News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Twatheads Twittering  ( 213,373 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Twatheads Twittering
« Reply #1155 on: January 29, 2016, 11:44:45 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 29, 2016, 10:43:59 AM
Quote from: flannj on January 29, 2016, 10:35:47 AM
Quote from: PANK! on January 29, 2016, 09:10:19 AM
Heh.

I love this line...

QuoteIs that what you were trying to do?  Out-dumb Al Yellon?

As I commented at the bottom of that article, as ludicrous as this Trueblood piece was it doesn't come close to holding a candle to that prosaic diarrhea that was Yellon's "How many tears, Theo?" idiocy.

Yeah, Trueblood is being contrarian. Alvin is a fucking doofus.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1156 on: February 25, 2016, 03:48:08 PM »
Has Trooblud surfaced to explain how Theo just fucked everything up?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1157 on: April 05, 2016, 09:36:57 AM »
U gotta be shittin me.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1158 on: April 05, 2016, 11:27:31 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 05, 2016, 09:36:57 AM
U gotta be shittin me.

All his tweets are private anyway - were you following him?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1159 on: April 05, 2016, 11:30:02 AM »
U gotta be shittin me.

You're better for having trolled.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1160 on: April 05, 2016, 11:30:13 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 05, 2016, 11:27:31 AM
U gotta be shittin me.

I don't think he went private till last night when Slak found him saying Lester gives every opponent two free innings because he's mentally weak and needs a personal catcher (I guess Greg Maddux was mentally weak, who knew?), and after Slak gave him shit and I quoted him and Shut Up Paul'd him he appears to have disappeared into the void.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1161 on: April 05, 2016, 01:24:16 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 05, 2016, 11:30:13 AM
Quote from: Tonker on April 05, 2016, 11:27:31 AM
U gotta be shittin me.

I don't think he went private till last night when Slak found him saying Lester gives every opponent two free innings because he's mentally weak and needs a personal catcher (I guess Greg Maddux was mentally weak, who knew?), and after Slak gave him shit and I quoted him and Shut Up Paul'd him he appears to have disappeared into the void.

SKO's oral history is correct. Paul typically comes out of the woodwork and tweets his fucked up nonsense at Non Desipio Cubs bloggers and then deletes all his tweets and goes away again.

So apparently I won't be able to partake next time.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1162 on: April 24, 2016, 10:22:31 PM »
https://twitter.com/bachlaw/status/724424652014137344?s=09

This is why people hate sabermetrics. Jake's K rate is literally the only peripheral he has that is "meh" (ground ball rate, soft/hard contact rates, BB rate, xFIP/FIP are similar to last year) and it's down a whopping 3% from last year over a grand total of 108 batters faced. That's a blip that could change if he Ks ten Brewers on Wednesday. Yet this guy has to go "harumph meh peripherals" a few days after Jake throws a fucking no hitter. 
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1163 on: April 25, 2016, 12:02:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 24, 2016, 10:22:31 PM

This is why people hate sabermetrics. Jake's K rate is literally the only peripheral he has that is "meh" (ground ball rate, soft/hard contact rates, BB rate, xFIP/FIP are similar to last year) and it's down a whopping 3% from last year over a grand total of 108 batters faced. That's a blip that could change if he Ks ten Brewers on Wednesday. Yet this guy has to go "harumph meh peripherals" a few days after Jake throws a fucking no hitter. 

who is this person
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1164 on: April 25, 2016, 06:39:11 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on April 25, 2016, 12:02:43 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 24, 2016, 10:22:31 PM

who is this person

I think he works for Baseball Prospectus. I only saw this because of some BP guys retweeting it and also defending this guy.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1165 on: April 25, 2016, 07:27:50 AM »
DPD, my point is he could easily have said "interesting that Arrieta is getting similar results despite striking out fewer batters so far this year", which is true, and actually speaks to Jake's stated goal this year of using fewer pitches by pitching to contact (he also seems to be using his slutter less, which is his strikeout pitch, so that he reduces the stress on his arm and saves his bullets for October). Saying "despite his meh peripherals" when he appears to have exactly one "meh" peripheral and still has a FIP/xFIP below 3.00, just seems like a snide way of implying regression that isn't really happening yet.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1166 on: April 25, 2016, 09:20:53 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 25, 2016, 07:27:50 AM
DPD, my point is he could easily have said "interesting that Arrieta is getting similar results despite striking out fewer batters so far this year", which is true, and actually speaks to Jake's stated goal this year of using fewer pitches by pitching to contact (he also seems to be using his slutter less, which is his strikeout pitch, so that he reduces the stress on his arm and saves his bullets for October). Saying "despite his meh peripherals" when he appears to have exactly one "meh" peripheral and still has a FIP/xFIP below 3.00, just seems like a snide way of implying regression that isn't really happening yet.

A lot of the peripherals are more of the how he is doing it than the how he is doing. Bottom line: if the most dominant pitcher in baseball right now, who is in the midst of a run maybe not produced by people not named Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale or Sandy Koufax, has "meh" peripherals, maybe that speaks to the efficacy of said peripherals as a measure of performance. Didn't that ignorant hack ever read Moneyball?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1167 on: April 25, 2016, 09:28:57 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 25, 2016, 09:20:53 AM

A lot of the peripherals are more of the how he is doing it than the how he is doing. Bottom line: if the most dominant pitcher in baseball right now, who is in the midst of a run maybe not produced by people not named Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale or Sandy Koufax, has "meh" peripherals, maybe that speaks to the efficacy of said peripherals as a measure of performance. Didn't that ignorant hack ever read Moneyball?

Yeah, we're 4 starts into year 3 of Jake Arrieta being one of the best pitchers in the game, and his stated goal was to induce more weak contact so as to throw fewer pitches. He has a slightly lower K rate (and a still stellar FIP/xFIP, walk rate, etc) over 4 measly games and suddenly his "peripherals are meh". I think maybe Jake Arrieta can just do whatever the fuck he wants and if he wants you to ground out rather than strike out, well, that's what you're going to do.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1168 on: April 25, 2016, 09:34:11 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 25, 2016, 09:28:57 AM

Yeah, we're 4 starts into year 3 of Jake Arrieta being one of the best pitchers in the game, and his stated goal was to induce more weak contact so as to throw fewer pitches. He has a slightly lower K rate (and a still stellar FIP/xFIP, walk rate, etc) over 4 measly games and suddenly his "peripherals are meh". I think maybe Jake Arrieta can just do whatever the fuck he wants and if he wants you to ground out rather than strike out, well, that's what you're going to do.

I find it most concerning that someone who writes for BP is trying to extrapolate anything from 31 innings.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1169 on: April 25, 2016, 09:38:08 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 25, 2016, 09:34:11 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 25, 2016, 09:28:57 AM

I find it most concerning that someone who writes for BP is trying to extrapolate anything from 31 innings.

Yeah, the difference between last year's K rate of 27% and this year's K rate of 24% over the 108 batters Jake has faced so far is....3 strikeouts. But meh peripherals.