News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unlistenable  ( 250,607 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unlistenable
« Reply #1395 on: October 22, 2014, 04:42:29 PM »
Smug know-it-all Leo Laporte (who really lays the "hey hey hey, I'm a slick! radio! personality!" voice on thick) and the aptly-named TWiT show.  I had the misfortune of hearing this, in which professional troll John Dvorak accuses Nilay Patel of being a racist for, like, no reason.  As if that weren't bad enough, almost all their predictions for Apple's keynote were plain wrong, and there's an odd yearning in the air to make sure everything someone says is Important and Meaningful and Well-Reasoned and a Grand Pronouncement.  They're not talking about tech, they're talking about Life and Philosophy.  What utter pretension.

Almost forgot: At one point Laporte tries to mount a defense of Nadella for his stupid comments about women in the workplace.  Also gotta appreciate the cluelessness of four men discussing GamerGate and Nadella's comments without a single woman around.  All in all a pretty A+ effort by the whole gang. 
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1396 on: October 22, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 22, 2014, 04:42:29 PM
Smug know-it-all Leo Laporte (who really lays the "hey hey hey, I'm a slick! radio! personality!" voice on thick) and the aptly-named TWiT show.  I had the misfortune of hearing this, in which professional troll John Dvorak accuses Nilay Patel of being a racist for, like, no reason.  As if that weren't bad enough, almost all their predictions for Apple's keynote were plain wrong, and there's an odd yearning in the air to make sure everything someone says is Important and Meaningful and Well-Reasoned and a Grand Pronouncement.  They're not talking about tech, they're talking about Life and Philosophy.  What utter pretension.

Almost forgot: At one point Laporte tries to mount a defense of Nadella for his stupid comments about women in the workplace.  Also gotta appreciate the cluelessness of four men discussing GamerGate and Nadella's comments without a single woman around.  All in all a pretty A+ effort by the whole gang. 

Did you mean to post this on a different message board?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1397 on: October 22, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »
Could FOX have squeezed more "experts" into the booth for the World Series?  Wasn't enough to inflict Joe Buck on us?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1398 on: October 23, 2014, 03:10:14 PM »
Quote from: R-V on October 22, 2014, 05:00:13 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 22, 2014, 04:42:29 PM

Did you mean to post this on a different message board?

So you're saying I should've cross-posted to totally unreadable?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1399 on: October 26, 2014, 09:04:50 PM »
Does Harold Reynolds ever shut up?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1400 on: October 27, 2014, 09:18:54 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 26, 2014, 09:04:50 PM

Maybe, maybe not. But every single utterance he makes on these broacasts is an utterance not made by Tim McCarver. I'm totally fine with that for now. Reynolds is wrong a lot but so far I have not gotten annoyed to the point of turning off the game like I used to do with McCarver several times every Fall.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1401 on: October 29, 2014, 08:25:59 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 26, 2014, 09:04:50 PM

Harold Reynolds says that Guthrie is not a strikeout pitcher.  Guthrie immediately strikes out three out of the next four batters.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1402 on: November 20, 2014, 02:04:46 PM »
THE GAME 87.7 FM will be pulling the plug on 12/31.
The employees were informed while on air by a Robert Feder tweet.

Sounds about as considerate as where I work.

The station might have had a better chance if they weren't on a frequency that only dogs can hear.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1403 on: November 20, 2014, 02:14:57 PM »
Quote from: flannj on November 20, 2014, 02:04:46 PM

The station might have had a better chance if they weren't on a frequency that only dogs can hear.

I am so torn between laughing at Kap and Haugh and that one meatball Slak's always retweeting and my pity for some of the people I do like who work there like Adam Hoge.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1404 on: November 20, 2014, 02:58:43 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 20, 2014, 02:14:57 PM
Quote from: flannj on November 20, 2014, 02:04:46 PM

I am so torn between laughing at Kap and Haugh and that one meatball Slak's always retweeting and my pity for some of the people I do like who work there like Adam Hoge.

Hoo boy:

Quote from: @JulieDiCaroHuge thanks to @RobertFeder for breaking that news while we're on the air. Rather be first than worry about people's feelings.

Tough break for Julie, finding out how this business works at her very first job fresh out of college, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.  Yes, Robert Feder, how dare you report what you have when you should have done The Game management's job for them by calling every employee into your office (or since you don't have an office at the Game maybe a nearby Starbucks, a bus stop, your conversion van, whatever) and breaking the news gently?  What an ass.

If there's a silver lining to this story, it's that someone still supports CubbieJulie:

Quote from: @bleedcubbieblue@juliedicaro Sorry to hear about 87.7 The Game. Chicago needs new sports talk and you all did it well.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1405 on: November 21, 2014, 12:11:35 PM »
Deadspin dropping the video.

And a couple money quotes from station boss Jimmy de Castro in today's Trib.

De Castro said he understood Finfer's frustration.
"He got a little bit upset," de Castro said. "That's a tough way to find out."
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1406 on: November 21, 2014, 01:35:22 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 21, 2014, 12:11:35 PM

To be fair, if that's how I found out I was out of a job, my reaction would make these people look downright stoic.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1407 on: November 21, 2014, 01:44:26 PM »
Quote from: Fork on November 21, 2014, 01:35:22 PM

To be fair, if that's how I found out I was out of a job, my reaction would make these people look downright stoic.

Is anyone really surprised by this?  I was expecting a year at best when this launched and wondered what people jumping from the Score were thinking.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1408 on: November 21, 2014, 01:53:25 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 21, 2014, 01:44:26 PM

Is anyone really surprised by this?  I was expecting a year at best when this launched and wondered what people jumping from the Score were thinking.

That they were sick of waiting for Terry Boers to retire and that Patrick Mannelly jumped the queue?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1409 on: November 21, 2014, 02:01:35 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 21, 2014, 01:44:26 PM

Were you really so sure this was doomed to fail from the start?  I mean, yeah, it's easy to look back at it now, but it's not exactly like when dumbasses like Jesse Rogers jumped off the short bus for Webbio.  It was a WGN subsidiary.

I'm not saying I'm totally surprised (radio in general is not what it once was) but to be so smug as to suggest that this was a fait accompli from Day 1  strikes me as rather disingenuous.

Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs