chick played Oscar's old boyfriend on The Office.  FUN FACT.

Furthermore, I had no idea who Tom Chick was until 9:50 this morning.