News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Fuck You Carlos Silva thread  ( 29,246 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Fuck You Carlos Silva thread
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2010, 06:08:07 PM »
Quote from: Pre on January 11, 2010, 12:31:06 PM
Quote from: Oleg on January 11, 2010, 11:54:15 AM
I read that post and I don't really understand what they're trying to say or show with the percentages.  Best and worst what?  Is there some other post that explains what they're trying to say?

Contact Percentage (Contact) – The percentage of times a batter hits the ball when he swings the bat.

In this case, the contact % for batters faced.  Obviously lower % is better, but you can't really look at it
in a vacuum because there's a balance w/ throwing strikes, how good of contact batters make, and what
not.  In general, if you contact % is approaching the same as a home run derby pitcher, it's a bad sign.

Contact% is the percentage of plate appearances where the final outcome was a ball in play.  A batter can swing/miss on two pitches, but if he grounds out to short (or lines a hit to short left) on the third, his contact% is 100--not 33.

Edit: Nevermind. That's incorrect. As you were.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2010, 05:07:16 PM »
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-worst-contract-in-baseball

It's pretty sweet that we have 2 out of the 4 guys on this list.

"I was having a debate a few days ago across twitter with some folks and figured it worth bringing up here. Evan Longoria is likely the best contract in baseball. It's just obscene, in a good way, for the Rays. But who is the worst? Not talking about ever, or worst at the time, just worst as it stands right now in January of 2010. Which player would you least like on your team going forward, or who do you think would be the most difficult to trade?

I would have nominated Carlos Silva, but apparently he wasn't that difficult to trade, thank you Cubs, and it would have been more of a biased suggestion than a real one. It's an awful contract, but it does only have two years left on it. No, I think in the debate for worst contract left in baseball, it comes down to three contenders.

Barry Zito has four guaranteed years left on his contract with a total payout of $76 million and then either an $18 million club option or a $7 million buyout for a minimum for $83 million left to be paid. He also comes with a full no-trade clause. Zito, as mentioned yesterday, has produced 5.3 WAR so far for San Francisco. At least he is sort of trending upwards?

Going back to the Cubs, Alfonso Soriano has five years, a full no-trade clause and $90 million left on his deal. He started off promising with a 5.6 win season in 2007 but fell to 3.1 wins in 2008 and then a horrendous -0.7 last year. The defense has taken about a 15-run hit each consecutive year and the offense has been trending downward as well.

Vernon Wells also has the benefit of a full no-trade clause and due to his protracted signing bonus, is actually owed a whopping $107 million over the remaining five years of his contract. Since his 5.8 win 2006 season, after which his extension was signed, Wells has been worth 0.9, 1.3 and -0.1 wins. His offense has always been sporadic, but his fielding has really taken a hit lately, being well below average the last two seasons.

So, weighing those, who is worst, Zito, Wells or Soriano? Or is there someone else that you think is even more of a dead weight?"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2010, 05:38:15 PM »
This thread is going to really hit its stride once we start seeing actual games. Can't wait.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2010, 05:52:53 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on January 21, 2010, 05:38:15 PM
This thread is going to really hit its stride once we start seeing actual games. Can't wait.

Yes, but will it approach "Clusterfuck" proportions?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2010, 07:36:05 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on January 21, 2010, 05:52:53 PM

I won't lock it. All the Fucking Youing of Carlos Silva will be welcome

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 21, 2010, 07:36:05 PM

Yeah, I don't wanna hear any of this ledge jumper bullshit either. Carlos Silva sucks and he's always going to suck. My friend mentioned him today and stopped himself short of saying he's hoping Silva resurrects himself. He quickly realized that you can't resurrect yourself if you've never been good.

I plan to have no mercy on this fat jerkoff. I hope, for your sakes, that I can be a little more clever and interesting about it than our old pal Lonestar was on a day to day basis.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2010, 08:03:02 PM »
I'm kind of looking forward to watching Silva pitch.

Of course also slow down to stare at really gruesome car accidents too.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Simmer

• Play Ball
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2010, 09:05:20 PM »
O/U ERA --  5.76

I think Wrigley Field will help him.  To a fat ol' 5.94.  O
2010 Chicago Cubs
75-87

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »
I don't know how much I'll manage to care about him.  I guess when he's a huge asshole
in addition to the sucking then I'll have some hate.  But he's going to suck.  We all know
he's going to suck.

If the Cubs actually manage to not suck next year, then every Silva inning will anger me,
but if they live down to my Lowered Expectations (<-- that would be a fancy url to a picture
of Ronnie fucking WooWoo in his fucking single Michael Jackson white glove from the Cub
convention if the internet could handle my metaphors), then who the fuck cares who the
5th starter is?  Might as well let Samardzija and Silva take turns and take bets on who can
give up more homeruns.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2010, 10:50:21 PM »
Quote from: Pre on January 21, 2010, 10:07:40 PM
I don't know how much I'll manage to care about him.  I guess when he's a huge asshole
in addition to the sucking then I'll have some hate.  But he's going to suck.  We all know
he's going to suck.

If the Cubs actually manage to not suck next year, then every Silva inning will anger me,
but if they live down to my Lowered Expectations (<-- that would be a fancy url to a picture
of Ronnie fucking WooWoo in his fucking single Michael Jackson white glove from the Cub
convention if the internet could handle my metaphors), then who the fuck cares who the
5th starter is?  Might as well let Samardzija and Silva take turns and take bets on who can
give up more homeruns.

If I were to actually give a shit, I think I would hope he gets booed so hard he ends up retiring.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2010, 10:53:38 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 21, 2010, 07:36:05 PM

The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2010, 04:16:36 PM »
Bump.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2010, 04:22:56 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 25, 2010, 04:16:36 PM
Bump.

[Fork]Given his size, shouldn't that be "Lump?"[/Fork]
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2010, 12:10:08 PM »
Bump.

Quote@PWSullivan Blake Lalli nearly impales Silva with broken bat in b.p. Near miss

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2010, 12:13:24 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on March 02, 2010, 12:10:08 PM
Bump.

Quote@PWSullivan Blake Lalli nearly impales Silva with broken bat in b.p. Near miss

So close...