News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unlistenable  ( 250,610 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unlistenable
« Reply #1410 on: November 21, 2014, 02:37:11 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 21, 2014, 02:01:35 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 21, 2014, 01:44:26 PM
Quote from: Fork on November 21, 2014, 01:35:22 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on November 21, 2014, 12:11:35 PM
Deadspin dropping the video.

And a couple money quotes from station boss Jimmy de Castro in today's Trib.

De Castro said he understood Finfer's frustration.
"He got a little bit upset," de Castro said. "That's a tough way to find out."

To be fair, if that's how I found out I was out of a job, my reaction would make these people look downright stoic.

Is anyone really surprised by this?  I was expecting a year at best when this launched and wondered what people jumping from the Score were thinking.

Were you really so sure this was doomed to fail from the start?  I mean, yeah, it's easy to look back at it now, but it's not exactly like when dumbasses like Jesse Rogers jumped off the short bus for Webbio.  It was a WGN subsidiary.

I'm not saying I'm totally surprised (radio in general is not what it once was) but to be so smug as to suggest that this was a fait accompli from Day 1  strikes me as rather disingenuous.

I just wish they'd hired Al instead of Julie because that moment of schadenfreude would live forever.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1411 on: November 21, 2014, 03:25:41 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 21, 2014, 02:37:11 PM

To be fair, if that's how I found out I was out of a job, my reaction would make these people look downright stoic.

Is anyone really surprised by this?  I was expecting a year at best when this launched and wondered what people jumping from the Score were thinking.

Were you really so sure this was doomed to fail from the start?  I mean, yeah, it's easy to look back at it now, but it's not exactly like when dumbasses like Jesse Rogers jumped off the short bus for Webbio.  It was a WGN subsidiary.

I'm not saying I'm totally surprised (radio in general is not what it once was) but to be so smug as to suggest that this was a fait accompli from Day 1  strikes me as rather disingenuous.

I just wish they'd hired Al instead of Julie because that moment of schadenfreude would live forever.

I don't know, Julie's butthurt is strong enough to fuel the fire for a while.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1412 on: November 21, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »

No, I really didn't think this would be successful, smug or not.  I'm pretty sure I laughed when I read the announcement.  A station with a frequency that no one can hear anchored by David Kaplan and David Haugh?  Supported by a roster of mostly unknowns?  I was especially surprised when Adam Hoge left and thought it was clearly a mistake (maybe they paid him a buttload, I don't know).  If I was a Score producer who was offered a chance to leave I absolutely would have stayed, knowing only what I knew at the time.  There was talk during the launch that WGN would later move THE GAME to a different frequency.  That type of deal might have had a chance, but that's a different question.

Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 21, 2014, 01:53:25 PM
That they were sick of waiting for Terry Boers to retire and that Patrick Mannelly jumped the queue?

And Chuck, if they had the foresight to know Patrick Mannelly would jump in front of them six months after they left the Score for the Game, they probably wouldn't have joined the Game in the first place. is wrong.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1413 on: November 21, 2014, 11:56:36 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 21, 2014, 05:04:58 PM

No, I really didn't think this would be successful, smug or not.  I'm pretty sure I laughed when I read the announcement.  A station with a frequency that no one can hear anchored by David Kaplan and David Haugh?  Supported by a roster of mostly unknowns?  I was especially surprised when Adam Hoge left and thought it was clearly a mistake (maybe they paid him a buttload, I don't know).  If I was a Score producer who was offered a chance to leave I absolutely would have stayed, knowing only what I knew at the time.  There was talk during the launch that WGN would later move THE GAME to a different frequency.  That type of deal might have had a chance, but that's a different question.

Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 21, 2014, 01:53:25 PM
That they were sick of waiting for Terry Boers to retire and that Patrick Mannelly jumped the queue?

And Chuck, if they had the foresight to know Patrick Mannelly would jump in front of them six months after they left the Score for the Game, they probably wouldn't have joined the Game in the first place. is wrong.

I didn't think The Game was doomed, but it definitely had the feel of a slapdash operation from the start. I mean WGN basically decided to make a sports radio station out of a bunch of stuff it had laying around: an FM frequency, Jonathan Brandmeier, Dave Kaplan and Garry Meier. Then they grabbed some guys off the Score, a couple of never-wasses (Teinowitz and Manton) a BIG NAME IN CHICAGO (Payton) a columnist from the Trib and then sat back and hoped that Dan McNeil would descend from Olympus and validate the whole operation.

Sometimes you make breakfast from stuff that's laying around and its great. And sometimes you end up with cloves, Tom Collins mix, and frozen pie crust.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1414 on: November 22, 2014, 08:13:28 AM »
Quote from: CT III on November 21, 2014, 11:56:36 PM
Sometimes you make breakfast from stuff that's laying around and its great. And sometimes you end up with cloves, Tom Collins mix, and frozen pie crust.

How dare you badmouth the Impotent Malaysian, my signature breakfast recipe.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1415 on: November 22, 2014, 08:31:16 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 22, 2014, 08:13:28 AM
Quote from: CT III on November 21, 2014, 11:56:36 PM

How dare you badmouth the Impotent Malaysian, my signature breakfast recipe.

Cheerfully withdrawn!

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1416 on: March 25, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »
Has anybody else seen this shit?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-cubs-song-vote-20150310-htmlstory.html

What in the entire flaming fuck?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1417 on: March 25, 2015, 01:42:06 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 25, 2015, 10:00:51 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-cubs-song-vote-20150310-htmlstory.html

The guys who called their song "Everybody Loves the Cubs" should be shot.  I give "Cubs Fans We're Chicago" (wtf) a C+.  It's the only song that didn't make me immediately want to kill myself and might actually be better with real instruments instead of cheap-sounding MIDI shit.  The rest all get Fs and those responsible should immediately be shipped to ISIS and/or St. Louis.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1418 on: March 25, 2015, 01:47:52 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 25, 2015, 01:42:06 PM

The guys who called their song "Everybody Loves the Cubs" should be shot.  I give "Cubs Fans We're Chicago" (wtf) a C+.  It's the only song that didn't make me immediately want to kill myself and might actually be better with real instruments instead of cheap-sounding MIDI shit.  The rest all get Fs and those responsible should immediately be shipped to ISIS and/or St. Louis.

Holy shit, I hated all this so much. 

Not your post, Sterling*, but the songs.

*This time.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1419 on: March 25, 2015, 01:55:59 PM »

Except for Sterling Archer, you guys don't have to listen to "When the Giants Come To Town, It's Bye-Bye Baby.  Every Time the Chips Are Down, It's Bye-Bye Baby.  Listen to the Giants on KSFO, Root For the Giants and Let Them Know, etc, etc."
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1420 on: March 25, 2015, 02:44:49 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 25, 2015, 01:47:52 PM

*This time.

I couldn't tell if this was one big jerkoff or if one of these songs would replace "Go Cubs Go." The Trib doesn't have any juice to make that happen anymore right? This is all just a fuckaround?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1421 on: March 25, 2015, 02:48:10 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 25, 2015, 02:44:49 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on March 25, 2015, 01:47:52 PM

*This time.

I couldn't tell if this was one big jerkoff or if one of these songs would replace "Go Cubs Go." The Trib doesn't have any juice to make that happen anymore right? This is all just a fuckaround?

It's a completely pointless fuckaround.

Although the Cubs did hire their PA announcer the same way, so get ready for Clark the Cub to announce the winner next week.  I say go with the guy with a messy office who decided hell with it, I'll just sing to my webcam and upload that.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1422 on: April 13, 2015, 12:50:12 PM »
Was in the car during the top of the 5th yesterday and Coomer was handling play by play duties. Jesus what a train wreck. "Analyst" Pat Hughes had to step in a couple of times to clarify Ron's vague-as-fuck descriptions. Is this going to be a thing all season, or did Grote have the squirts, thus throwing Pat off his normal 5th inning steamer routine?

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1423 on: April 13, 2015, 01:16:08 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 13, 2015, 12:50:12 PM
Was in the car during the top of the 5th yesterday and Coomer was handling play by play duties. Jesus what a train wreck. "Analyst" Pat Hughes had to step in a couple of times to clarify Ron's vague-as-fuck descriptions. Is this going to be a thing all season, or did Grote have the squirts, thus throwing Pat off his normal 5th inning steamer routine?

Holy hell I am glad I'm not the only one to notice this...on Friday afternoon is when I heard Ron doing the play-by-play and transitions to commercial.  Pat was left to comment about the weather.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1424 on: April 13, 2015, 01:20:34 PM »
Coomer's been borderline bad and the additional responsibilities of sporadic PBP duties will only make for a more disappointing broadcast.  Shame.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs