News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,536 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #1140 on: February 08, 2010, 06:16:51 PM »
Quote from: BH on February 08, 2010, 05:12:22 PM
""We just needed to get a couple of pieces, and we really think Byrd and Nady are going to help us in a lot of areas, especially offensively. And I'm optimistic some of the people that didn't hit last year will. Rudy is going to help us. ... I think we're quite a bit better.""

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-100206-chicago-cubs-jim-hendry,0,3343777.story

It seems to me that people think because Milt isn't around to upset people's delicate sensibilities that the Cubs are suddenly going to be great. It saddens me. But if 20 guys are going to dinner every night, well, that's just as good as a 100 wins and a World Series.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1141 on: February 08, 2010, 06:43:28 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on February 08, 2010, 06:16:51 PM
""We just needed to get a couple of pieces, and we really think Byrd and Nady are going to help us in a lot of areas, especially offensively. And I'm optimistic some of the people that didn't hit last year will. Rudy is going to help us. ... I think we're quite a bit better.""

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-100206-chicago-cubs-jim-hendry,0,3343777.story

It seems to me that people think because Milt isn't around to upset people's delicate sensibilities that the Cubs are suddenly going to be great. It saddens me. But if 20 guys are going to dinner every night, well, that's just as good as a 100 wins and a World Series.

Obviously.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1142 on: February 08, 2010, 07:27:36 PM »

No offense, but does anyone that's not close to the organization actually think that? I mean, I think they'll be ok, 83-87 win range, but I don't think they'll be horrible. I've been trying to convince myself that the Cardinals are more in the 85-90 win range, and with a little luck, the Cubs could squeak their way in the playoffs, and then whatever, but that's the TJ Brown optimist side of myself.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1143 on: February 08, 2010, 09:41:34 PM »
the one thing the Cubs have going for them is that the winner of the division won't be determined by which team plays the best but by which team sucks the least.

So there's that.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1144 on: February 08, 2010, 09:47:14 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 08, 2010, 07:27:36 PM

No offense, but does anyone that's not close to the organization actually think that? I mean, I think they'll be ok, 83-87 win range, but I don't think they'll be horrible. I've been trying to convince myself that the Cardinals are more in the 85-90 win range, and with a little luck, the Cubs could squeak their way in the playoffs, and then whatever, but that's the TJ Brown optimist side of myself.

Well now you've offended me. Good day, sir.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1145 on: February 09, 2010, 05:08:22 AM »

You also think that Milton is good and Marlon is a complete turd wrapped in turd wrapping paper.  So there's that.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1146 on: February 09, 2010, 07:13:52 AM »
Quote from: Slack-E on February 08, 2010, 09:47:14 PM

Well now you've offended me. Good day, sir.

Allow me to apologize

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1147 on: February 09, 2010, 07:30:48 AM »
Fuck the Cubs.  Maybe the Saints can play baseball in Chicago.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1148 on: February 09, 2010, 07:54:46 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 09, 2010, 07:30:48 AM

Put Reggie Bush in center, make Drew Brees the ace and TRADE ZAMBRANO!!!!!!  That hothead!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1149 on: February 09, 2010, 08:17:17 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 09, 2010, 07:30:48 AM

How many dudes do you think they could get to go to dinner with one another?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1150 on: February 09, 2010, 09:51:54 AM »

I'm an optimist, but not even I am that optimistic.

The Cubs are probably more of a 78-83 win team right now; however, a few things could improve my outlook:

a) Ted Lilly returns to the mound and to form in May.
b) Soriano is healthy and goes on at least three of his patented two-three week tears.
c) Fukudome doesn't suck.
d) The middle bullpen isn't vital as Dempster, Z, Lilly and Wells average more than six innings per start and are very effective.
e) Geo hits like it's 2008.

If any of these two things happen, the Cubs will compete for the division. I'd say you could have thrown an option "f" in there: "Bradley progresses to the mean," but he's gone, so let's go with a new option "f:" "Larry Rothschild makes Carlos Silva into a legitimate No. 2 starter." That's as likely as me getting killed by a stampede of elephants this afternoon, however.

I do think Slak's right that a lot of people do think that since Bradley's gone and that a "great guy" and "man's man" like Kevin Millar will be in the clubhouse "stirring the drink,"  woo-hoo, we've got a champion. I know far too many Cub fans that think that.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1151 on: February 09, 2010, 09:57:53 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on February 09, 2010, 09:51:54 AM
I do think Slak's right that a lot of people do think that since Bradley's gone and that a "great guy" and "man's man" like Kevin Millar will be in the clubhouse "stirring the drink,"  woo-hoo, we've got a champion. I know far too many Cub fans that think that.

I seriously don't know that I've talked to a single Cubs fan outside of you dolts who agreed with me that Bradley for Silva was anything but an awesome move.

I'm talking friends and family here, too. It's downright depressing.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1152 on: February 09, 2010, 09:59:44 AM »

The Cubs are probably more of a 78-83 win team right now; however, a few things could improve my outlook:

b) Soriano is healthy and goes on at least three of his patented two-three week tears.
d) The middle bullpen isn't vital as Dempster, Z, Lilly and Wells average more than six innings per start and are very effective.

If any of these two things happen, the Cubs will compete for the division. I'd say you could have thrown an option "f" in there: "Bradley progresses to the mean," but he's gone, so let's go with a new option "f:" "Larry Rothschild makes Carlos Silva into a legitimate No. 2 starter." That's as likely as me getting killed by a stampede of elephants this afternoon, however.

I do think Slak's right that a lot of people do think that since Bradley's gone and that a "great guy" and "man's man" like Kevin Millar will be in the clubhouse "stirring the drink,"  woo-hoo, we've got a champion. I know far too many Cub fans that think that.

Yes, a lot of Cub fans will say that exact same thing - chiefly people that don't post here. And not even because of Millar but purely because of the subtraction of Bradley. It's unfortunate but I'll gladly listen to the cries of "It was all Milton's fault!" if the Cubs manage to rule the NL this year.

Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on February 09, 2010, 09:57:53 AM

I seriously don't know that I've talked to a single Cubs fan outside of you dolts who agreed with me that Bradley for Silva was anything but an awesome move.

Yep - I've seen it too. My wife put some summer pictures up on facebook today and we happened to be in right field. Our guy Milt was standing there looking insane and trying to destroy team chemistry with his mind bullets. You can see it in the photo, you really can.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1153 on: February 09, 2010, 10:06:41 AM »
Quote from: Slack-E on February 09, 2010, 09:59:44 AM
My wife put some summer pictures up on facebook today

Not relevant to the thread at all, but your wife takes awesome photos.

Just wanted to offer some sincerity to the collective.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1154 on: February 09, 2010, 10:15:05 AM »
Quote from: Slack-E on February 09, 2010, 09:59:44 AM

Yes, a lot of Cub fans will say that exact same thing - chiefly people that don't post here. And not even because of Millar but purely because of the subtraction of Bradley. It's unfortunate but I'll gladly listen to the cries of "It was all Milton's fault!" if the Cubs manage to rule the NL this year.

Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on February 09, 2010, 09:57:53 AM

Yep - I've seen it too. My wife put some summer pictures up on facebook today and we happened to be in right field. Our guy Milt was standing there looking insane and trying to destroy team chemistry with his mind bullets. You can see it in the photo, you really can.

That's telekinesis, Kyle