News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Avatar  ( 12,619 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Avatar
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 10:42:01 AM »
This was stupidly great.  Thanks to you guys, I was prepared for horrendous dialog, so I actually didn't think it was all that awful.  Even if it was, though, the visuals were incredible enough to make up for it.  I was in the front row of the Imax 3-D theater, and it was still amazing.  I want to see it again when the crowds thin out a little bit.  I bought tickets at 2:30 yesterday, and the 7:00 was already sold out.  The 10:30 was completely packed, hence the front-row viewing.  Definitely see this while it's still in the theater.  Imax, if you can.
Hire Jim Essian!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 12:29:14 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 28, 2009, 10:42:01 AM
This was stupidly great.  Thanks to you guys, I was prepared for horrendous dialog, so I actually didn't think it was all that awful.  Even if it was, though, the visuals were incredible enough to make up for it.  I was in the front row of the Imax 3-D theater, and it was still amazing.  I want to see it again when the crowds thin out a little bit.  I bought tickets at 2:30 yesterday, and the 7:00 was already sold out.  The 10:30 was completely packed, hence the front-row viewing.  Definitely see this while it's still in the theater.  Imax, if you can.

You can understand that it's cheesy at some parts but it's nowhere near terrible. I found it really easy to suspend any disbelief and just enjoy the movie, which is rare for me. This is the kind of movie they make so people like me can hate it with my entire body. I'm glad I didn't succumb to that urge, not that I ever had it.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 08:59:35 PM »
IMAX sold out while I was in line so we ended up seeing normal and 2D.

meh

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 10:00:33 PM »
Quote from: Pre on December 28, 2009, 08:59:35 PM

meh

I can't tell you how unfortunate that is.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 06:29:55 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on December 28, 2009, 10:00:33 PM
Quote from: Pre on December 28, 2009, 08:59:35 PM

meh

I can't tell you how unfortunate that is.

Why not?  You're not going to spoil it for anyone.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 10:01:43 AM »
Saw it last night on Imax. At first I didn't like the 3D. Maybe we were sitting too close though (2nd row), because things seemed out of focus on the sides of the screen. Or maybe my eyes needed to adjust, because after a few minutes I got used to it.

Yeah the plot was standard stuff, but I expected that. The dialogue wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

It looked amazing. I thought the animation in the Star Wars prequels looked stiff and fake, but with Avatar I forgot I was watching animation. The naked blue people were convincing. And unlike Watchmen, the naked blue people wear loincloths so you don't have see any blue penis.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 10:06:35 AM »
Quote from: Tony on December 31, 2009, 10:01:43 AM
Saw it last night on Imax. At first I didn't like the 3D. Maybe we were sitting too close though (2nd row), because things seemed out of focus on the sides of the screen. Or maybe my eyes needed to adjust, because after a few minutes I got used to it.

Yeah the plot was standard stuff, but I expected that. The dialogue wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

It looked amazing. I thought the animation in the Star Wars prequels looked stiff and fake, but with Avatar I forgot I was watching animation. The naked blue people were convincing. And unlike Watchmen, the naked blue people wear loincloths so you don't have see any blue penis.

I really liked Watchmen though...

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 10:08:20 AM »

I like giant blue penisi

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »

I was in the front row and had the same experience.  I found it helped when I completely turned my head to look at the sides of the screen.  I probably looked like a total PANK, but it was clearer.

So, if you ever find yourself traveling back through time to last night, just turn your head more.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 10:41:28 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on December 31, 2009, 10:38:36 AM

I was in the front row and had the same experience.  I found it helped when I completely turned my head to look at the sides of the screen.  I probably looked like a total PANK, but it was clearer.

So, if you ever find yourself traveling back through time to last night, just turn your head more.

Just then?

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 10:52:39 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on December 31, 2009, 10:41:28 AM

Just then?

This time, I wasn't wearing a bicycle helmet.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 10:55:23 AM »
I found it helped when I completely turned my head to look at the sides of the screen.

This image is making me laugh out loud.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 10:16:19 PM »
Quote from: MAD on December 31, 2009, 10:55:23 AM
I found it helped when I completely turned my head to look at the sides of the screen.

This image is making me laugh out loud.

Me too. I imagined BK's slack-jawed face to be drenched in rib sauce. That added something to the effect.

gehradam

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 04:16:33 PM »
It reminded me of pocahontas. It was pretty to look at and cool in 3D, but the plot was familiar and the dialog was predictable. I'd still recommend seeing it in 3D because it was entertaining, at least. Just don't come expecting to take anything away from it.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 04:18:35 PM »
Quote from: gehradam on January 05, 2010, 04:16:33 PM
It reminded me of pocahontas. It was pretty to look at and cool in 3D, but the plot was familiar and the dialog was predictable. I'd still recommend seeing it in 3D because it was entertaining, at least. Just don't come expecting to take anything away from it.

Wait...what?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.