News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Twatheads Twittering  ( 213,238 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Twatheads Twittering
« Reply #1125 on: January 27, 2016, 07:53:42 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 27, 2016, 07:39:22 PM
Quote from: Bort on January 27, 2016, 06:42:29 PM
Quote from: PANK! on January 27, 2016, 03:30:13 PM

You've had a good run, Jon.

That's a damn lie and you know it.

Yeah, DARPA is essentially crazy R&D for the defense industry, which means they have a high budget and an expected high failure rate, but occasionally come up with super crazy shit. I once did clinical trial data management for a DARPA trial on magnetic helmets as an attempt to help pilots be able to fly for several days without rest. Not a fucking thing to do with running a major league ball club.

Yeah, the writers of the DARPA article worked there and then ended up in the ATAP group of Motorola Mobility which is now owned by Google. So something they seem to gloss over here is that the organizations they're talking about have virtually unlimited funds for R&D.

And his article makes some weird damn leaps:

"It's just that the Cubs have a chance to be more than a great team. They have a chance to change baseball for the better, in many ways. Opening up the organization to an entirely new perspective, perhaps even from someone in another field of endeavor altogether, could foment that possibility."

If Epstein leaves, my guess is that the Ricketts are not bringing in someone from "another field of endeavor" to run the team.  Also, no one uses that expression.

They'll hire FOOTBALL EXECUTIVE Paul DePodesta. That's right, chumps, a completely different field of endeavor. Now that's how you Disrupt! Innovate! Think outside the box! Thought leaders!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1126 on: January 27, 2016, 07:57:24 PM »

Yeah, DARPA is essentially crazy R&D for the defense industry, which means they have a high budget and an expected high failure rate, but occasionally come up with super crazy shit. I once did clinical trial data management for a DARPA trial on magnetic helmets as an attempt to help pilots be able to fly for several days without rest. Not a fucking thing to do with running a major league ball club.

Yeah, the writers of the DARPA article worked there and then ended up in the ATAP group of Motorola Mobility which is now owned by Google. So something they seem to gloss over here is that the organizations they're talking about have virtually unlimited funds for R&D.

"It's just that the Cubs have a chance to be more than a great team. They have a chance to change baseball for the better, in many ways. Opening up the organization to an entirely new perspective, perhaps even from someone in another field of endeavor altogether, could foment that possibility."

If Epstein leaves, my guess is that the Ricketts are not bringing in someone from "another field of endeavor" to run the team.  Also, no one uses that expression.

Nobody says "foment" either.

Also, this idea that the Cubs could somehow transform baseball is a little ludicrous. They're led by some smart baseball guys right now who have taken a good approach, exploited a few market inefficiencies and half-lucked their way into a couple fantastic prospects.

Let's not turn them into much more than that.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1127 on: January 27, 2016, 08:06:25 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 27, 2016, 07:57:24 PM

If Epstein leaves, my guess is that the Ricketts are not bringing in someone from "another field of endeavor" to run the team.  Also, no one uses that expression.

Also, this idea that the Cubs could somehow transform baseball is a little ludicrous. They're led by some smart baseball guys right now who have taken a good approach, exploited a few market inefficiencies and half-lucked their way into a couple fantastic prospects.

Yeah. What are they supposed to do, use baseball to help bring about The Singularity?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1128 on: January 27, 2016, 08:08:01 PM »

I'm also pretty sure that non-baseball people have run organizations before, to disastrous results. Including in the Cubs, via that master of innovation, P.K. Wrigley.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1129 on: January 27, 2016, 08:18:05 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 27, 2016, 08:06:25 PM

Yeah. What are they supposed to do, use baseball to help bring about The Singularity?

One can only hope.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1130 on: January 27, 2016, 09:28:57 PM »

Yeah. What are they supposed to do, use baseball to help bring about foment The Singularity?

Get with the times.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1131 on: January 27, 2016, 09:41:57 PM »

You have a flair for understatement.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1132 on: January 27, 2016, 09:50:37 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 27, 2016, 09:28:57 PM

Yeah. What are they supposed to do, use baseball to help bring about foment The Singularity?

Get with the times.

Look, much like all plethoras are veritable, the only thing one can foment is rebellion.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1133 on: January 27, 2016, 09:53:52 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 27, 2016, 07:53:42 PM

If Epstein leaves, my guess is that the Ricketts are not bringing in someone from "another field of endeavor" to run the team.  Also, no one uses that expression.

They'll hire FOOTBALL EXECUTIVE Paul DePodesta. That's right, chumps, a completely different field of endeavor. Now that's how you Disrupt! Innovate! Think outside the box! Thought leaders!

How about somebody that's kept their head above water during eight years of flat yield curve?
I'm qualified!
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1134 on: January 27, 2016, 10:03:27 PM »
Quote from: flannj on January 27, 2016, 09:53:52 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 27, 2016, 07:53:42 PM

How about somebody that's kept their head above water during eight years of flat yield curve?
I'm qualified!

"I'M A GUY LIKE ME!"

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1135 on: January 27, 2016, 11:24:32 PM »
I used to work somewhere that had Rush Limbaugh on every day. I distinctly remember him saying "foment" all the time. So there's that.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1136 on: January 28, 2016, 09:12:25 AM »
In conclusion, this guy made a life decision based on his misinterpretation of an article in the Harvard Business Review and it worked out great for him, so why wouldn't the Cubs do the same?

Also, does this mean troob lud is going to be changing careers in a couple more years?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1137 on: January 28, 2016, 09:35:30 AM »

Intrepid Reader: Huey

Go on...
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1138 on: January 28, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 28, 2016, 09:12:25 AM
In conclusion, this guy made a life decision based on his misinterpretation of an article in the Harvard Business Review and it worked out great for him, so why wouldn't the Cubs do the same?

Also, does this mean troob lud is going to be changing careers in a couple more years?

Are we sure he's not actually teh aPul?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1139 on: January 28, 2016, 12:27:09 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on January 28, 2016, 09:35:30 AM

Intrepid Reader: Huey

Go on...

I laughed.