Desipio Message Board
April 29, 2016, 12:52:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Oct 12 - Oral History: Cubs hire Theo  http://www.desipio.com/?p=3639

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dijon mustards?  (Read 584 times)
CBStew
Most people my age are dead.
Johnny Evers Fan Club

View Profile WWW
« on: December 25, 2015, 01:24:16 PM »

I posted a recollection in the General Discussion thread about a wonderful Dijon mustard that was served in the 1940's at a concession stand on a beach on Lake Michigan's shore.  I remember the taste very well and have been trying to find a mustard that comes close for decades.  No luck.  Are there any suggestions?  It had a salty after taste and there were no incongruous herb flavors. 

If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)
Canadouche
Fukakke Fan Club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 02:24:38 PM »

I posted a recollection in the General Discussion thread about a wonderful Dijon mustard that was served in the 1940's at a concession stand on a beach on Lake Michigan's shore.  I remember the taste very well and have been trying to find a mustard that comes close for decades.  No luck.  Are there any suggestions?  It had a salty after taste and there were no incongruous herb flavors. 

Not sure, but a friend of mine makes a variety of mustards for his deli. Maybe one of his mustards is close to what you're looking for.

"Canada is a country that almost every single resident would flee if they could.  No Canadian with an IQ over 80 wants to live in Canada." - Tucker Carlson
CT III
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Killer of men.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:31:34 PM »

I love you Stew, so I ask your forgiveness in advance but that post totally reminded me of this:

The year was 1968. We were on recon in a steaming Mekong delta. An overheated private removed his flack jacket, revealing a T-shirt with an ironed-on sporting the MAD slogan "Up with Mini-skirts!". Well, we all had a good laugh, even though I didn't quite understand it. But our momentary lapse of concentration allowed "Charlie" to get the drop on us. I spent the next three years in a POW camp, forced to subsist on a thin stew made of fish, vegetables, prawns, coconut milk, and four kinds of rice. I came close to madness trying to find it here in the States, but they just can't get the spices right!
PANK!
Johnny Evers Fan Club

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 09:32:03 AM »

I love you Stew, so I ask your forgiveness in advance but that post totally reminded me of this:

The year was 1968. We were on recon in a steaming Mekong delta. An overheated private removed his flack jacket, revealing a T-shirt with an ironed-on sporting the MAD slogan "Up with Mini-skirts!". Well, we all had a good laugh, even though I didn't quite understand it. But our momentary lapse of concentration allowed "Charlie" to get the drop on us. I spent the next three years in a POW camp, forced to subsist on a thin stew made of fish, vegetables, prawns, coconut milk, and four kinds of rice. I came close to madness trying to find it here in the States, but they just can't get the spices right!

Well he has been going with the Abe Simpson avatar for quite a while so I doubt Stew'd take offense.

So I think we've reached the point where MLB teams have hired every last one of the big/innovative brains that the old BP produced, and now we're left with a bunch of navel-gazing 25 year old chuckleheads.

--some dead guy
Wheezer
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Non Omnis Moriar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 12:38:48 AM »

Given the vagueness of the description of the Object of Affection but the proximity to the Great Lakes, it might be time to contact Mount Horeb.

In other mustard news, I noticed the other night that the post-hippie produce market down the street is selling this. The original idea was that their books were going to be open, hence the name, but only part of their site is currently working.

Leaving that premise aside as a core plank in a business platform, it's a fantastic store to have around, but I do wonder about how much thought really goes into choosing their inventory of dry goods. (For a long time, despite stocking Maesri curry pastes, they only had sour yellow curry and could not be persuaded that kaeng kari isn't the same thing. Somebody seems to have gotten through to them recently, though. The unfolding of their recent acquisition of a liquor license isn't dissimilar.)

"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!
CBStew
Most people my age are dead.
Johnny Evers Fan Club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 12:38:02 PM »

Given the vagueness of the description of the Object of Affection but the proximity to the Great Lakes, it might be time to contact Mount Horeb.

In other mustard news, I noticed the other night that the post-hippie produce market down the street is selling this. The original idea was that their books were going to be open, hence the name, but only part of their site is currently working.

Leaving that premise aside as a core plank in a business platform, it's a fantastic store to have around, but I do wonder about how much thought really goes into choosing their inventory of dry goods. (For a long time, despite stocking Maesri curry pastes, they only had sour yellow curry and could not be persuaded that kaeng kari isn't the same thing. Somebody seems to have gotten through to them recently, though. The unfolding of their recent acquisition of a liquor license isn't dissimilar.)
That site is amazing, assuming that you like mustard.

If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)
ChuckD
Johnny Evers Fan Club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 12:54:33 PM »

FYI, the Mustard Museum no longer resides in Mount Horeb. Or maybe that's your point.
Wheezer
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Non Omnis Moriar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 02:38:20 AM »

FYI, the Mustard Museum no longer resides in Mount Horeb. Or maybe that's your point.

No, I didn't know that they had moved. I ascribe this knowledge gap to general indifference.

"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: