News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ben Wilson: 25 Years Dead  ( 4,039 )

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Ben Wilson: 25 Years Dead
« on: November 15, 2009, 11:02:24 AM »
Anyone over 35 probably remembers Ben Wilson--at the time, the #1 high school basketball player in the country--being shot and killed.  For no other reason other than my Cubs' interest being an obsessive pathology, I also recall Cub prospect Reggie Patterson (who would go on to serve up Pete Rose's 4,191st hit--tying him with Ty Cobb) was also shot around the same timet--but survived, obviously--during a robbery attempt while playing winter ball in South America, but I digress.

Anyway, Tribune beat reporter KC Johnson apparently rode the bench for the Evanston team in 1984 that lost to Simeon in the IHSA championship game that previous Spring--what turned out to be Wilson's last game--and thus has some connections to people from that time who are able to tell a pretty good--and still sad--story.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ben Wilson: 25 Years Dead
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 01:25:12 PM »
That's a powerful close.

In Judaism, the tradition when visiting a loved one is to leave a rock on the grave.  This symbolizes that there is more to the person's memory now, after the visit, than before the visit.  In other words, you have added to their memory.  (If you've ever seen the end of Schindler's List and didn't get it, you now understand).

That's a nice rock KC laid on Ben.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ben Wilson: 25 Years Dead
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 09:29:49 AM »

That's how you write a fucking story. There seemed to be a bit of dust blowing around in here when I read the end of it.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16