News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Guns of August  ( 37,103 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Guns of August
« on: February 06, 2010, 10:30:22 PM »
World War II gets all the pub, but World War I was quite the event itself.  Anyway, if you've got any interest in reading about it, The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman is where you should start.  And excellent history of the run up to the War and its opening month.  If you don't believe me, you can ask SKO.  If you don't believe SKO, you can ask TEC.  And if you don't believe TEC, there's no hope for you, you troop-hating piece of shit.

Read this book.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: The Guns of August
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 08:20:09 PM »
Nice, this has been sitting on my audible list for a while, but I was having a hard time
convincing myself it was worth it.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 09:58:32 PM »
I've heard good things.

I've read A Distant Mirror, which is her book on the 14th Century. It's excellent.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 06:43:27 AM »
I read this about a year ago. Very good book.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 11:34:37 AM »
Not speaking directly to this book but an article in the NYT discusses the large amount of writing and chronicling being done by today's troops on the battlefield.
I plan on using the reading list at the end of the article to check out some examples.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/08/us/08military.html?pagewanted=1&ref=world
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:20:33 AM »
Quote from: CT III on February 06, 2010, 10:30:22 PM
World War II gets all the pub, but World War I was quite the event itself.  Anyway, if you've got any interest in reading about it, The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman is where you should start.  And excellent history of the run up to the War and its opening month.  If you don't believe me, you can ask SKO.  If you don't believe SKO, you can ask TEC.  And if you don't believe TEC, there's no hope for you, you troop-hating piece of shit.

Read this book.

It's where you should start your journey through World War I, but not where you should finish. You should then proceed to Hugh Strachan's The First World War, which will then of course lead you to The First World War by John Keegan. And if you like John Keegan, well, that name is somewhat similar to Don Kagan, who wrote the definitive history of the Peloponnesian War. And if you like the Peloponnesian War, well, then the best historical fiction novel about the Peloponnesian War is Tides of War, by Steven Pressfield, and naturally, if you want the best Steven Pressfield book, you can read Gates of Fire, which makes 300 look like absolute horseshit. And if you're into Pressfield, well, he wrote The Legend of Bagger Vance, and this all adds up to Charlize Theron being pretty hot except in Monster.

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 09:44:41 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 10, 2010, 09:20:33 AM
World War II gets all the pub, but World War I was quite the event itself.  Anyway, if you've got any interest in reading about it, The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman is where you should start.  And excellent history of the run up to the War and its opening month.  If you don't believe me, you can ask SKO.  If you don't believe SKO, you can ask TEC.  And if you don't believe TEC, there's no hope for you, you troop-hating piece of shit.

Read this book.

It's where you should start your journey through World War I, but not where you should finish. You should then proceed to Hugh Strachan's The First World War, which will then of course lead you to The First World War by John Keegan. And if you like John Keegan, well, that name is somewhat similar to Don Kagan, who wrote the definitive history of the Peloponnesian War. And if you like the Peloponnesian War, well, then the best historical fiction novel about the Peloponnesian War is Tides of War, by Steven Pressfield, and naturally, if you want the best Steven Pressfield book, you can read Gates of Fire, which makes 300 look like absolute horseshit. And if you're into Pressfield, well, he wrote The Legend of Bagger Vance, and this all adds up to Charlize Theron being pretty hot except in Monster.

Pretty sure 300 makes 300 look like absolute horseshit.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 09:47:07 AM »
Quote from: Jon on February 10, 2010, 09:44:41 AM
Quote from: SKO on February 10, 2010, 09:20:33 AM

Read this book.

Pretty sure 300 makes 300 look like absolute horseshit.

Obviously I'm the only one here who's read his Herodotus. It clearly mentions Xerxes wearing nipple clamps and travelling with a harem of deformed women and flute playing goats.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 09:29:51 PM »
This is the first time I've enjoyed a book by a woman since...

ah

um

ah

Because It Is Bitter, and Because It Is My Heart (surprisingly not by or about BC)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 02:47:53 PM »
Quote from: Pre on March 08, 2010, 09:29:51 PM

ah

um

ah

Because It Is Bitter, and Because It Is My Heart (surprisingly not by or about BC)

The Outsiders?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 02:52:15 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 09, 2010, 02:47:53 PM

ah

um

ah

The Outsiders?

I had him pegged as an Anne Rice fan.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
Quote from: CT III on March 09, 2010, 02:52:15 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 09, 2010, 02:47:53 PM

ah

um

ah

The Outsiders?

I had him pegged as an Anne Rice fan.

To Kill a Mockingbird?

Actually, I remember liking this book, a long time ago.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 04:04:54 PM »
"The Good Earth" by Pearl Buck.  One of the finest books ever written, by woman, man or hermaphrodite.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 07:58:15 PM »
Superfudge by Judy Blume
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 10:11:08 AM »
Quote from: JD on March 09, 2010, 07:58:15 PM
Superfudge by Judy Blume

I was always partial to Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary