News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 590,931 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #3930 on: April 29, 2016, 03:30:50 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 29, 2016, 03:21:10 PM
Quote from: SKO on April 29, 2016, 03:07:33 PM
Throw the fucking ball to first, Jon

There's a segment of people who act like it's politically incorrect to criticize Lester for these problems, as if they're the result of some childhood trauma or whatever. I don't get it.

I also don't get why teams don't just bunt at him over and over until he proves he can get them out.

DPD, but I think it's another thing like the Starlin Debates where the internet rules that there must be no nuance. "Jon Lester is a great pitcher" and "Jon Lester needs to throw to fucking first" are not mutually exclusive, but there's this perception that if you criticize him for the throwing issue you're basically Gordon Wittenmyer bitching that Lester is bad and overpaid.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3931 on: April 29, 2016, 03:44:51 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 29, 2016, 03:30:50 PM

There's a segment of people who act like it's politically incorrect to criticize Lester for these problems, as if they're the result of some childhood trauma or whatever. I don't get it.

I also don't get why teams don't just bunt at him over and over until he proves he can get them out.

DPD, but I think it's another thing like the Starlin Debates where the internet rules that there must be no nuance. "Jon Lester is a great pitcher" and "Jon Lester needs to throw to fucking first" are not mutually exclusive, but there's this perception that if you criticize him for the throwing issue you're basically Gordon Wittenmyer bitching that Lester is bad and overpaid.

Yeah, I think it's because most of the early criticism tended towards "WE PAIT DAT GUY A HUNNERT MILLION DOLLARS AND HE CAN'T TRO TO FIRST?!?".  As though this flaw made him completely useless.

He should be able to throw to first.

Also, regarding Eli's strategy, I always wondered why AL teams didn't do the same thing to Frank Thomas when he was playing first.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3932 on: April 29, 2016, 06:37:02 PM »

I agree. I like Lester. I think he's a fantastic pitcher and extremely valuable. However, the only action he can do well is throw pitches. Any other athletic activity confounds him. As long as it doesn't overshadow his pitching, that's fine, but it's still annoying.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3933 on: April 29, 2016, 10:58:13 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 29, 2016, 06:37:02 PM

I agree. I like Lester. I think he's a fantastic pitcher and extremely valuable. However, the only action he can do well is throw pitches. Any other athletic activity confounds him. As long as it doesn't overshadow his pitching, that's fine, but it's still annoying.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I found out he can't tie his own shoes.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3934 on: April 30, 2016, 07:08:13 PM »
I don't see why he can't just roll the ball over there. What could go wrong?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3935 on: May 01, 2016, 07:40:35 PM »
I almost responded to one of Fork's wingnut friends on Facebook when he libeled the Talmud, but thankfully pulled up at the last minute.

(He was right in one way Fork, the commandments were from the Torah, not the Talmud)
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3936 on: May 01, 2016, 10:12:19 PM »
Quote from: Bort on May 01, 2016, 07:40:35 PM
I almost responded to one of Fork's wingnut friends on Facebook when he libeled the Talmud, but thankfully pulled up at the last minute.

(He was right in one way Fork, the commandments were from the Torah, not the Talmud)

Yeah, and they're ordered in the same way in both. But yeah, this guy used to drive from Antioch to Oak Park because that was the only place he would hear Mass in Latin.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3937 on: May 01, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 01, 2016, 10:12:19 PM

Yeah, and they're ordered in the same way in both. But yeah, this guy used to drive from Antioch to Oak Park because that was the only place he would hear Mass in Latin.

Judging by what he was saying, I would have assumed he owned a copy of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion...
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3938 on: May 02, 2016, 09:28:57 AM »
Quote from: Bort on May 01, 2016, 10:33:00 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 01, 2016, 10:12:19 PM

Judging by what he was saying, I would have assumed he owned a copy of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion...

He's in the Society of Saint Pius X. No joke, when he plays trivia at BW3, he uses SSPX as his handle.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3939 on: May 06, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about liberal, church-going Apex.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3940 on: May 06, 2016, 01:23:09 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 06, 2016, 10:53:46 AM

That's ok. I'm not that much different than I was when we met. Tee Martin rants are still fair game. Steve Garvey pictures are still a no go. I voted for Bruce Rauner and I cuss like a fucking sailor.

What's not to like. 

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3941 on: May 06, 2016, 01:47:48 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 06, 2016, 01:23:09 PM

That's ok. I'm not that much different than I was when we met. Tee Martin rants are still fair game. Steve Garvey pictures are still a no go. I voted for Bruce Rauner and I cuss like a fucking sailor.

What's not to like. 

You never helping me out with my house music at the softball field.
TIME TO POST!

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3942 on: May 06, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 06, 2016, 01:47:48 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on May 06, 2016, 01:23:09 PM

What's not to like. 

You never helping me out with my house music at the softball field.

We had no such music in Buttpuddle, except for what? C+C Music Factory? Snap's "The Power?" So, I really can't help you there.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3943 on: May 06, 2016, 04:21:02 PM »
I'm not paying as much attention to prospects.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3944 on: May 06, 2016, 05:30:57 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 06, 2016, 04:21:02 PM
I'm not paying as much attention to prospects.

PenFact's truth checker says: PANTS ON FIRE
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?