News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Black Crowes  ( 14,496 )

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Black Crowes
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 03:19:33 PM »
Quote from: BH on August 26, 2009, 02:58:45 PM
Quote from: Jon on August 26, 2009, 02:55:46 PM
I saw them a couple of years ago in Grant Park. I had fun on the more rock-oriented numbers.

I would say the Black Crowes sound a lot more like the Faces or Humble Pie than they do the Stones.

Jon is correct.

Only difference is that the Faces and Humble Pie weren't FUCKING POSEURS MAN !

Slak and Flannj will hopefully respond after they get done fellatin' one another while kings of leon's new album plays in the background.
I agree with Jon as well.
And I agree that The Faces and Humble Pie weren't poseurs. I've never had the impression they were trying to be something they're not.
(Although I can't take Rod Stewart)
I've always thought the Black Crowes were merely imitators, trying to be the kick ass rock n' rollers.
But without any real substance to them. Good guitarists or not their music is lightweight and boring.

EDIT: I will say the cover art on the amorica album is superb.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 03:25:51 PM »
Quote from: flannj on August 26, 2009, 03:19:33 PM
I saw them a couple of years ago in Grant Park. I had fun on the more rock-oriented numbers.

I would say the Black Crowes sound a lot more like the Faces or Humble Pie than they do the Stones.

Jon is correct.

Slak and Flannj will hopefully respond after they get done fellatin' one another while kings of leon's new album plays in the background.
I agree with Jon as well.
And I agree that The Faces and Humble Pie weren't poseurs. I've never had the impression they were trying to be something they're not.
(Although I can't take Rod Stewart)
I've always thought the Black Crowes were merely imitators, trying to be the kick ass rock n' rollers.
But without any real substance to them. Good guitarists or not their music is lightweight and boring.

EDIT: I will say the cover art on the amorica album is superb.

Only true way to settle this is to wait for Kurt to post this conversation on GROTA and collect their comments.

KD

• Jazz Life
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 03:45:51 PM »
Love the Crowes' second album.

Don't get what Humble Pie has to do with the Stones. They don't sound anything like them. Seems like a name people just toss out because it seems like it's supposed to go after "Stones-y, Faces-like, sort of Humble Pie-ish ..." in a description.

Just don't get the link between Humble Pie and the Faces, despite the Marriott/Lane/Mac/Jones thing. Stones either. And this is coming from someone who has just about every Humble Pie album (even post-Frampton), Faces album, and Stones album.

Yah mo B there!

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »
Quote from: KD on August 26, 2009, 03:45:51 PM
Don't get what Humble Pie has to do with the Stones. 

Not much. But I think the Crowes sound a lot like 'em.

Of course, Steve Marriott's voice is untouchable.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 03:56:31 PM »

Jon is correct.

I truly hate KOL, didn't used to, but I do now. As for the Crowes, I don't hate them - I just don't prefer to listen to them, ever. They're just kind of boring to me.

I have friends that like the Black Crowes, ok?

Like flannj said, they just don't write interesting songs. I'm not debating their talents.

I feel more than unqualified to contribute anything further to this thread because while I do love the classic rock, I still haven't gotten into the stuff you guys are comparing the Crowes to.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 04:02:56 PM »
Quote from: Slak on August 26, 2009, 03:56:31 PM

Jon is correct.

I truly hate KOL, didn't used to, but I do now. As for the Crowes, I don't hate them - I just don't prefer to listen to them, ever. They're just kind of boring to me.

Like flannj said, they just don't write interesting songs. I'm not debating their talents.

I feel more than unqualified to contribute anything further to this thread because while I do love the classic rock, I still haven't gotten into the stuff you guys are comparing the Crowes to.

Start with teh Faces. Rod Stewart used to be the balls. Ronnie Wood always was.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 04:05:21 PM »
Quote from: BH on August 26, 2009, 04:02:56 PM

Jon is correct.

I really, really dislike Rod Stewart.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 04:07:37 PM »
Quote from: Slak on August 26, 2009, 04:05:21 PM

Jon is correct.

He actually used to be good/cool.. and i hate all his solo stuff and him.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 04:08:53 PM »
Quote from: Slak on August 26, 2009, 04:05:21 PM

Jon is correct.

I do too, but he's not as bad in a band context.

I prefer the Small Faces (the first incarnation of the Faces with Steve Marriott of Humble Pie on vocals), but they're a mod-influenced R&B/rock band, and sound nothing like the Black Crowes.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 07:26:52 PM »
Quote from: BH on August 26, 2009, 04:07:37 PM

I agree with the above statement completely.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

KD

• Jazz Life
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 08:53:47 PM »
Stewart with Jeff Beck Group is righteous. Absolutely brilliant. Two tremendous albums, but "Truth" is just that. Fantastic piece of noise.

Yah mo B there!

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 09:45:56 PM »
Quote from: flannj on August 26, 2009, 07:26:52 PM
Quote from: BH on August 26, 2009, 04:07:37 PM

I agree with the above statement completely.

Young hearts be free tonight.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 09:01:10 AM »
flannj - where you want to meet for drinks before tomorrow's show?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 11:25:54 AM »
Quote from: BH on November 05, 2009, 09:01:10 AM
flannj - where you want to meet for drinks before tomorrow's show?
We should go hat shopping first.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 11:58:28 AM »
The World Series is over. Is Bradley still a Cub?
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?