News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Score some fucking runs thread  ( 133,266 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Score some fucking runs thread
« Reply #510 on: April 17, 2014, 03:07:49 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 17, 2014, 02:57:07 PM
Quote from: Tony on April 17, 2014, 02:16:58 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on April 17, 2014, 12:02:47 PM
Quote from: Eli on April 17, 2014, 11:42:48 AM
Maybe Theo doesn't care that much at this point. Even the craziest Renteria bunt habits aren't likely to cost the Cubs more than a win or two during the season, and there's no real difference between 65 and 67 wins. In fact, Theo probably prefers to win 65 games to 67.

Ergo, Theo hired Renteria BECAUSE of his bunting tendencies.

#falseflag

The Cubes had the second fewest situations where a hitter showed bunt last year. They're up to second most this year (three behind the Twins). I don't think it matters that much. But, there's really no reason for Rizzo to be bunting. That's indefensible.

Didn't he cause them to stop shifting so much though? I know you don't want to take the extra base potential away from your biggest hitter, but if you take the single every so often and they stop shifting doesn't that help in the long run? I guess they probably have math stuff to figure this out.

It was the 7th inning of a 3-run game, with the current pitcher on his last inning. At that point, I think trying to SCORE SOME FUCKING RUNS is more important than looking at trying to end the shift for (at most) 1 more AB.

Exactly. And the shift isn't going anywhere unless Rizzo starts successfully bunting for singles in the vast majority of his plate appearances.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #511 on: April 17, 2014, 03:20:33 PM »
Frankly, I think it is silly to do any kind of analysis of a Cub game.  All analysis can be boiled down to four words.  They are the Cubs.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #512 on: April 17, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 17, 2014, 03:07:49 PM
Maybe Theo doesn't care that much at this point. Even the craziest Renteria bunt habits aren't likely to cost the Cubs more than a win or two during the season, and there's no real difference between 65 and 67 wins. In fact, Theo probably prefers to win 65 games to 67.

#falseflag

The Cubes had the second fewest situations where a hitter showed bunt last year. They're up to second most this year (three behind the Twins). I don't think it matters that much. But, there's really no reason for Rizzo to be bunting. That's indefensible.

Didn't he cause them to stop shifting so much though? I know you don't want to take the extra base potential away from your biggest hitter, but if you take the single every so often and they stop shifting doesn't that help in the long run? I guess they probably have math stuff to figure this out.

It was the 7th inning of a 3-run game, with the current pitcher on his last inning. At that point, I think trying to SCORE SOME FUCKING RUNS is more important than looking at trying to end the shift for (at most) 1 more AB.

Exactly. And the shift isn't going anywhere unless Rizzo starts successfully bunting for singles in the vast majority of his plate appearances.

I think these belong on BCB.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #513 on: April 17, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 17, 2014, 03:49:02 PM

#falseflag

I think these belong on BCB.

They are the Cubs.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #514 on: April 17, 2014, 04:01:27 PM »

#falseflag

Ohhhhh.... I didn't see it and didn't know the context. I just heard Len say something about how Jeter was playing over at third in his ABs after it happened.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #515 on: April 17, 2014, 04:31:24 PM »
Go Cubes.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #516 on: April 21, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #517 on: April 21, 2014, 10:10:02 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 21, 2014, 10:06:50 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 17, 2014, 04:31:24 PM
Go Cubes.

And score some fucking runs.

You say it like it wouldn't harm their draft position which is the surest way to put players into the pipeline who would make the fucking run scoring sustainable.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #518 on: April 21, 2014, 10:18:02 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 21, 2014, 10:10:02 AM
Go Cubes.

You say it like it wouldn't harm their draft position which is the surest way to put players into the pipeline who would make the fucking run scoring sustainable.

Score some fucking runs but lose every game 9-8?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #519 on: April 21, 2014, 10:30:08 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 21, 2014, 10:18:02 AM
Go Cubes.

Solid idea.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #520 on: April 21, 2014, 10:57:58 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 21, 2014, 10:18:02 AM
Go Cubes.

Not until after Jepstink gets prospects for Snork, Hammel and Rondon.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #521 on: April 21, 2014, 12:27:18 PM »
This weekend I watched my 6 year old grandson's T-ball team.  Every ball hit off the T went towards the second baseman, through his legs to the right fielder, who was playing on the edge of the outfield grass.  When the right fielder, with the assistance of the centerfielder, managed to pick up the ball, which by that time was lying still, he automatically threw it toward the pitcher, who eventually picked it up off the dirt.  That was ok since the runners never attempted to take an extra base.  Put outs were rare, sometimes accidental, and when the team at bat had batted around, the half inning would be declared over and the teams changed places.  The rules had been changed to accommodate the skills of the players.  You know where this post is going.  I think that the time has come to consider petitioning for a rule change for the Cubs.  Since they can't score runs even when they have two runners in scoring position with no outs (Really. There was as occasion this season when they had two runners on base at the same time with no outs) I propose a Cubs rule change that gives them at least one additional out per inning. 

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #522 on: April 05, 2015, 11:22:48 PM »
Bullpen looked great, defense looked like shit, and Jorge Soler looked like he never been in such cold conditions in his life.

Still, score some fucking runs.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #523 on: April 06, 2015, 12:13:30 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 05, 2015, 11:22:48 PM
Bullpen looked great, defense looked like shit, and Jorge Soler looked like he never been in such cold conditions in his life.

Still, score some fucking runs.

0 for 13 with RISP. Score some fucking runs.

(One of the first 0's of that 13 was when Anthony Rizzo walked against Adam Wainwright, but somehow the fourth ball was called a strike.)

Jorge did look a little chilly.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #524 on: April 08, 2015, 02:33:02 PM »
BUMP
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015