News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 10: The Show  ( 88,298 )

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 10: The Show
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2010, 07:22:12 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 02, 2010, 07:20:30 PM
Quote from: Slack-E on March 02, 2010, 07:14:09 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on March 02, 2010, 06:49:53 PM
Quote from: Slack-E on March 02, 2010, 06:45:28 PM
Quote from: Yeti on March 02, 2010, 06:35:04 PM
Quote from: Slack-E on March 02, 2010, 05:55:29 PM
Just picked it up - yet to play it. Very excited. There, however, is hockey and Lost to watch first.

Meant to ask at some point, what's your PSN tag? Same as the Xbox?

Same for you Weebs.

Slaky on PSN.

Looking to pick this up on the weekend.

Can you do leagues for this game online?

You sure can. I don't know the whole deal behind it but if we can start one I am down like a clown.

So I fired up an exhibition game during intermission and already I've seen a bunch of new shit. Brewers at Cubs - Gallardo vs. Zambrano.

After I got Alcides Escobar to pop out to the Byrdman, Rex went over his three keys to the game. One of which was to keep the 7-8-9 hitters in check. I assume that was a reference to Gallardo's hitting prowess. Pretty neat. Weeks lined out to Fuky who made a nice running catch in right and Ryan Braun struck out looking and he managed to look like as big of a bitch as he does in real life.

Cubs come up to bat. I moved Theriot's punk ass down to eighth and DeRosa Baker up to the 2 hole. No matter, Fukudome would be my leadoff hitter on this day. First pitch is a whiff at a low slider. The second pitch is also a slider that forces Fuky to evacuate the box. Next pitch is a tapper to Fat Prince who steps on the bag but the drama is about to begin. Fukudome starts gesturing at Gallardo who starts yelling back at him as he trots back to the dugout. I assume there was a language barrier of some kind but it was still hilarious as Vasgersian sounded wildly entertained.

All this in the first 4 batters of the game.

I heart you, The Show.

When I get home, I'll look into how it's done. I assume Gil, Kermit, Weebs, you, and myself? I should check on what IAN's got going on with his PS3 (or if someone can join late) because he'd hate me if I started without him if he could join. Gotta keep the lovers happy.

Fuck it.  My office is two blocks away from a Best Buy.  I'll pick it up tonight and hopefully we can get this started up soon.  IAN just sent his PS3 out for repair, no?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2010, 07:24:13 PM »
I say no fantasy draft. How much money says Weebs tries to pick the Red Sox or Yankees?

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2010, 07:26:30 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on March 02, 2010, 07:24:13 PM
I say no fantasy draft. How much money says Weebs tries to pick the Red Sox or Yankees?

I have no idea how the online league would work.  Wouldn't a fantasy draft make more sense?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2010, 07:27:40 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on March 02, 2010, 07:26:30 PM

I have no idea how the online league would work.  Wouldn't a fantasy draft make more sense?

Maybe but it would also take hours.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2010, 07:30:49 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on March 02, 2010, 07:27:40 PM

True.  And there are plenty of good teams to select between 6 or 7 seven players.  I don't know, either way works.

Do y'all have mics?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on March 02, 2010, 07:30:49 PM

True.  And there are plenty of good teams to select between 6 or 7 seven players.  I don't know, either way works.

Do y'all have mics?

I do not.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2010, 07:36:31 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on March 02, 2010, 07:34:16 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on March 02, 2010, 07:30:49 PM

Do y'all have mics?

I do not.

I'd recommend getting the PSEye.  The camera and built-in mic work perfectly, and doesn't make you look like a complete phag with a headset.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2010, 08:24:38 PM »
My name is Weebs211 on PSN, I believe.

I played three games of this online, basically just picking a comparable team to whoever I played against.  First game they picked Red Sox and I picked the Yankees, because I hate anyone who picks either of those teams and will only use the other one if they do (if someone picks Wakefield to start, they're an asshole).  Then they picked Mets and I picked Cubs.  Then they picked Dodgers and I picked Rays.  I won the first two and lost the third.  The one major thing I've noticed is that the Guess Pitch system kind of sucks online.  The way it works is if you guess either the Pitch Type or the Location, the pitcher no longer has the ability to use the pitching meter.  They just throw the ball at whatever spot you picked.  It's really stupid, and takes a significant amount of control away, even if you're using a pitcher like Johan, because he only has 3 different pitches.  The lag isn't too terrible, but it seems like it'll take a while to get the timing down.  Off-speed stuff is particularly difficult to hit, and I can't really tell how accurate the trajectory of the pitch is compared to where it's actually thrown.  I feel like the ball may look like it's going to be way out of the zone, but it really winds up inside.  The animations are kind of wonky because of the lag.

As for the league, I'd definitely play, and I think we should do the fantasy draft.  As long as everybody is online, it really shouldn't take that long, especially if we sim after the first 25 (or maybe 40) rounds.  The one thing I heard, though, was that there is no CPU for the teams that aren't filled, but I'm not 100% sure.  It would be stupid if they didn't have the CPU auto-draft for all the teams that weren't player-controlled.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2010, 09:44:03 PM »
Marlon Byrd is some kind of awesome.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2010, 09:57:06 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on March 02, 2010, 07:22:12 PM
Quote from: Yeti on March 02, 2010, 07:20:30 PM
Quote from: Slack-E on March 02, 2010, 07:14:09 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on March 02, 2010, 06:49:53 PM
Just picked it up - yet to play it. Very excited. There, however, is hockey and Lost to watch first.

Same for you Weebs.

Slaky on PSN.

Looking to pick this up on the weekend.

Can you do leagues for this game online?

You sure can. I don't know the whole deal behind it but if we can start one I am down like a clown.

So I fired up an exhibition game during intermission and already I've seen a bunch of new shit. Brewers at Cubs - Gallardo vs. Zambrano.

After I got Alcides Escobar to pop out to the Byrdman, Rex went over his three keys to the game. One of which was to keep the 7-8-9 hitters in check. I assume that was a reference to Gallardo's hitting prowess. Pretty neat. Weeks lined out to Fuky who made a nice running catch in right and Ryan Braun struck out looking and he managed to look like as big of a bitch as he does in real life.

Cubs come up to bat. I moved Theriot's punk ass down to eighth and DeRosa Baker up to the 2 hole. No matter, Fukudome would be my leadoff hitter on this day. First pitch is a whiff at a low slider. The second pitch is also a slider that forces Fuky to evacuate the box. Next pitch is a tapper to Fat Prince who steps on the bag but the drama is about to begin. Fukudome starts gesturing at Gallardo who starts yelling back at him as he trots back to the dugout. I assume there was a language barrier of some kind but it was still hilarious as Vasgersian sounded wildly entertained.

All this in the first 4 batters of the game.

I heart you, The Show.

When I get home, I'll look into how it's done. I assume Gil, Kermit, Weebs, you, and myself? I should check on what IAN's got going on with his PS3 (or if someone can join late) because he'd hate me if I started without him if he could join. Gotta keep the lovers happy.

Fuck it.  My office is two blocks away from a Best Buy.  I'll pick it up tonight and hopefully we can get this started up soon.  IAN just sent his PS3 out for repair, no?

I did, Gil.  UPS tracking has it arriving at the shop in Pennsylvania on Thursday.  I assume they might take a day or two to repair it and send it off, so I'm looking at midweek next week as far as actually playing my first PS3 action.  I don't even have a mic or a controller, in fact.  Booo.  I also need a PSN ID.  I wonder if PowderedToastMan is taken.

I'm so pumped to finally play a great baseball game.  Hopefully.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2010, 10:01:53 PM »
So MLB 10: The Show is better thank MLB2k10 or whatever it's called?
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2010, 10:05:20 PM »
Quote from: JD on March 02, 2010, 10:01:53 PM
So MLB 10: The Show is better thank MLB2k10 or whatever it's called?

Affirmative

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2010, 10:20:34 PM »

Same for you Weebs.

Slaky on PSN.

It's saying that doesn't exist. Mine's IrishYeti (no 85, like Xbox).

Also, I'm against a draft, and I think we should pick shitty teams. Pirates, Royals, Orioles, San Diego, Washington, Arizona. Basically anyone who was 20+ games out of first.
I could also be swayed to a school of thought to where it doesn't matter who we pick because it's doubtful this thing will last more than a season (and more likely will last less than a season).

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2010, 10:42:17 PM »
Alright. It looks like some things will need to be hammered out.

First off, if we do a 6 team league (which is what I think we have), it'll be a 30 game season over 4 weeks. If we did 8, it would be 42 over 6 weeks. 6 teams does a 2 team playoff (championship). From what I'm gathering, it looks like the league is only real players. No CPU controlled teams. It appears that the league moves forward after every series, which is 3 games. We can set the amount of time that people have to complete their games. For example, 30G over 4W means 3 days to complete a 3 game series. If the amount of time is pushed up to 5 days to complete that same series, then it moves up to 7 weeks, and for 7 days, it moves to 10 weeks. There are a bunch of settings we'll need to decide on, along with sliders.

Personally, for all that shit, I don't really care. I don't mess with sliders nor do I deal with settings too much. I just go with whatever it starts with.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2010, 10:52:44 PM »
Sorry - user name is Slaky311. Freel free to add me, nerds of the PS3.