News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Men of a Certain Age  ( 3,818 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Men of a Certain Age
« on: December 08, 2009, 01:58:13 PM »
I want to give this one my endorsement.  It is about mid-life crisis.  At one point I felt dubious about watching it to the end.  There is a lot of self pity going on.  But the three men are very good actors, and the writing is intelligent enough to make its points without going overboard
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Men of a Certain Age
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 02:05:12 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 08, 2009, 01:58:13 PM
I want to give this one my endorsement.  It is about mid-life crisis.  At one point I felt dubious about watching it to the end.  There is a lot of self pity going on.  But the three men are very good actors, and the writing is intelligent enough to make its points without going overboard

I actually put it on my DVR. I'll probably watch it tonight or tomorrow. It looks like it'll be decent.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 02:07:30 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on December 08, 2009, 02:05:12 PM
Quote from: CBStew on December 08, 2009, 01:58:13 PM

I actually put it on my DVR. I'll probably watch it tonight or tomorrow. It looks like it'll be decent.

Thanks, IAN...looking forward to your review.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 01:47:07 PM »

Andre Braugher has bigger tits than Megan Fox.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 02:04:06 PM »
This show makes me want to get a prostate exam. For my health.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
Was anyone else surprised when Romano's character won a $25,000 bet?  I was hoping that he would lose and start to go to Gambler's Anonymous for real.  And Bakula's character is doing something positive in the film industry.  Braugher quit his father's shop and found a new job where he is respected?  They are obviously winding this one down and not expecting a renewal.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 02:55:30 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 17, 2010, 02:43:00 PM
Was anyone else surprised when Romano's character won a $25,000 bet?  I was hoping that he would lose and start to go to Gambler's Anonymous for real.  And Bakula's character is doing something positive in the film industry.  Braugher quit his father's shop and found a new job where he is respected?  They are obviously winding this one down and not expecting a renewal.

I was surprised to find out that people actually watch this show.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 07:10:07 PM »
If there is such a thing as an intelligent tv show, this is in the running.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/02/15/DD281C11D8.DTL

"The most surprising series on television right now is - and continues to be - "Men of a Certain Age" on TNT. Not an episode goes by without it proving so much better than almost anyone thought it would be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With largely favorable reviews and decent ratings, TNT has already renewed "Men" for a second season of 10 episodes.

And yet it's hardly a series you hear much about anecdotally - which means not only are people missing a surprisingly nuanced, reflective and funny show about a trio of men in their 40s facing variations on a midlife crisis, but they are also missing Ray Romano's coming-out party as a dramatic actor."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/02/15/DD281C11D8.DTL#ixzz0fqTVy4KY

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 08:54:39 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 17, 2010, 07:10:07 PM
"And yet it's hardly a series you hear much about anecdotally - which means not only are people missing a surprisingly nuanced, reflective and funny show about a trio of men in their 40s facing variations on a midlife crisis, but they are also missing Ray Romano's coming-out party as a dramatic actor."

That's what they said about Keir Dullea.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 09:36:45 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on February 17, 2010, 08:54:39 PM
Quote from: CBStew on February 17, 2010, 07:10:07 PM
"And yet it's hardly a series you hear much about anecdotally - which means not only are people missing a surprisingly nuanced, reflective and funny show about a trio of men in their 40s facing variations on a midlife crisis, but they are also missing Ray Romano's coming-out party as a dramatic actor."

That's what they said about Keir Dullea.

and Richard Chamberlain; Rock Hudson; Tony Perkins; Tony Randall; Cary Grant; Tom Selleck; Ed Finstermeyer...

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 12:11:11 AM »
Mr. Belding!

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »
Bump.
This show never ceases to impress me.  As it has aged it has beocme less funny, and by that I mean more serious and contemplative.  In fact, last night was rather dark.  For example, the Ray Romano character has fought his gambling addiction.  Now his former bookie is sick and undergoing chemo, so Romano, against his better judgment agrees to go to one of his bookie's clients to pick up some money.  Then he finds himself booking bets for the client behind his bookie's back.  A pretty funny premise.  Except that he is referred to another bettor from whom he takes a $5000 bet.  The bettor loses and can't pay, and Romano needs the money.  But the bettor is a guy just like Romano and has a sad story.  Suddenly I am Romano.  What do I do under these circumstances?  The Andre Braugher character discovers (by questionably legal video surveilance) that his oldest employee and family friend is stealing from the company.  What does he do?
I am unused to television that forces me to think.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 05:34:37 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 23, 2011, 03:28:46 PM
Bump.
This show never ceases to impress me.  As it has aged it has beocme less funny, and by that I mean more serious and contemplative.  In fact, last night was rather dark.  For example, the Ray Romano character has fought his gambling addiction.  Now his former bookie is sick and undergoing chemo, so Romano, against his better judgment agrees to go to one of his bookie's clients to pick up some money.  Then he finds himself booking bets for the client behind his bookie's back.  A pretty funny premise.  Except that he is referred to another bettor from whom he takes a $5000 bet.  The bettor loses and can't pay, and Romano needs the money.  But the bettor is a guy just like Romano and has a sad story.  Suddenly I am Romano.  What do I do under these circumstances?  The Andre Braugher character discovers (by questionably legal video surveilance) that his oldest employee and family friend is stealing from the company.  What does he do?
I am unused to television that forces me to think.

I agree, that was one of the most gripping episodes of television I've seen in a while. (since Breaking Bad last aired probably) It was interesting to watch Romano's addiction continue to torture him. He just couldn't escape the lure of the gambling world and got sucked in on the other side. He was justifying his activity by claiming that it wasn't his money he was betting but he wastes over a grand when he fails to show up to load the candy at the shop. In the end, he decides to let it all go but the clips from next week's episode seems to indicate tha this friend the bookie will exact some punishment for Joe's mis-steps.

I was trying to explain to a friend that this show is about regular shit that we all have to go through and that these guys somehow figure it out and make the most of it. When I described the characters, my friend retorted that they didn't sound very ordinary to him. What? A guy who owns a car dealership who's dad used to be a Laker? Balls! This friend happens to have a brother who once played NFL football. So whatever. This show rocks and anybody not named TDubbs should watch it or die.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 09:16:23 AM »
Right there with you two. This is a great show

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »
I watched most of the first season, then stopped for no apparent reason. Which is odd, because I liked it a lot. I should hop back on.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck