News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 591,138 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #2880 on: July 24, 2015, 08:24:42 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 24, 2015, 08:15:20 PM
I was thisclose to starting up a Jason Motte Spooge thread after Wednesday's game.

I'm actually glad he blew it. I couldn't live in such a world.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2881 on: July 26, 2015, 03:53:15 PM »
I'm okay if the Cubs don't make a deal.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2882 on: July 26, 2015, 05:01:10 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 26, 2015, 03:53:15 PM

I'd be OK if they "sold." Not sure what saleable pieces they have... maybe Coghlan, Denorfia, Fowler, Hammel, Motte, Rondon, James Russell. This team's not ready.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2883 on: July 26, 2015, 05:54:04 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 26, 2015, 05:01:10 PM

I'd be OK if they "sold." Not sure what saleable pieces they have... maybe Coghlan, Denorfia, Fowler, Hammel, Motte, Rondon, James Russell. This team's not ready.

That didn't take long.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2884 on: July 26, 2015, 05:58:54 PM »

I'd be okay with sending certain guys down to get back on track at the plate. Russell, his home run notwithstanding, is at the top of the list. I can't see how this is helping him. The Rizzo Plan, HIS struggles notwithstanding, might help him.

Once Baez is ready I'd swap him and Russell.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2885 on: July 26, 2015, 06:23:17 PM »
This team's not ready.

Fuck this bullshit.  This is the same team that it was a month ago.  They're still as good a bet to make the playoffs as anyone.  Once in, they can win the playoff game and win a series.

I think they can make a deal and bring in a reinforcement.  Now that The Royals got their pitcher, the price of the supply is sure to go down enough that it may not take much to get someone who can start a playoff game; someone who is better than Hammel, even if he's obviously been great.  It's weird that everyone has been in a mid-summer slump but all these hitters are better than that.

If The Cubs had gone through this stretch in May and were still this close to the playoffs, how would you feel?

It ain't over and they are fucking ready.  I'd expect this kind of talk from SKO or, even, Slaky.  But from you, TJ?  Not you!  Get your shit together.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2886 on: July 26, 2015, 07:05:40 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 26, 2015, 06:23:17 PM
This team's not ready.

Fuck this bullshit.  This is the same team that it was a month ago.  They're still as good a bet to make the playoffs as anyone.  Once in, they can win the playoff game and win a series.

I think they can make a deal and bring in a reinforcement.  Now that The Royals got their pitcher, the price of the supply is sure to go down enough that it may not take much to get someone who can start a playoff game; someone who is better than Hammel, even if he's obviously been great.  It's weird that everyone has been in a mid-summer slump but all these hitters are better than that.

If The Cubs had gone through this stretch in May and were still this close to the playoffs, how would you feel?

It ain't over and they are fucking ready.  I'd expect this kind of talk from SKO or, even, Slaky.  But from you, TJ?  Not you!  Get your shit together.

tha

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2887 on: July 26, 2015, 07:23:46 PM »
This team's not ready.

Oh just calm the fuck down, Panama Red. Fact is, the Cubs *did* go through this stretch in May (remember all the fuckhead's losing their shit during the STL series?) and yes they survived it.  But survival ain't what this is about anymore.  The Cubs have ZERO chance of winning the division, which means their best chance is the coinflip game.  So would you be willing to deal Baez, or Soler, or Russell, or even Torres to get a pitcher, addressing an issue that's not even directly the cause of their problems and who might not ever pitch beyond said coinflip game?  And then who walks after the season?  I mean I love Arrieta as much as the next guy but he can be out-dueled, as we saw yesterday (and which can happen with this offense.  See: Lester's start Friday)

I am not giving up on this team.  Quite the opposite in fact.  Truth is, I fucking LOVE this team, which is part of the reason I'm disinclined to deal someone now in a knee-jerk  move, scrapping the multi-year plan that they've crafted to all of a sudden make an impulsive run. And then if they fall short?  Fuck that, let's see how this shit plays out with what they got, knowing that they're all coming back next year with this season under their belt. 

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2888 on: July 26, 2015, 07:41:47 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 26, 2015, 07:23:46 PM
This team's not ready.

Oh just calm the fuck down, Panama Red. Fact is, the Cubs *did* go through this stretch in May (remember all the fuckhead's losing their shit during the STL series?) and yes they survived it.  But survival ain't what this is about anymore.  The Cubs have ZERO chance of winning the division, which means their best chance is the coinflip game.  So would you be willing to deal Baez, or Soler, or Russell, or even Torres to get a pitcher, addressing an issue that's not even directly the cause of their problems and who might not ever pitch beyond said coinflip game?  And then who walks after the season?  I mean I love Arrieta as much as the next guy but he can be out-dueled, as we saw yesterday (and which can happen with this offense.  See: Lester's start Friday)

I am not giving up on this team.  Quite the opposite in fact.  Truth is, I fucking LOVE this team, which is part of the reason I'm disinclined to deal someone now in a knee-jerk  move, scrapping the multi-year plan that they've crafted to all of a sudden make an impulsive run. And then if they fall short?  Fuck that, let's see how this shit plays out with what they got, knowing that they're all coming back next year with this season under their belt. 

"I mean, I love Arrieta as much as the next guy, but he can be out-dueled by a guy who pitched a 13K No-hitter. Are we sure we can trust him in a must win game?"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2889 on: July 26, 2015, 08:10:12 PM »
I still want them to make a deadline deal, just for someone like Hamels or Tyson Ross who is under control and likely to contribute next year.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2890 on: July 26, 2015, 08:10:40 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 26, 2015, 07:23:46 PM
This team's not ready.

Quote from: Mr Poopy Pants
So would you be willing to deal Baez, or Soler, or Russell, or even Torres

Depends. No. No. Depends.

I'm not arguing that there ought to be an impulsive move.  What I'm saying is that the demand for available starters seems to lag behind the supply.  That may make this a buyer's market although no one can really be sure.  I think there's a good chance that Jepstink has always had a plan about what they would be willing to give up for a rental and/or for a controllable pitcher.

I think it's pretty silly to also let this opportunity pass The Cubs by.  They are just as likely to beat The Pirates in the coinflip game as they are to lose it.  I'd be happy for them to trade a prospect for a rental pitcher, if it means they actually get the chance to win that game.  I just want that pitcher to be better than Hammel, so it eliminates the Leakes of the world.

Would McKinney and Torres be enough to get Ross and Upton?  Wouldn't it be nice to find out?  Who else is going to offer better?  Why the hell am I asking you?

And, the fact that they went through this in May and are still in this position should tell us that they're good and it would be a waste of a pretty good year to just fold up now, wouldn't it?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2891 on: July 26, 2015, 08:20:45 PM »
I'd be OK if they "sold."

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2892 on: July 26, 2015, 08:45:02 PM »
But really, I don't even know what the Cubs would sell for at this point. There are redundancies and contingencies at every level of the minor leagues and they're going to start losing some fairly talented guys to Rule 5 for absolutely nothing starting this year. They just don't need any more prospects -- there's literally no room for them.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2893 on: July 26, 2015, 09:28:07 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 26, 2015, 08:45:02 PM
But really, I don't even know what the Cubs would sell for at this point. There are redundancies and contingencies at every level of the minor leagues and they're going to start losing some fairly talented guys to Rule 5 for absolutely nothing starting this year. They just don't need any more prospects -- there's literally no room for them.

Now this point I get, and agree with.  They're bumping up against the 40 man and something'll have to give so I guess from that perspective a deal is reasonable.

I don't even know what to think to be honest.  It's been a largely good season and it's nice to see a plan come together.  They kind of remind me of the '07-'08 Blackhawks--good young nucleus that leads them just short of the postseason.  And I know that team made some deals down the stretch--Ruutu for Ladd & Vandermeer for Eager--Ladd & Eager both being players who were *eventually* able to help them hoist their first Cup, so maybe that's where I'm at--make a deal if it's a good one but not *necessarily* with the idea of just going for broke this season, but with an eye on the future.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2894 on: July 27, 2015, 08:38:30 AM »
...I don't think this sweep by the Phillies is the end of the world for this season. It's still gonna hai
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"