News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 590,933 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #2340 on: March 24, 2015, 11:33:56 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 24, 2015, 11:21:16 AM
Quote from: Eli on March 24, 2015, 11:18:46 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on March 24, 2015, 11:10:05 AM
So you want to see Theo do something stupid just to laugh at his supporters? You're doing a bit right?*

This thread is for non-rational opinions, so I'm safe here.

* Also, yes.

As much as I hate this stupid Eli opinion, he's right. 

It's the beauty of this awesome thread.

And I'm really not coming at it from an entirely sinister angle. I'm legitimately curious what the reaction would be if Theo surprised everyone and said, "We always said this would be a baseball decision and Bryant is obviously too good to not be in our Opening Day lineup."

We'll never find out, of course. But I was just pondering and no one was talking about anything else anyway.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2341 on: March 24, 2015, 11:53:31 AM »
Quote from: Eli on March 24, 2015, 11:33:56 AM
So you want to see Theo do something stupid just to laugh at his supporters? You're doing a bit right?*

* Also, yes.

And I'm really not coming at it from an entirely sinister angle. I'm legitimately curious what the reaction would be if Theo surprised everyone and said, "We always said this would be a baseball decision and Bryant is obviously too good to not be in our Opening Day lineup."

We'll never find out, of course. But I was just pondering and no one was talking about anything else anyway.

Someone really needs this season to begin.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2342 on: March 24, 2015, 01:17:52 PM »
Quote from: Eli on March 24, 2015, 11:33:56 AM

* Also, yes.

It would be more interesting to see what the Theo/Ricketts haters have to say about the Cubs being cheap and not trying to win if Bryant was up opening day. Theo supporters would simply say they think it's not smart, but they would still probably be excited about seeing him earlier. Theo haters would have to find something new to complain about.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2343 on: March 24, 2015, 01:37:37 PM »
Quote from: Eli on March 24, 2015, 11:04:15 AM
... I kind of want Bryant to make the Opening Day roster, partially because it'd be fun to hear the Bleacher Nation/Theo-can-do-no-wrong crowd try to backtrack from their team-control stance.

Only kind of though.

We'd rationalize it with, "They must already have some sort of handshake deal worked out."

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2344 on: March 24, 2015, 01:45:52 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 24, 2015, 01:37:37 PM
... I kind of want Bryant to make the Opening Day roster, partially because it'd be fun to hear the Bleacher Nation/Theo-can-do-no-wrong crowd try to backtrack from their team-control stance.

Only kind of though.

We'd rationalize it with, "They must already have some sort of handshake deal worked out."

I don't think either side would have much interest in such a deal, especially Boras. And if Bryant wanted to do something like that, he should fire Boras.

And I know it's a different ownership group but I don't remember the last big-ticket free agent the Cubs wanted and failed to re-sign. I know there had to be somebody after Maddux, but I don't remember who it would be. Huard? Who was it? And where were you when you got the news? And how many bikes did you upend?

And that was the shitbird Trib Company with dilapidated Wrigley Field and only sporadic fits of relevance sprinkled in. I think Bryant is going to be really fucking good and eventually really fucking expensive and if the Cubs want to keep him they will.

The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2345 on: March 24, 2015, 02:09:52 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 24, 2015, 01:45:52 PM

Only kind of though.

I don't think either side would have much interest in such a deal, especially Boras. And if Bryant wanted to do something like that, he should fire Boras.

And I know it's a different ownership group but I don't remember the last big-ticket free agent the Cubs wanted and failed to re-sign. I know there had to be somebody after Maddux, but I don't remember who it would be. Huard? Who was it? And where were you when you got the news? And how many bikes did you upend?

And that was the shitbird Trib Company with dilapidated Wrigley Field and only sporadic fits of relevance sprinkled in. I think Bryant is going to be really fucking good and eventually really fucking expensive and if the Cubs want to keep him they will.

I seem to remember wanting Carlos Beltran really badly and the Cubs lacked the money to sign him because they didn't offload Sosa in time to beat the Mets offer.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2346 on: March 24, 2015, 02:32:09 PM »
I don't remember the last big-ticket free agent the Cubs wanted and failed to re-sign. I know there had to be somebody after Maddux, but I don't remember who it would be. Huard? Who was it? And where were you when you got the news? And how many bikes did you upend?

A) The Hendry era did a good job of resigning guys before they got to free agency (Lee, Zambrano, Ramirez).

B) They had very few guys they developed that were worth resigning. Korey? No. Z, yes. Soto, no.  That's about it from the Hendry years.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2347 on: March 24, 2015, 03:15:23 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 24, 2015, 02:32:09 PM
B) They had very few guys they developed that were worth resigning. Korey? No. Z, yes. Soto, no.  That's about it from the Hendry years.

Yeah, there isn't much history here. Even less so for Boras clients, who have almost always left their original teams.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2348 on: March 24, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »
Quote from: Eli on March 24, 2015, 03:15:23 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 24, 2015, 02:32:09 PM

Yeah, there isn't much history here. Even less so for Boras clients, who have almost always left their original teams.

And, we're full circle.

/scene.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2349 on: March 24, 2015, 06:35:23 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 24, 2015, 02:09:52 PM

Only kind of though.

I seem to remember wanting Carlos Beltran really badly and the Cubs lacked the money to sign him because they didn't offload Sosa in time to beat the Mets offer.

Anibal Sanchez?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2350 on: March 24, 2015, 08:55:01 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on March 24, 2015, 06:35:23 PM
Quote from: SKO on March 24, 2015, 02:09:52 PM

Only kind of though.

Anibal Sanchez?

I thought we were talking about keeping their own free agents. Because if it's free agents generally, that's a long list. Even just international free agents alone: Tanaka, Darvish, Cespedes just to start. How many more tears, Theo?

And Rafael Furcal was a big Hendry miss.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2351 on: March 25, 2015, 08:18:35 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 24, 2015, 08:55:01 PM
And Rafael Furcal was a big Hendry miss.

So was Soriano.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2352 on: March 25, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2353 on: March 25, 2015, 08:58:35 AM »
Yes. I was only talking about re-signing their own players.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2354 on: March 25, 2015, 09:25:47 AM »