News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Score some fucking runs thread  ( 133,257 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Score some fucking runs thread
« Reply #495 on: April 17, 2014, 10:10:23 AM »
Quote from: motown on April 17, 2014, 10:07:08 AM
Castillo bunted on his own yesterday according to Renteria, so there's that.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/23122/cubs-go-down-quietly-in-new-york

QuoteCastillo bunting: Renteria indicated catcher Welington Castillo bunted on his own in the fifth inning of Game 2 on Wednesday night. With runners on first and second and none out, Castillo laid down a nice sacrifice, but it wasn't what his manager wanted.

"We wanted him to swing the bat," he said.

The Cubs' Nos. 8 and 9 hitters were due up, as Kalish subsequently struck out and Barney flew out. Renteria has used the bunt often so far this season, so maybe Castillo thought it was the right move. It wasn't.

ITS A FUCKING DISEASE

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #496 on: April 17, 2014, 10:16:04 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 17, 2014, 10:10:23 AM

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/23122/cubs-go-down-quietly-in-new-york

QuoteCastillo bunting: Renteria indicated catcher Welington Castillo bunted on his own in the fifth inning of Game 2 on Wednesday night. With runners on first and second and none out, Castillo laid down a nice sacrifice, but it wasn't what his manager wanted.

The Cubs' Nos. 8 and 9 hitters were due up, as Kalish subsequently struck out and Barney flew out. Renteria has used the bunt often so far this season, so maybe Castillo thought it was the right move. It wasn't.

ITS A FUCKING DISEASE

Aaahh...but curable.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #497 on: April 17, 2014, 10:21:33 AM »

Gee, Rick, I wonder where he could have gotten the idea.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #498 on: April 17, 2014, 10:49:35 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 17, 2014, 10:21:33 AM

Why would Castillo sacrifice on his own? Isn't that the type of thing a manager always calls for? Are the players so stupid that they need a "don't bunt" sign?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #499 on: April 17, 2014, 11:22:47 AM »
Quote from: Tony on April 17, 2014, 10:49:35 AM

Why would Castillo sacrifice on his own? Isn't that the type of thing a manager always calls for? Are the players so stupid that they need a "don't bunt" sign?

Ricketts probably called for the bunt from the owner's box.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #500 on: April 17, 2014, 11:42:48 AM »
Maybe Theo doesn't care that much at this point. Even the craziest Renteria bunt habits aren't likely to cost the Cubs more than a win or two during the season, and there's no real difference between 65 and 67 wins. In fact, Theo probably prefers to win 65 games to 67.

Ergo, Theo hired Renteria BECAUSE of his bunting tendencies.

#falseflag

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #501 on: April 17, 2014, 12:02:47 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 17, 2014, 11:42:48 AM
Maybe Theo doesn't care that much at this point. Even the craziest Renteria bunt habits aren't likely to cost the Cubs more than a win or two during the season, and there's no real difference between 65 and 67 wins. In fact, Theo probably prefers to win 65 games to 67.

#falseflag

The Cubes had the second fewest situations where a hitter showed bunt last year. They're up to second most this year (three behind the Twins). I don't think it matters that much. But, there's really no reason for Rizzo to be bunting. That's indefensible.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #502 on: April 17, 2014, 12:07:46 PM »
*puts feet up*

This is where not giving a damn pays off in spades.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #503 on: April 17, 2014, 12:21:36 PM »

Whether Renteria called for it or not, Castillo's bunt made sense in that situation.  Behind by one run, runners on first and second with no outs.  It was legitimate.  Even the Cubs could score at least a run at that point.  Right?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #504 on: April 17, 2014, 12:29:45 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 17, 2014, 12:21:36 PM

Whether Renteria called for it or not, Castillo's bunt made sense in that situation.  Behind by one run, runners on first and second with no outs.  It was legitimate.  Even the Cubs could score at least a run at that point.  Right?

No. Not with Kalish and Barney coming up.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #505 on: April 17, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »
Quote from: Bort on April 17, 2014, 12:07:46 PM
*puts feet up*

You're reading this thread, ain't ya?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #506 on: April 17, 2014, 12:34:15 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 17, 2014, 12:21:36 PM

Whether Renteria called for it or not, Castillo's bunt made sense in that situation.  Behind by one run, runners on first and second with no outs.  It was legitimate.  Even the Cubs could score at least a run at that point.  Right?

Well, not this team it seems, but unless I'm reading this wrong, (and I wasn't watching so I don't know the situation, who was on deck, etc) a successful bunt increases the likelihood of a run by 5%

Though it does decrease the expected runs scored in that inning by 0.12:

Baseball Prospectus doesn't have a (quick) way of posting it in here, but change in RE for each situation holds true in 2013 as it does in that data from 1993-2010

EDIT to not be lazy
#   LVL   YEAR   RUNNERS   RE-0 Outs   RE-1 Out   RE-2 Outs
1.   MLB   2013   000         0.4672         0.2489       0.0918
2.   MLB   2013   003         1.2833         0.8939       0.3527
3.   MLB   2013   020         1.0499         0.637       0.3054
4.   MLB   2013   023         1.866         1.282       0.5663
5.   MLB   2013   100         0.8262         0.4934       0.2064
6.   MLB   2013   103        1.6423         1.1384       0.4673
7.   MLB   2013   120        1.4089         0.8815       0.42
8.   MLB   2013   123         2.225         1.5265       0.6809

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #507 on: April 17, 2014, 01:26:30 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 17, 2014, 12:31:26 PM
Quote from: Bort on April 17, 2014, 12:07:46 PM
*puts feet up*

You're reading this thread, ain't ya?

It's mostly schadenfreude at this point.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #508 on: April 17, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on April 17, 2014, 12:02:47 PM

#falseflag

The Cubes had the second fewest situations where a hitter showed bunt last year. They're up to second most this year (three behind the Twins). I don't think it matters that much. But, there's really no reason for Rizzo to be bunting. That's indefensible.

Didn't he cause them to stop shifting so much though? I know you don't want to take the extra base potential away from your biggest hitter, but if you take the single every so often and they stop shifting doesn't that help in the long run? I guess they probably have math stuff to figure this out.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #509 on: April 17, 2014, 02:57:07 PM »
Quote from: Tony on April 17, 2014, 02:16:58 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on April 17, 2014, 12:02:47 PM

#falseflag

Didn't he cause them to stop shifting so much though? I know you don't want to take the extra base potential away from your biggest hitter, but if you take the single every so often and they stop shifting doesn't that help in the long run? I guess they probably have math stuff to figure this out.

It was the 7th inning of a 3-run game, with the current pitcher on his last inning. At that point, I think trying to SCORE SOME FUCKING RUNS is more important than looking at trying to end the shift for (at most) 1 more AB.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.