Desipio Message Board
October 21, 2014, 06:59:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Oct 12 - Oral History: Cubs hire Theo  http://www.desipio.com/?p=3639

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Guns of August  (Read 9475 times)
CT III
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Killer of men.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:30:22 PM »

World War II gets all the pub, but World War I was quite the event itself.  Anyway, if you've got any interest in reading about it, The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman is where you should start.  And excellent history of the run up to the War and its opening month.  If you don't believe me, you can ask SKO.  If you don't believe SKO, you can ask TEC.  And if you don't believe TEC, there's no hope for you, you troop-hating piece of shit.

Read this book.
Pre
Hank White Fan Club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 09:20:09 PM »

Nice, this has been sitting on my audible list for a while, but I was having a hard time
convincing myself it was worth it.
Jon
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Hitler Puncher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:58:32 PM »

I've heard good things.

I've read A Distant Mirror, which is her book on the 14th Century. It's excellent.

Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche
Waco Kid
Fukakke Fan Club

Tremendously tremendous

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 07:43:27 AM »

I read this about a year ago. Very good book.
flannj
Fukakke Fan Club

"Knew your father, I did"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »

Not speaking directly to this book but an article in the NYT discusses the large amount of writing and chronicling being done by today's troops on the battlefield.
I plan on using the reading list at the end of the article to check out some examples.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/08/us/08military.html?pagewanted=1&ref=world

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen
SKO
Johnny Evers Fan Club

ARMCOCK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »

World War II gets all the pub, but World War I was quite the event itself.  Anyway, if you've got any interest in reading about it, The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman is where you should start.  And excellent history of the run up to the War and its opening month.  If you don't believe me, you can ask SKO.  If you don't believe SKO, you can ask TEC.  And if you don't believe TEC, there's no hope for you, you troop-hating piece of shit.

Read this book.

It's where you should start your journey through World War I, but not where you should finish. You should then proceed to Hugh Strachan's The First World War, which will then of course lead you to The First World War by John Keegan. And if you like John Keegan, well, that name is somewhat similar to Don Kagan, who wrote the definitive history of the Peloponnesian War. And if you like the Peloponnesian War, well, then the best historical fiction novel about the Peloponnesian War is Tides of War, by Steven Pressfield, and naturally, if you want the best Steven Pressfield book, you can read Gates of Fire, which makes 300 look like absolute horseshit. And if you're into Pressfield, well, he wrote The Legend of Bagger Vance, and this all adds up to Charlize Theron being pretty hot except in Monster.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 10:42:35 AM by SKO » Logged

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=545

"Plummer, in 1999, "contributed" 1,017 fewer yards to the Cardinals than the league average QB would have brought to the table. As far as modern seasons go, Plummer's '99 stands as the worst."
Jon
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Hitler Puncher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:44:41 AM »

World War II gets all the pub, but World War I was quite the event itself.  Anyway, if you've got any interest in reading about it, The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman is where you should start.  And excellent history of the run up to the War and its opening month.  If you don't believe me, you can ask SKO.  If you don't believe SKO, you can ask TEC.  And if you don't believe TEC, there's no hope for you, you troop-hating piece of shit.

Read this book.

It's where you should start your journey through World War I, but not where you should finish. You should then proceed to Hugh Strachan's The First World War, which will then of course lead you to The First World War by John Keegan. And if you like John Keegan, well, that name is somewhat similar to Don Kagan, who wrote the definitive history of the Peloponnesian War. And if you like the Peloponnesian War, well, then the best historical fiction novel about the Peloponnesian War is Tides of War, by Steven Pressfield, and naturally, if you want the best Steven Pressfield book, you can read Gates of Fire, which makes 300 look like absolute horseshit. And if you're into Pressfield, well, he wrote The Legend of Bagger Vance, and this all adds up to Charlize Theron being pretty hot except in Monster.

Pretty sure 300 makes 300 look like absolute horseshit.

Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche
SKO
Johnny Evers Fan Club

ARMCOCK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:47:07 AM »

Read this book.

Pretty sure 300 makes 300 look like absolute horseshit.

Obviously I'm the only one here who's read his Herodotus. It clearly mentions Xerxes wearing nipple clamps and travelling with a harem of deformed women and flute playing goats.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=545

"Plummer, in 1999, "contributed" 1,017 fewer yards to the Cardinals than the league average QB would have brought to the table. As far as modern seasons go, Plummer's '99 stands as the worst."
Pre
Hank White Fan Club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 10:29:51 PM »

This is the first time I've enjoyed a book by a woman since...

ah

um

ah

Because It Is Bitter, and Because It Is My Heart (surprisingly not by or about BC)
Chuck to Chuck
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Making Pen Laugh since 1:42 PM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 03:47:53 PM »

ah

um

ah

Because It Is Bitter, and Because It Is My Heart (surprisingly not by or about BC)

The Outsiders?
CT III
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Killer of men.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 03:52:15 PM »

ah

um

ah

The Outsiders?

I had him pegged as an Anne Rice fan.
PenFoe
Johnny Evers Fan Club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »

ah

um

ah

The Outsiders?

I had him pegged as an Anne Rice fan.

To Kill a Mockingbird?

Actually, I remember liking this book, a long time ago.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.
MAD
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Commit me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 05:04:54 PM »

"The Good Earth" by Pearl Buck.  One of the finest books ever written, by woman, man or hermaphrodite.

I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)
JD
I feel like 30 million dollars.
Johnny Evers Fan Club

A JD you can get sweaty with and high 5!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 08:58:15 PM »

Superfudge by Judy Blume

Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.
Yeti
Johnny Evers Fan Club

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 11:11:08 AM »

Superfudge by Judy Blume

I was always partial to Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: