News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 590,938 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #2970 on: September 01, 2015, 08:57:42 AM »
... Sports needs to be better about not assuming women are dumb about sports and that they only like pink........................

HOWEVER, it's people like coworkers that started dating a Cardinals fan only 2 weeks ago after she couldn't give a shit about sports before then and now think that entitles them to talk shit to a coworker who isn't interested in shit talking at all, that give women who actually watch and enjoy sports a bad name.

I think Eli has mentioned finding frustrations in this, but I actually detest shit talking in sports anyway. Maybe it's because I can't stand the factual errors in it all. I'm not sure. Like, if someone says something like "The Cubs suck" or "The Cubs never win" all I think is "well, at this moment, they're like the 4th best team in the league" or "Well, they were the second team to 10,000 wins and have a team winning record overall" (there are reasons why for those but still) There's little room for facts in shit talking and I hate it.

GO SPORTZ

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2971 on: September 01, 2015, 10:08:33 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 01, 2015, 08:57:42 AM
... Sports needs to be better about not assuming women are dumb about sports and that they only like pink........................

HOWEVER, it's people like coworkers that started dating a Cardinals fan only 2 weeks ago after she couldn't give a shit about sports before then and now think that entitles them to talk shit to a coworker who isn't interested in shit talking at all, that give women who actually watch and enjoy sports a bad name.

I think Eli has mentioned finding frustrations in this, but I actually detest shit talking in sports anyway. Maybe it's because I can't stand the factual errors in it all. I'm not sure. Like, if someone says something like "The Cubs suck" or "The Cubs never win" all I think is "well, at this moment, they're like the 4th best team in the league" or "Well, they were the second team to 10,000 wins and have a team winning record overall" (there are reasons why for those but still) There's little room for facts in shit talking and I hate it.

GO SPORTZ

I don't know that this is just a women thing. I have met plenty of guys that have jumped on the Packer/Cowboys/White Sox/Yankees/Cardinals bandwagons when those teams are good but never expressed an interest before. I just love standing on a train platform at 5:00 in the morning on a December Monday next to some clown wearing a Packers hat ready to give me shit about the dismantling the Bears received the day before. He knows I'm a bears fan because we stand next to each other every morning but he has never once expressed an interest in Green Bay before that.

Brand new Cardinals fans are even worse. They generally don't know anything about baseball itself much less anything about the Cubs and Cardinals histories. Idiots.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2972 on: September 01, 2015, 10:24:43 AM »
Quote from: flannj on September 01, 2015, 10:08:33 AM

GO SPORTZ

I don't know that this is just a women thing. I have met plenty of guys that have jumped on the Packer/Cowboys/White Sox/Yankees/Cardinals bandwagons when those teams are good but never expressed an interest before. I just love standing on a train platform at 5:00 in the morning on a December Monday next to some clown wearing a Packers hat ready to give me shit about the dismantling the Bears received the day before. He knows I'm a bears fan because we stand next to each other every morning but he has never once expressed an interest in Green Bay before that.

Brand new Cardinals fans are even worse. They generally don't know anything about baseball itself much less anything about the Cubs and Cardinals histories. Idiots.

As a bandwagon jumper par excellence, I think as long as you're very educated about the sport you're following, you can talk as much shit as you want. Someone who is a fan of a team for 30 years but knows fuckall about the game is more annoying than the person with extreme interest in studying the nuances and history but doesn't want to settle on a pile of laundry.

That's my three cents!
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2973 on: September 01, 2015, 01:04:36 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 01, 2015, 10:24:43 AM
Quote from: flannj on September 01, 2015, 10:08:33 AM

GO SPORTZ

As a bandwagon jumper par excellence, I think as long as you're very educated about the sport you're following, you can talk as much shit as you want. Someone who is a fan of a team for 30 years but knows fuckall about the game is more annoying than the person with extreme interest in studying the nuances and history but doesn't want to settle on a pile of laundry.

That's my three cents!
I resent that.  For the record it is over 70 years.  And leave my tidy whities out of the discussion.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2974 on: September 01, 2015, 01:09:40 PM »
By the way, I forget her name, but the woman who did the MLB broadcast Sunday night (the no-hitter) was absolutely outstanding.  I think that I heard that she was a professional softball player.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2975 on: September 01, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 01, 2015, 01:09:40 PM
By the way, I forget her name, but the woman who did the MLB broadcast Sunday night (the no-hitter) was absolutely outstanding.  I think that I heard that she was a professional softball player.

She was great on her own merits and especially great when compared to what ESPN normally trots out as "analysis."

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2976 on: September 01, 2015, 01:43:40 PM »
Quote from: Eli on September 01, 2015, 01:12:18 PM

She was great on her own merits and especially great when compared to what ESPN normally trots out as "analysis."

The step by step breakdown of Addison Russell's swing and load and stuff was amazing.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2977 on: September 01, 2015, 01:46:55 PM »

Jessica Mendoza was great. John Kruk is painfully bad at analyzing hitting compared to the fact that he was pretty decent at actual hitting. If she got a full-time gig doing MLB (She's been working on ESPNW, which I'd completely forgotten was still a thing) I might actually watch more ESPN games.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2978 on: September 01, 2015, 02:00:26 PM »

You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2979 on: September 01, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
Mendoza also did the College World Series and was outstanding there, too.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2980 on: September 01, 2015, 02:03:30 PM »
Although it does kind of suck to be deprived of a full Vin Scully (and even Len Kasper for that matter) call of Jake's no-no.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2981 on: September 01, 2015, 02:27:08 PM »
... I think Vin Scully has lost a step, and he should probably knock it on the head and leave us all wanting more.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2982 on: September 01, 2015, 02:29:18 PM »
I find it funny that JennPex hated Jessica Mendoza's commentary. She complained about it all game long. I was ambivalent.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2983 on: September 01, 2015, 02:41:55 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 01, 2015, 02:29:18 PM
I find it funny that JennPex hated Jessica Mendoza's commentary. She complained about it all game long. I was ambivalent.

Woman on woman crime. Where's the outrage there?!?!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2984 on: September 01, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 01, 2015, 02:27:08 PM
... I think Vin Scully has lost a step, and he should probably knock it on the head and leave us all wanting more.

I know it's poor form to drag out discussions in a confession thread, but I'll only say that no shit he's lost a step; I hardly think anyone would contest that.

However, he still calls a helluva game.  He was on TV Saturday and called out Coghlan's horrible route on the ball that sailed over his head.  Also, the previous night, when Matt Szczur doubled off of Kershaw, he immediately called, "Render unto Szczur a stand-up double."  Corny, sure, but the fact that he was all over it on the spot was impressive.  Yes he's old as fuck and has slowed down but he's hardly the bumbling, confused, brain-dead pile of goo that Harry Caray was at the end.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs