News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: PS3 Slim and Price Cut  ( 38,329 )

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
PS3 Slim and Price Cut
« on: August 18, 2009, 01:33:11 PM »
Finally.  I had to talk the woman out of buying one on Sunday.  She didn't believe all the rumor crap I've shown her over the last month so glad they finally announced it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/18/sony-announces-new-slimmer-ps3-coming-first-week-of-sept/

I'm more excited about the price cut, but the bigger hard drive, unit size, and less power consumption are all plusses.  No backwards compatability but really, you can buy a PS2 on the cheap so who really needs that?  Price cuts on existing models come tomorrow, wonder how cheap the current 80 gig will be compared to it's current $400 tag.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: PS3 Slim and Price Cut
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
Quote from: Poon on August 18, 2009, 01:33:11 PM
Finally.  I had to talk the woman out of buying one on Sunday.  She didn't believe all the rumor crap I've shown her over the last month so glad they finally announced it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/18/sony-announces-new-slimmer-ps3-coming-first-week-of-sept/

I'm more excited about the price cut, but the bigger hard drive, unit size, and less power consumption are all plusses.  No backwards compatability but really, you can buy a PS2 on the cheap so who really needs that?  Price cuts on existing models come tomorrow, wonder how cheap the current 80 gig will be compared to it's current $400 tag.

At that price and size, I'd consider it solely for Blu-Ray and The Show.  And maybe God of War III.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 01:43:58 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 18, 2009, 01:38:00 PM

At that price and size, I'd consider it solely for Blu-Ray and The Show.  And maybe God of War III.

The link is blocked at work.  Did they list a price after the cut?  I'm with Kerm...I've already been considering it for The Show and the blu-ray.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 01:49:42 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on August 18, 2009, 01:43:58 PM

The link is blocked at work.  Did they list a price after the cut?  I'm with Kerm...I've already been considering it for The Show and the blu-ray.

$299.  From the article:

QuoteWe know, we're as shocked as you are! Sony has used the GamesCom stage in Cologne to announce the oh-so-tiny PS3 Slim. The good news is that the system sports both a slimmer form factor (33 percent smaller, 36 percent lighter and 34 percent less power use) a 120GB hard drive and the tidy price tag of $299. It boasts all the same features as the current PS3, which means still no backwards compatibility with your PS2 games.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 01:56:06 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 18, 2009, 01:49:42 PM

$299.  From the article:

QuoteWe know, we're as shocked as you are! Sony has used the GamesCom stage in Cologne to announce the oh-so-tiny PS3 Slim. The good news is that the system sports both a slimmer form factor (33 percent smaller, 36 percent lighter and 34 percent less power use) a 120GB hard drive and the tidy price tag of $299. It boasts all the same features as the current PS3, which means still no backwards compatibility with your PS2 games.

Well I'm glad I bought a PS3 about four months ago...GUH.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 01:57:31 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on August 18, 2009, 01:56:06 PM

$299.  From the article:

Well I'm glad I bought a PS3 about four months ago...GUH.

http://www.sadtrombone.com/

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 01:58:06 PM »

$299.  From the article:

I was planning on getting one when I finally finished my move to Detroit this fall/winter along with a big ass new tv and entertainment center.  We were mainly getting it for the blu ray and Little Big Planet/God of War III so getting a bigger hard drive than the current $400 unit and getting it for $100 less is great.  I'm really curious what the price cut will be on the two current models in stores, along with how much those will be used at Game Stop.  If they cut the 80 down to $200, I may just have to grab one of those or see what Game Stops used price will be on it.

On Sept 8th they are also releasing the GOTY Little Big Planet that will come with $30 worth of DLC and a bunch of new custom levels.  The stinker is that it's going to be a "limited release" so it might be worth grabbing if you can, even if you'll be waiting on the PS3 slim to come out at the end of Sept.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 02:03:27 PM »
Quote from: Poon on August 18, 2009, 01:58:06 PM

$299.  From the article:

I was planning on getting one when I finally finished my move to Detroit this fall/winter along with a big ass new tv and entertainment center.  We were mainly getting it for the blu ray and Little Big Planet/God of War III so getting a bigger hard drive than the current $400 unit and getting it for $100 less is great.  I'm really curious what the price cut will be on the two current models in stores, along with how much those will be used at Game Stop.  If they cut the 80 down to $200, I may just have to grab one of those or see what Game Stops used price will be on it.

On Sept 8th they are also releasing the GOTY Little Big Planet that will come with $30 worth of DLC and a bunch of new custom levels.  The stinker is that it's going to be a "limited release" so it might be worth grabbing if you can, even if you'll be waiting on the PS3 slim to come out at the end of Sept.

Holy crap, if the older models go for about $200, it's a given.  I just have to find a way to get teh missus on board.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 02:06:04 PM »

$299.  From the article:

I wonder if they'll discontinue the 80 since the 120 is now "competitively priced."
Hire Jim Essian!

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 02:06:48 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on August 18, 2009, 02:03:27 PM

$299.  From the article:

Holy crap, if the older models go for about $200, it's a given.  I just have to find a way to get teh missus on board.

If they only cut it to $250 I don't see people really buying them and clearing the shelves unless of course there's a game included at most stores.  For an extra $50 you can get the new hotness with a bigger hard drive and that's easily worth an extra $50 so cutting it to $200 would be the only way I'd even think about getting the current 80 gig model.  Then if you cut it cheaper at game stop for a used one.....that could be a hell of a deal.  It would be an extra $30 or $40 off to grab a used one I'd bet.

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 02:07:55 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 18, 2009, 02:06:04 PM

$299.  From the article:

I wonder if they'll discontinue the 80 since the 120 is now "competitively priced."

For the last few weeks stores haven't been able to even order more stock of the current 80's so odds are they'll be gone and the price cut on current units that starts tomorrow is just to clear existing stock.

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 03:52:40 PM »
Ok, so Game Stops web site has finally cut the price of the 80 gig PS3 to a insanely low.....$299.  The same price you can buy the PS3 Slim with 40 gigs more hard drive space in about a month.  Yep, they'll be flying off the shelves I bet.  The used 80 gig model is still selling at $350.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 05:08:53 PM »
Quote from: Poon on August 18, 2009, 03:52:40 PM
Ok, so Game Stops web site has finally cut the price of the 80 gig PS3 to a insanely low.....$299.  The same price you can buy the PS3 Slim with 40 gigs more hard drive space in about a month.  Yep, they'll be flying off the shelves I bet.  The used 80 gig model is still selling at $350.

I despise Gamestop.
Hire Jim Essian!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 01:48:02 PM »
As RV will attest, I plunked down a few weeks ago on an LG Blu Ray.  Love it.  One of the reasons I picked it over the PS3 is that PS3 didn't do Netflix.

Now it does.

My LG does do some pretty cool things.  It can play HD video from my camcorder and MP3s using my computer in my office as a server.  Question to you PS3 owners: Can a PS3 do this?  Do I go back to Abt and see uif they'll let me swap?

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 02:10:58 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 18, 2009, 01:48:02 PM
As RV will attest, I plunked down a few weeks ago on an LG Blu Ray.  Love it.  One of the reasons I picked it over the PS3 is that PS3 didn't do Netflix.

Now it does.

My LG does do some pretty cool things.  It can play HD video from my camcorder and MP3s using my computer in my office as a server.  Question to you PS3 owners: Can a PS3 do this?  Do I go back to Abt and see uif they'll let me swap?

1.  You can watch Netflix on the PS3 now, but you need their disc for it until they actually put it on the firmware.  I think it still functions the same way, but still, it's a minor inconvenience.

2.  I don't know about HD video, but it can detect most USB devices, so if you connect that way, it should be fine.  And yes, you can stream audio/video from your PC onto the PS3.  I use my 360 to watch downloaded shows/movies on my TV, but the PS3 works the same way.