News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Spring Has Sprung 2010  ( 85,505 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Spring Has Sprung 2010
« Reply #450 on: March 11, 2010, 05:22:54 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on March 11, 2010, 04:36:06 PM
Add two teams to the Majors, put one in the AL, move the Brewers to the AL per Chuck's advice, put one new team in the NL and here's the plan:

AL East:
Yanks
Bosox
Ryas
Orioles

AL North
Indians
Tigers
Sox
Jays

AL Central
Twins
Royals
Rangers
Brewers

AL West
Mariners
A's
Angels
Las Vegas Expansion Team

NL East
Mets
Phils
Montreal Expansion Team
Nationals

NL South
Marlins
Astros
Braves
Reds

NL North
Cubs
Cardinals
Pirates
Rockies

NL West
D-bags
Padres
Dodgers
Giants

Only first place teams advance. Everyone else goes home and plays golf.

Play 22 games (11 home, 11 away) against the 3 other teams in your division: 66 games
Play 12 games (6 home, 6 away) against the other 8 teams in your league: 96 games.

Leave the interleague matchups for spring training, the once-a-year exhibition games between Cubs and Sox, the All-Star Game and the World Series.

How about this one, except instead of adding Vegas and Montreal, we get rid of Pittsburgh, KC, Florida, Baltimore, Toronto and the D'Backs.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #451 on: March 11, 2010, 05:23:40 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 11, 2010, 05:05:03 PM
Quote from: R-V on March 11, 2010, 04:55:18 PM
How about getting rid of leagues and divisions entirely, playing a balanced schedule,and have the 8 teams with the best record make the playoffs?

(I have no idea how this would work scheduling-wise.)

Not bad in a vacuum.  But there is still a demand for regional rivalries.  18 games vs. St. Louis and Chicago is far better for baseball than 6 or 8.

Short of contraction (which I am all for), there doesn't seem to be a simple system outside of the one I outlined.  Mine is patterned after the most successful league, the NFL. If the Pats and Giants can play in Week 17 and 5 weeks later in the Superbowl, then interleague is good for MLB as well.

The NFL allows each team to face nearly every other team in the entire league every four years.  That's good for the fans.  It would be good for the MLB as well.

Sure it is, but 6 or 8 means those slobbering humanoids known as Tards fans would only come to town once a year. That'd be pretty sweet.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #452 on: March 11, 2010, 05:23:54 PM »
Shoot it out and let God decide.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #453 on: March 11, 2010, 05:33:19 PM »
My plan:

1) Make these fuckers travel by train.
2) Move LA to play next door to the Nets new arena and force the Giants to play wherever Bloomberg was going to put the new Jets/Olympic Stadium that never happened.
3) Put the Mets out of their misery.
4) Force the Twins back to Washington and the Orioles back to St. Louis. Send the Braves back to Boston.
5) Put the A's back in Philly.
5) Contract Arizona, Tampa, Colorado, Florida, Toronto, Seattle, Milwaukee, Kansas City, the Nats, Padres, Mets, Astros, Angels and Rangers.
6) Go with a 154 game schedule with this alignment:

National
Brooklyn
New York
Boston
Phila.
Pittsburgh
Cinicinnati
Chicago
St. Louis

American
Boston
New York
Washington
Cleveland
Detroit
Chicago
St. Louis
Philadelphia

This is novel. It might just work.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #454 on: March 11, 2010, 05:41:23 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 11, 2010, 04:03:47 PM

It's stupid.  Want to realign?

15 teams per league with 3 divisions per league consisting of five teams each.  Schedule as follows:
18 games vs. each divisional opponent, 9 home and 9 away (72 games)
6 games vs. each non-divisional opponent, 3 home and 3 away (60 games)
6 games vs. each team in a single intraleague division, 3 home and 3 away (30 games).  Division played to rotate on a 3 year schedule (similar to the NFL schedule)

Total games played: 162

Just need to get an NL team back into the AL.  Milwaukee, I'm looking at you.

Here's what I can't wrap my head around.  By moving an NL team to the AL, you have 15 teams in each league.  Meaning that under this plan, there pretty much has to be an interleague series every single series of the year, otherwise two teams are just waiting around for four days on a bye.  Is that even feasible?  Isn't 450 total interleague games (30 teams, 30 games each, 2 teams per game) only 30 days worth of games?  How can you stretch that from April to September?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #455 on: March 11, 2010, 05:43:19 PM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on March 11, 2010, 05:41:23 PM

15 teams per league with 3 divisions per league consisting of five teams each.  Schedule as follows:
6 games vs. each team in a single intraleague division, 3 home and 3 away (30 games).  Division played to rotate on a 3 year schedule (similar to the NFL schedule)

Here's what I can't wrap my head around.  By moving an NL team to the AL, you have 15 teams in each league.  Meaning that under this plan, there pretty much has to be an interleague series every single series of the year, otherwise two teams are just waiting around for four days on a bye.  Is that even feasible?  Isn't 450 total interleague games (30 teams, 30 games each, 2 teams per game) only 30 days worth of games?  How can you stretch that from April to September?

Simply put, you would have an interleague game every day.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #456 on: March 11, 2010, 05:56:28 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on March 11, 2010, 05:43:19 PM
Quote from: Ivy6 on March 11, 2010, 05:41:23 PM

Simply put, you would have an interleague game every day.

I guess you have to look at it as 150 series and that woud seemingly work.  I still don't like it.  If competitive balance is the MOST IMPORTANT thing this is supposed to achieve, why not just implement more revenue sharing and a salary floor?  This whole original propsal just reeks of a bullshit idea that Selig and co float around to make it seem like they're working on something.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #457 on: March 11, 2010, 06:22:29 PM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on March 11, 2010, 05:56:28 PM
I guess you have to look at it as 150 series and that woud seemingly work.  I still don't like it.  If competitive balance is the MOST IMPORTANT thing this is supposed to achieve, why not just implement more revenue sharing and a salary floor?  This whole original propsal just reeks of a bullshit idea that Selig and co float around to make it seem like they're working on something.

This is not trying to restore competitive balance.  This is trying to restore the integrity of the schedule.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #458 on: March 11, 2010, 07:08:03 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 11, 2010, 06:22:29 PM
Quote from: Ivy6 on March 11, 2010, 05:56:28 PM

This is not trying to restore competitive balance.  This is trying to restore the integrity of the schedule.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #459 on: March 11, 2010, 09:52:52 PM »
It's obvious from the ideas being discussed (floating realignment, for fuck's sake?) that
Selig and the owners want to keep the current arrangement, so they're letting some
BS committee come up with some ideas that are definitely terrible so they can claim
they tried but it just doesn't work and so the status quo remains.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #460 on: March 12, 2010, 09:31:35 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on March 11, 2010, 05:33:19 PM
My plan:

2) Move LA to play next door to the Nets new arena and force the Giants to play wherever Bloomberg was going to put the new Jets/Olympic Stadium that never happened.
4) Force the Twins back to Washington and the Orioles back to St. Louis. Send the Braves back to Boston.
5) Contract Arizona, Tampa, Colorado, Florida, Toronto, Seattle, Milwaukee, Kansas City, the Nats, Padres, Mets, Astros, Angels and Rangers.

National
Brooklyn
New York
Boston
Phila.
Pittsburgh
Cinicinnati
Chicago
St. Louis

American
Boston
New York
Washington
Cleveland
Detroit
Chicago
St. Louis
Philadelphia

I like it!

Finally, you found the place where I'm equally conservative.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #461 on: March 12, 2010, 09:34:31 AM »
Quote from: Bort on March 12, 2010, 09:31:35 AM
Quote from: Brownie on March 11, 2010, 05:33:19 PM
My plan:

National
Brooklyn
New York
Boston
Phila.
Pittsburgh
Cinicinnati
Chicago
St. Louis

American
Boston
New York
Washington
Cleveland
Detroit
Chicago
St. Louis
Philadelphia

I like it!

Finally, you found the place where I'm equally conservative.

I love it too. This something I'd do when playing around with fake computer baseball simulations. Old time shit is where it's at.

And TJ, don't think I don't appreciate the hell out of what you did with the abbreviation of Philadelphia. Top notch, sir.

I owe you one TJSlaky entree*.

*Purchase of soft drink or other non-alcoholic beverage required

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #462 on: March 12, 2010, 09:39:27 AM »
Alright, now that someone has made an argument other than "it sucks because it's stupid" I see that floating realignment is probably lame. Thanks, Desipio!

Is there any way we could kidnap Bud Selig, take his face....off, roll him up in a carpet, throw him off a bridge, put his face on TJ, and put TJ in charge of MLB?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #463 on: March 12, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »
Quote from: R-V on March 12, 2010, 09:39:27 AM
Alright, now that someone has made an argument other than "it sucks because it's stupid" I see that floating realignment is probably lame. Thanks, Desipio!

Is there any way we could kidnap Bud Selig, take his face....off, roll him up in a carpet, throw him off a bridge, put his face on TJ, and put TJ in charge of MLB?

Not sure, but that would have made a much better plot than the one they actually used for Face/Off.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #464 on: March 12, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »
Quote from: R-V on March 12, 2010, 09:39:27 AM

Another reason it's stupid. What happens to an AL DH if the team moves to the NL? They just release him?