News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,552 )

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #1125 on: February 06, 2010, 11:36:13 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 06, 2010, 11:02:35 AM
Kevin Millar's got it going on

Quote"Everybody is looking at stats ... I get it," Millar, who signed a minor-league contract with the Cubs, said Friday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "But my point is when you're making a team and trying to bring in a bunch of different personalities I think everybody's got a certain amount of intangibles that they bring.

"Obviously, I'll bring some leadership qualities. I've won a World Series. Having a chance to play with guys like Ryan Dempster and Derrek Lee, we came up together in Florida. It's trying to make a family atmosphere and trying to get everybody to pull on the same rope and trying to get everybody to believe that we can do this."

..."[Cubs general manager] Jim [Hendry] knows what I can bring to a clubhouse, what I can bring to a team other than being a right-handed guy off the bench or whatever he needs me to be," said Millar, 38, who spent last season with the Toronto Blue Jays, batting .223 with seven home runs and 29 runs batted in. "I think that's the biggest problem that the Cubs have had to be honest with you. People ask me all the time, 'Is team chemistry overrated?' Well, you tell me. You're with 25 guys more than your family from basically end of February to October. That's not overrated.

"When you go out to eat you want to have 12, 15 guys there. When you barbecue you want everyone included. ....You try to bring a team and a group together. When you get everyone pulling on the same rope, it's exciting. When you win it's a lot of fun."

..."We're so in tune with stats and numbers and we forget that teams win championships, not players," Millar said. "My job is to go out there and only do what I can control and that's have a good spring training and hopefully have a good shot at making this club."

Great, so this year 'chemistry' is Hendry's 'left-handedness'
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1126 on: February 06, 2010, 12:08:31 PM »

Quote"Everybody is looking at stats ... I get it," Millar, who signed a minor-league contract with the Cubs, said Friday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "But my point is when you're making a team and trying to bring in a bunch of different personalities I think everybody's got a certain amount of intangibles that they bring.

"Obviously, I'll bring some leadership qualities. I've won a World Series. Having a chance to play with guys like Ryan Dempster and Derrek Lee, we came up together in Florida. It's trying to make a family atmosphere and trying to get everybody to pull on the same rope and trying to get everybody to believe that we can do this."

..."[Cubs general manager] Jim [Hendry] knows what I can bring to a clubhouse, what I can bring to a team other than being a right-handed guy off the bench or whatever he needs me to be," said Millar, 38, who spent last season with the Toronto Blue Jays, batting .223 with seven home runs and 29 runs batted in. "I think that's the biggest problem that the Cubs have had to be honest with you. People ask me all the time, 'Is team chemistry overrated?' Well, you tell me. You're with 25 guys more than your family from basically end of February to October. That's not overrated.

"When you go out to eat you want to have 12, 15 guys there. When you barbecue you want everyone included. ....You try to bring a team and a group together. When you get everyone pulling on the same rope, it's exciting. When you win it's a lot of fun."

..."We're so in tune with stats and numbers and we forget that teams win championships, not players," Millar said. "My job is to go out there and only do what I can control and that's have a good spring training and hopefully have a good shot at making this club."

This guy's funnier than Will Ferrell. I mean, this is a bit right?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1127 on: February 06, 2010, 05:24:48 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 06, 2010, 12:08:31 PM

I don't know.  None of us have ever been in a major league clubhouse before.  Millar actually has, so he probably knows better than we do.  I'm inclined to believe him.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1128 on: February 06, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 06, 2010, 05:24:48 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 06, 2010, 12:08:31 PM

I don't know.  None of us have ever been in a major league clubhouse before.  Millar actually has, so he probably knows better than we do.  I'm inclined to believe him.

The highlighted quotes blew my mind. People other than myself thought Kenny Powers and Jackie Moonbeam were hilarious. But this, man, you can't write better shit than this. What does he suppose he can be other than a righthanded bat off the bench? A lefthanded bat starting in center? Coulda saved Jimbo a lot of bother with the Marlon Byrd deal. How about a power arm out of the pen? Could he be that? No? Righthanded guy off the bench? Yay?

And how many dudes do you like to have around when you go out to eat? I usually like just the one. Me. But obviously, I've got my priorities completely fucked. 12, 15? Why not 25? Why not 50? Why don't we just join the military? Then we won't have a choice. Every meal, 50 dudes. Bam.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1129 on: February 06, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »
Millar is the exact opposite of Milton, but equally annoying.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1130 on: February 07, 2010, 08:03:41 AM »
I hope he steps out onto Maricopa Highway and gets run over and killed.

Either that, or get cut.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1131 on: February 07, 2010, 04:25:47 PM »
Of course the Douchebag Faction of the fanbase will love this guy.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1132 on: February 07, 2010, 08:59:49 PM »
Quote"When you go out to eat you want to have 12, 15 guys there.

Except for the other 13 or 10 that you really don't want there.

Kevin Millar has reached the stage where all he can bring is veteran presence, because he can't really play.  Teams have a word for that.  They call it "coach."

No thanks, Kev.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1133 on: February 08, 2010, 02:26:18 AM »
Quote from: Fork on February 05, 2010, 12:50:48 PM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on February 05, 2010, 12:27:51 PM
Quote from: Fork on February 05, 2010, 12:23:54 PM
Julie taking the time and effort to make it easy for us to revisit some of our funniest stuff was yeoman work.

That's the lowest of bars with you and TDubbs.

Congrats.

"our" = "everyone who isn't Wheezer, ChuckD or JD".

I distinctly recall having a library book as a child that showed the elephant acupuncture points with a skull and crossbones over the perianal locus. I would have tried to work this in with the "Rich Harden's ass" angle had I noticed the dispute earlier.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1134 on: February 08, 2010, 11:31:41 AM »
All he does is hit dingers.

"Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com suggests that the Orioles could trade infielder Ty Wigginton before Opening Day.
Wigginton won't get many starts in Baltimore after the signings of Miguel Tejada and Garrett Atkins, but he could appeal to any number of teams in need of a right-handed bat. Wigginton, 32, batted .273/.314/.400 with 11 home runs and 41 RBI in 410 at-bats with the Orioles last season and has popped left-handers to an 840 OPS during his career. He is on tap to earn $3.5 million this season.
Source: MASNSports.com "

www.rotoworld.com

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1135 on: February 08, 2010, 01:42:46 PM »
I went to ESPN's team site for the Chicago Cubs and checked out the Cubs outfield depth chart.  Apparently Randy Winn is the Cubs' number two center fielder.  The internet is wonderful.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1136 on: February 08, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »
Stew inspired me to visit the Cubs' own depth chart page http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=chc .

Not exactly a lineup to be feared.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1137 on: February 08, 2010, 02:36:54 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on February 08, 2010, 02:05:52 PM
Stew inspired me to visit the Cubs' own depth chart page http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=chc .

Not exactly a lineup to be feared.

Well, by the fans, certainly.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1138 on: February 08, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
That bullpen could be awesome.

In AA Tennessee.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1139 on: February 08, 2010, 05:12:22 PM »
""We just needed to get a couple of pieces, and we really think Byrd and Nady are going to help us in a lot of areas, especially offensively. And I'm optimistic some of the people that didn't hit last year will. Rudy is going to help us. … I think we're quite a bit better.""

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-100206-chicago-cubs-jim-hendry,0,3343777.story