News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 15 Most Influential Games of the Decade  ( 4,012 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
15 Most Influential Games of the Decade
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:45:48 AM »
Finally, a list that labels itself correctly.  I think they actually did a really good job.  It's hard to argue against most of the games that show up here.  Discuss and battle it out.
Hire Jim Essian!

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: 15 Most Influential Games of the Decade
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 30, 2009, 09:45:48 AM
Finally, a list that labels itself correctly.  I think they actually did a really good job.  It's hard to argue against most of the games that show up here.  Discuss and battle it out.

FINALLY!
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 10:49:02 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 30, 2009, 09:45:48 AM

I was reading this the other day, and I'd have to agree with it, for the most part.  I kind of feel like a few of the smaller, arcade games (Bejeweled, Geometry Wars, Brain Age) are getting at the same thing: the influence those games have on both men and women, of all ages, as opposed to the more niche group of "gamers."  I do, however, think that BioShock should be on that list.  I've said it before that I think the actual gameplay (shooting, platforming, etc.) is pretty bad, but the narrative and setting of that game are amazing.  Everything else on there is pretty spot on, though I'd think about maybe including one of the games responsible for the rise of the Western RPG, like Morrowind or Oblivion, or another game (probably from Bioware) like that.  Granted, those games have always been popular on the PC, but up until near the middle of the PS2 era, J-RPGs were the most popular among console gamers.  Also, Shadow of the Colossus (or Ico) are deserving of that list.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 11:31:07 AM »
How did Battlefield or Call of Duty not make it on that list.  They pretty much are the first-person military shooter multiplayer and single player kings.

/meathead
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 11:40:26 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on December 30, 2009, 11:31:07 AM
How did Battlefield or Call of Duty not make it on that list.  They pretty much are the first-person military shooter multiplayer and single player kings.

/meathead

I like how they included Silent Hill 2 on that list.  I fully agree with that decision.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 11:44:52 AM »

/meathead

Because Halo started it.  While Battlefield and Call of Duty may have advanced and actual gameplay in FPS games, Halo was what got people playing them on the consoles, even though they had been popular for years on the PC.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 12:19:24 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on December 30, 2009, 11:44:52 AM

/meathead

Because Halo started it.  While Battlefield and Call of Duty may have advanced and actual gameplay in FPS games, Halo was what got people playing them on the consoles, even though they had been popular for years on the PC.

I forget that Halo even exists.  I only played the first one on XBOX, and it was just locally with some friends.  It was fun, indeed.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 12:23:21 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on December 30, 2009, 12:19:24 PM

/meathead

I forget that Halo even exists.  I only played the first one on XBOX, and it was just locally with some friends.  It was fun, indeed.

I played Halo 2 more than I have any FPS besides Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, but I'm absolutely sick of those games at this point.  The first Halo did everything really well, but other than online modes, nothing has really changed that significantly since the first one.  The multiplayer has become more frustrating, the single player is massive but boring, and they just keep coming out with new titles that are full of the same things.  I'm starting to think Call of Duty is headed down that path, too.  Just like Halo 2, the second Modern Warfare is fun as hell, but it's mostly the same things done very, very well.  Hopefully, whenever MW3 comes out, they can try some new things.  I really like the style of play you get from a game like Battlefield or (potentially) that upcoming MAG game.  The 6v6 skirmishes are fun, but everything seems more epic when it's on a much larger scale. Unfortunately, most games fail when they try that.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:27:31 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on December 30, 2009, 12:23:21 PM

/meathead

I played Halo 2 more than I have any FPS besides Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, but I'm absolutely sick of those games at this point.  The first Halo did everything really well, but other than online modes, nothing has really changed that significantly since the first one.  The multiplayer has become more frustrating, the single player is massive but boring, and they just keep coming out with new titles that are full of the same things.  I'm starting to think Call of Duty is headed down that path, too.  Just like Halo 2, the second Modern Warfare is fun as hell, but it's mostly the same things done very, very well.  Hopefully, whenever MW3 comes out, they can try some new things.  I really like the style of play you get from a game like Battlefield or (potentially) that upcoming MAG game.  The 6v6 skirmishes are fun, but everything seems more epic when it's on a much larger scale. Unfortunately, most games fail when they try that.

Although I don't think they won't, I could almost deal with them scrapping the story on COD. I play it just to say I did and for the achievements. I was thinking about the campaign the other day and felt that it was pretty shitty, but really, who cares? MW2 is all about the multiplayer and it is possibly second to none. One thing they could add would be maps with the killzones like Bungie has for Halo 3 multiplayer.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 12:31:42 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on December 30, 2009, 12:27:31 PM
Quote from: Weebs on December 30, 2009, 12:23:21 PM

/meathead

Although I don't think they won't, I could almost deal with them scrapping the story on COD. I play it just to say I did and for the achievements. I was thinking about the campaign the other day and felt that it was pretty shitty, but really, who cares? MW2 is all about the multiplayer and it is possibly second to none. One thing they could add would be maps with the killzones like Bungie has for Halo 3 multiplayer.

Modern Warfare's single player was pretty incredible.  I feel like Infinity Ward just became really full of themselves for the sequel.  They thought they were the shit after the first game (there are hundreds of millions of reasons why), and felt like they needed to make a game that was both badass and "important."  Instead, it felt like season six of 24; cool for a little while, and then just plain stupid.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »
Weebs is right.  CoD4's single player was awesome.  To be honest, so was MW2's single player.  I mean, you're fighting in suburban Virgina and on the hallowed grounds in Washington, D. C. as America fights for it's survival.  I thought MW2's campaign was pretty epic, maybe more so than the first one.  Where it really failed was the storytelling.  They did a God awful job of it this go 'round.  But, it doesn't change how impactful the actual situations are in MW2.

Lost in the shuffle is W@W, which some people forget about.  That game was pretty great, too, it was just set in an all-to-familiar setting that has gotten a lot of play in FPSs.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 06:56:11 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on December 30, 2009, 03:57:18 PM
Weebs is right.  CoD4's single player was awesome.  To be honest, so was MW2's single player.  I mean, you're fighting in suburban Virgina and on the hallowed grounds in Washington, D. C. as America fights for it's survival.  I thought MW2's campaign was pretty epic, maybe more so than the first one.  Where it really failed was the storytelling.  They did a God awful job of it this go 'round.  But, it doesn't change how impactful the actual situations are in MW2.

Lost in the shuffle is W@W, which some people forget about.  That game was pretty great, too, it was just set in an all-to-familiar setting that has gotten a lot of play in FPSs.

W@W is amazing if, for nothing else, being able to hear Jack Bauer say "OUTSTANDING MARINES! OUT-FUCKING-STANDING!" anytime you win a multiplayer match.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 07:23:50 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on December 30, 2009, 06:56:11 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on December 30, 2009, 03:57:18 PM

W@W is amazing if, for nothing else, being able to hear Jack Bauer say "OUTSTANDING MARINES! OUT-FUCKING-STANDING!" anytime you win a multiplayer match.

I might have to go back and play that one this weekend.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »

/meathead

Play Halo online.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.