News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Sandwiches  ( 35,959 )

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Sandwiches
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2010, 05:07:03 PM »
Quote from: Fork on November 10, 2010, 01:35:45 PM
Quote from: flannj on November 10, 2010, 10:50:57 AM
Just polished off a Cuban sandwich from here.
Fucking outstanding, this place has never disappointed.

I suggest all of you Loop drones make the effort.

they serve breakfast, but don't have Tortilla on the menu?

*looks down, shakes head*

True, but the guava pastries looked pretty good.  I admit to a similar feeling re the lack of empanadas and rice pudding, however.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on November 10, 2010, 05:07:03 PM

True, but the guava pastries looked pretty good.  I admit to a similar feeling re the lack of empanadas and rice pudding, however.

I can't fault a restaurant that doesn't have them when it advertises itself as serving "coffee, salads, and pressed sandwiches".

As much as I would start drooling over some perfect empanadas as a starter for lunch or a Cuban tortilla when I feel like a hearty breakfast.

Rice pudding?
I try but I just can't do it but that's my loss.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2010, 06:25:27 PM »
Quote from: flannj on November 10, 2010, 05:44:29 PM

True, but the guava pastries looked pretty good.  I admit to a similar feeling re the lack of empanadas and rice pudding, however.

I can't fault a restaurant that doesn't have them when it advertises itself as serving "coffee, salads, and pressed sandwiches".

As much as I would start drooling over some perfect empanadas as a starter for lunch or a Cuban tortilla when I feel like a hearty breakfast.

Rice pudding?

I'm not faulting them at all, its just going to mean that I can only go 2-3 times a week instead of 4.  In other words, not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2010, 08:33:28 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on November 10, 2010, 06:25:27 PM

Rice pudding?

I'm not faulting them at all, its just going to mean that I can only go 2-3 times a week instead of 4.  In other words, not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck.

So who's up for an East / South Loop DesipioShout Lunch?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2010, 09:23:37 PM »
Quote from: flannj on November 10, 2010, 08:33:28 PM

Rice pudding?

I might be able to make one of those.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2010, 11:55:40 PM »
Sounds good to me

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2010, 06:25:51 AM »
Quote from: CT III on November 10, 2010, 09:23:37 PM

Rice pudding?

Next week?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2010, 08:48:35 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 11, 2010, 06:25:51 AM
Quote from: CT III on November 10, 2010, 09:23:37 PM

Rice pudding?

Next week?

I may be down for that, if it's a day I can finagle a little extra travel time.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2010, 03:12:13 PM »
OK...one more.  I stopped at Chompie's for lunch on my way to the airport.  Yeah, yeah...that fat fuck from Man vs Food was there and couldn't finish a couple of little sliders in time or some such shit.  But, they make their own pastrami and corned beef, so I figured what the fuck.

I sat down and was greeted by some complimentary pickles.  I think they must make their own.  They gave me both the dull green and the bright green ones, whatever flavors those are.  I know not knowing probably means I have to give back my Jew-card or something, but whatever.  The pickles were delicious.

I ordered an Aaron's special, which is pastrami and corn beef with Swiss (I subbed jalepeno jack for the Swiss) and thousand island dressing on an onion roll.  The roll was really good, as was the dressing and whatever else was on the sandwich for toppings (it tasted like cole slaw, but could have just been some sliced cabbage that had combined itself with some of the dressing).  I had some of the roll left with just the dressing and toppings left after the meat was eaten and it was really good.

The meat.  Well...maybe I'm just biased towards Chicago, but the stuff at Perry's is way better.  This stuff wasn't bad, it just didn't have the same flavor and was a bit fattier than the stuff I'm used to.  I've never been to a New York City deli in New York, but I can't imagine this stuff even comes close.  I've heard theories that it may have something to do with the New York water that the meat is brined in, so perhaps that's difference.  The further west you go, the worse the brining water.  I dunno.

Overall, not too bad.  It's probably the only restaurant in that Godforsaken place where one could get a decent sandwich, so if you're ever in Tempe, it's worth checking out.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2010, 03:16:49 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 12, 2010, 03:12:13 PM
 I've never been to a New York City deli in New York

Heh.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2010, 03:18:20 PM »
The meat.  Well...maybe I'm just biased towards Chicago, but the stuff at Perry's is way better.  This stuff wasn't bad, it just didn't have the same flavor and was a bit fattier than the stuff I'm used to.  I've never been to a New York City deli in New York, but I can't imagine this stuff even comes close.  I've heard theories that it may have something to do with the New York water that the meat is brined in, so perhaps that's difference.  The further west you go, the worse the brining water.  I dunno.

The water in Phoenix is 65% urine, so that could have affected the chemistry of the brining process.  Too much acid for the meat to properly diffuse.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »
Quote from: Fork on November 12, 2010, 03:16:49 PM

Heh.

I started typing and then went on tilt...I meant, a New York deli in New York City...as opposed to a New York deli in Tempe, for example.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 12, 2010, 03:19:19 PM
Quote from: Fork on November 12, 2010, 03:16:49 PM

Heh.

I started typing and then went on tilt...I meant, a New York deli in New York City...as opposed to a New York deli in Tempe, for example.
The corned beef at Kaufmann's in skokie is as good as any in NYC. Even at the NYC delis they have there.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2011, 12:09:59 PM »

For any of you Loop dwelling Papists that haven't had lunch yet today the Codfish Sandwich from The Berghoff is a winner.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2011, 12:55:38 PM »
Bump.

McRib is back.
TIME TO POST!