News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unlistenable  ( 250,653 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unlistenable
« Reply #1440 on: April 17, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »
I'm listening to Coomer call this big inning by the Cubs and he's FUCKING IT ALL UP.

JESUS CHRIST COOMER.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1441 on: April 17, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 17, 2015, 02:50:01 PM
I'm listening to Coomer call this big inning by the Cubs and he's FUCKING IT ALL UP.

JESUS CHRIST COOMER.

Kerry Wood can't take that job soon enough.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1442 on: April 17, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 17, 2015, 02:51:45 PM
Quote from: Slaky on April 17, 2015, 02:50:01 PM

JESUS CHRIST COOMER.

Kerry Wood can't take that job soon enough.

I usually listen to the opposing broadcast unless it someone more unlistenable than Coomer (e.g., a Brenneman or the Cardinals guys).

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1443 on: April 20, 2015, 03:29:49 PM »
Like I mentioned in another thread, I listened to Murph for about 15 minutes on Saturday. I forgot he even existed until then. In those 15 minutes he...

•   Complained that the pitcher hitting 8th means Bryant has no protection in the lineup, and proposed that Rizzo or Soler hit after him... because of the pitcher hitting eighth.
•   Complained about players that wear their hats crooked.
•   Complained about Baez taking so much time off to grieve for his dead sister.
•   Suggested that Maddon teach the outfielders to intentionally kick balls into the ivy to stop runners from advancing.
•   Ran through every "Epstink is terrible" meme you can imagine, and said any GM could build a winning team if all he did was tank for four years and get number one draft picks. Right... because guys like Arrieta and Rizzo were number one picks made by the Cubs under Theo. He also said that Hendry only had a crappy farm system because he traded away all the good players to try to win at the major league level. Well maybe he shouldn't have done that then.

Maybe it was 20 minutes.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1444 on: April 20, 2015, 03:32:51 PM »
Quote from: Tony on April 20, 2015, 03:29:49 PM
Like I mentioned in another thread, I listened to Murph for about 15 minutes on Saturday. I forgot he even existed until then. In those 15 minutes he...

•   Complained that the pitcher hitting 8th means Bryant has no protection in the lineup, and proposed that Rizzo or Soler hit after him... because of the pitcher hitting eighth.
•   Complained about Baez taking so much time off to grieve for his dead sister.
•   Suggested that Maddon teach the outfielders to intentionally kick balls into the ivy to stop runners from advancing.
•   Ran through every "Epstink is terrible" meme you can imagine, and said any GM could build a winning team if all he did was tank for four years and get number one draft picks. Right... because guys like Arrieta and Rizzo were number one picks made by the Cubs under Theo. He also said that Hendry only had a crappy farm system because he traded away all the good players to try to win at the major league level. Well maybe he shouldn't have done that then.

Maybe it was 20 minutes.

I am getting kinda meatball on the pitcher hitting 8th myself. It's probably not actually hurting them that much, I just don't see too many scenarios where having Jonathan Herrerra on base for Fowler about 20% of the time is that useful either. I just haven't seen enough of a benefit to get over my initial feeling of disgust at it because it reminds me too much of The Genius.

Otherwise I have no idea who this Murphy guy is but he sounds awful.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1445 on: April 20, 2015, 03:47:28 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 20, 2015, 03:32:51 PM

Maybe it was 20 minutes.

I am getting kinda meatball on the pitcher hitting 8th myself. It's probably not actually hurting them that much, I just don't see too many scenarios where having Jonathan Herrerra on base for Fowler about 20% of the time is that useful either. I just haven't seen enough of a benefit to get over my initial feeling of disgust at it because it reminds me too much of The Genius.

If the logic is having a guy on base for the top of the order, then it would make sense to bat at least Wood and Arietta 9th.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1446 on: April 20, 2015, 04:06:39 PM »

Maybe it was 20 minutes.

Murph is an interesting case because he's somehow managed to hang around in Chicago radio for years despite the fact that he is A. Utterly incompetent and terrible at it in every way and B. Completely and utterly despised by everyone in the industry, except maybe Fred Huebner.

It's one thing to really good at your job and act like an asshole, and yet another to be terrible at your job but likable, but this guy's career mystifies me.  Boers & Bernstein used to openly attack his show on the air and Mike Mulligan basically called him an asshole to his face on air. 

In short, fuck Mike Murphy.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1447 on: April 20, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »
Quote from: CT III on April 20, 2015, 04:06:39 PM

Maybe it was 20 minutes.

Murph is an interesting case because he's somehow managed to hang around in Chicago radio for years despite the fact that he is A. Utterly incompetent and terrible at it in every way and B. Completely and utterly despised by everyone in the industry, except maybe Fred Huebner.

It's one thing to really good at your job and act like an asshole, and yet another to be terrible at your job but likable, but this guy's career mystifies me.  Boers & Bernstein used to openly attack his show on the air and Mike Mulligan basically called him an asshole to his face on air. 

What station is giving him airtime? I thought he was in San Francisco given B&B's "not far enough" meme whenever Murph's name comes up.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1448 on: April 20, 2015, 04:16:37 PM »

Maybe it was 20 minutes.

Was Murphy the one that called Julie a "little tart" a few weeks back or was that Coppock?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1449 on: April 20, 2015, 04:20:23 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 20, 2015, 04:16:37 PM

Maybe it was 20 minutes.

Was Murphy the one that called Julie a "little tart" a few weeks back or was that Coppock?

It was Coppock.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1450 on: April 20, 2015, 04:21:52 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 20, 2015, 04:20:23 PM

Maybe it was 20 minutes.

It was Coppock.

Winners, all of them.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1451 on: April 20, 2015, 04:29:22 PM »

Maybe it was 20 minutes.

I don't know what to think about the pitcher hitting 8th. Maybe some nerds can use maths to explain if it's a good idea or not. But I do know it has nothing to do with the order Soler/Rizzo/Bryant hit, which is what Murph was suggesting.

Unless he was saying that Soler should be 5th instead of 2nd because he disagrees with Maddon that 2nd is actually 3rd when the pitcher is 8th, in which case maybe it makes sense. I think.

Either way, fuck Murph.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1452 on: April 20, 2015, 06:10:28 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 20, 2015, 04:15:45 PM

Maybe it was 20 minutes.

What station is giving him airtime? I thought he was in San Francisco given B&B's "not far enough" meme whenever Murph's name comes up.

Last I recall, ESPN 1000 was giving him some airtime on weekends.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1453 on: April 20, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 20, 2015, 04:20:23 PM

Maybe it was 20 minutes.

It was Coppock.

He did that right before she guested on the Puckcast, and for that free material I'm forever grateful.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1454 on: April 27, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »
Watching the Rays/Yankees game tonight, just got to hear Dewayne Staats wax nostalgic for "old" stats with Brian Anderson.

Paraphrasing...

QuoteDidja see [Teixeira] is leading the league in isolated power. What does that even mean? He's isolated so nobody talks to him? That he's a loner? Everybody talks to him. He's well-liked. ... That's what I dislike about all the new stats. How they just get pushed out there with no explanation. ... I like the old stats because I sort of am one. ... Isolated power -- does that mean he's the only power?!? ... [Something even more incoherent about "new math"]

"New" stats. So complicated!