News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 591,266 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #2985 on: September 01, 2015, 03:20:26 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 01, 2015, 02:50:01 PM
Quote from: Tonker on September 01, 2015, 02:27:08 PM
... I think Vin Scully has lost a step, and he should probably knock it on the head and leave us all wanting more.

I know it's poor form to drag out discussions in a confession thread, but I'll only say that no shit he's lost a step; I hardly think anyone would contest that.

However, he still calls a helluva game.  He was on TV Saturday and called out Coghlan's horrible route on the ball that sailed over his head.  Also, the previous night, when Matt Szczur doubled off of Kershaw, he immediately called, "Render unto Szczur a stand-up double."  Corny, sure, but the fact that he was all over it on the spot was impressive.  Yes he's old as fuck and has slowed down but he's hardly the bumbling, confused, brain-dead pile of goo that Harry Caray was at the end.

I still thought it was a highly enjoyable listen.  He should get to do it as long as he wants; it's not like he's Hawk up there spouting racist and stupid shit.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2986 on: September 01, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »
... I think Vin Scully has lost a step, and he should probably knock it on the head and leave us all wanting more.

I know it's poor form to drag out discussions in a confession thread, but I'll only say that no shit he's lost a step; I hardly think anyone would contest that.

However, he still calls a helluva game.  He was on TV Saturday and called out Coghlan's horrible route on the ball that sailed over his head.  Also, the previous night, when Matt Szczur doubled off of Kershaw, he immediately called, "Render unto Szczur a stand-up double."  Corny, sure, but the fact that he was all over it on the spot was impressive.  Yes he's old as fuck and has slowed down but he's hardly the bumbling, confused, brain-dead pile of goo that Harry Caray was at the end.

He seemed to think it was his job to inform us every inning anew that:

1. Kyle Schwarber is built like a linebacker
2. Jon Lester has a remarkable record in the post-season
3. Addison Russell is a good fielder
4. Joe Maddon is a jolly good egg

Every.  Inning.  I agree, it's still fun to listen to him and he's not doing any harm yet, but if he carries on like this for much longer he's in danger of damaging his legacy, and that would be a shame.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2987 on: September 01, 2015, 03:39:34 PM »
...pretty psyched to see the lineup tonight

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2988 on: September 01, 2015, 03:51:04 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 01, 2015, 03:39:34 PM

Javy 7th

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2989 on: September 01, 2015, 03:52:37 PM »

For those of you (like me) who hadn't seen it:

1. Dexter Fowler CF
2. Kyle Schwarber LF
3. Chris Coghlan RF
4. Anthony Rizzo 1B
5. Kris Bryant 3B
6. Miguel Montero C
7. Javier Baez 2B
8. Dan Haren P
9. Addison Russell SS

That's a lot of bat.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2990 on: September 01, 2015, 03:56:38 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 01, 2015, 03:52:37 PM

1. Dexter Fowler CF
2. Kyle Schwarber LF
3. Chris Coghlan RF
4. Anthony Rizzo 1B
5. Kris Bryant 3B
6. Miguel Montero C
7. Javier Baez 2B
8. Dan Haren P
9. Addison Russell SS

That's a lot of bat.

Wind blowing out. Please Javy - focus on making contact and that thing will fly out of here.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2991 on: September 01, 2015, 04:21:18 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 01, 2015, 03:52:37 PM

1. Dexter Fowler CF
2. Kyle Schwarber LF
3. Chris Coghlan RF
4. Anthony Rizzo 1B
5. Kris Bryant 3B
6. Miguel Montero C
7. Javier Baez 2B
8. Dan Haren P
9. Addison Russell SS

That's a lot of bat.

So they get no-hit, right?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2992 on: September 01, 2015, 04:34:29 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 01, 2015, 03:27:08 PM

Every.  Inning.  I agree, it's still fun to listen to him and he's not doing any harm yet, but if he carries on like this for much longer he's in danger of damaging his legacy, and that would be a shame.
He is 87.  That caused even me to wince when I read that.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2993 on: September 01, 2015, 04:40:19 PM »

Intrepid Reader: CubsFaninHydePark
Except when he's only moderately good, or bad.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2994 on: September 01, 2015, 04:52:49 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 01, 2015, 01:09:40 PM
By the way, I forget her name, but the woman who did the MLB broadcast Sunday night (the no-hitter) was absolutely outstanding.  I think that I heard that she was a professional softball player.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/should-espn-permanently-replace-curt-schilling-with-jessica-mendoza-on-sunday-night-baseball.html
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2995 on: September 01, 2015, 05:07:03 PM »

Fuck, Tonk. Listening to Vin Scully is like listening to your grandma.

You visit them a couple of times a year and they make you pot roast and mashed potatoes and a big boat of gravy to slather over all of it. And they give you $5 at Christmas or just whenever because they love you and they brought the people that brought you in to the world in to the world. And it's awesome because -- fuck yeah -- pot roast and mashed potatoes and gravy.

And yeah. Those few times you visit, they do tell you the same story about the time they were worried sick when as a youngster you threw a rock in the general direction of some sheep which caused a small stampede which drew the ire of the neighbors and attention of the town sheriff but nobody could find you because you were walking halfway to Yankton on the train tracks and came back with a backpack full of rusty old bolts and stakes.

So, instead of complaining about them telling the same story over and over, you smile and give your grandma a hug, apologize for making her worry so much, and play some cards with her because she's not going to be around forever.

You jerk.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2996 on: September 01, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on September 01, 2015, 05:07:03 PM

Fuck, Tonk. Listening to Vin Scully is like listening to your grandma.

You visit them a couple of times a year and they make you pot roast and mashed potatoes and a big boat of gravy to slather over all of it. And they give you $5 at Christmas or just whenever because they love you and they brought the people that brought you in to the world in to the world. And it's awesome because -- fuck yeah -- pot roast and mashed potatoes and gravy.

And yeah. Those few times you visit, they do tell you the same story about the time they were worried sick when as a youngster you threw a rock in the general direction of some sheep which caused a small stampede which drew the ire of the neighbors and attention of the town sheriff but nobody could find you because you were walking halfway to Yankton on the train tracks and came back with a backpack full of rusty old bolts and stakes.

So, instead of complaining about them telling the same story over and over, you smile and give your grandma a hug, apologize for making her worry so much, and play some cards with her because she's not going to be around forever.

You jerk.

Except, your Grandma wasn't eyewitness to a large percentage of historic moments, such as approximately 70 percent of Jackie Robinson's career, Bobby Thomson's shot heard round the world, the 1955 World Series, Don Larsen's perfect Game in 1956, MLB's first game in California, the 1962 3 game playoff with the Giants, the 1963 World Series, Sandy Koufax's no-hitters and perfect game, Don Drysdale's scoreless streak, Hank Aaron's 755th Home Run, Charlie O's last World Series (and the first all-California series), Reggie Jackson's 3 HR on 3 pitches, just about every World Series and All-Star Game from the mid-70s to 1997, FernandoMania, the 21-inning Cubs loss to the Dodgers in 1982 in which Jody Davis quite clearly tagged Steve Sax but Eric Gregg ruled him safe infuriating 7 year old T.J., the 1985 NLCS, the 1986 World Series, Orel Hershiser's heroics in 1988, the NLCS in 1989 that should not be mentioned, Barry Bonds' 71st homer, Ryan Dempster shitting the bed in 2008, so on and so on...

Keith Olbermann and I don't agree on much, but we do agree Scully connects multiple eras together. Wrap your head around this: Scully also broadcast Mickey Mantle's New York (exhibition game) debut, as well as Bryce Harper's debut. If not for ESPN "stealing" Sunday Night's game, he'd have called Jake Arrieta's no hitter along with approximately 2 dozen others he has called.

He also broadcast a ton of football games, including the 1981 NFC Championship game in San Francisco. It is popularly known as the last game Ditka served as an assistant coach, but Joe Montana and Dwight Clark also known for doing something. Vin's voice is heard calling that.
He also called Masters won by Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Tom Watson (twice), Fuzzy Zoeller, Seve Ballesteros and Craig Stadler. He was Jim Nantz before Jim Nantz.

He unquestionably improved every one of these events, never made it about himself, and continues to make pot roast and potatoes almost 100 nights a year.

And yes, Kyle Schwarber is built like a linebacker.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2997 on: September 01, 2015, 05:38:29 PM »
Also, the Cubs first official Night Game 8/9/88.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2998 on: September 01, 2015, 07:57:28 PM »
You failed to mention Kirk Gison's lead-changing walk-off HR of Dennis Eckersley in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2999 on: September 01, 2015, 08:11:34 PM »
Quote from: Eli on September 01, 2015, 01:12:18 PM
Quote from: CBStew on September 01, 2015, 01:09:40 PM
By the way, I forget her name, but the woman who did the MLB broadcast Sunday night (the no-hitter) was absolutely outstanding.  I think that I heard that she was a professional softball player.

She was great on her own merits and especially great when compared to what ESPN normally trots out as "analysis."

What are her thoughts on evolution?