News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Spring Has Sprung 2010  ( 85,462 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Spring Has Sprung 2010
« Reply #465 on: March 12, 2010, 11:26:16 AM »
Quote from: BH on March 12, 2010, 11:23:56 AM
Quote from: R-V on March 12, 2010, 09:39:27 AM
Alright, now that someone has made an argument other than "it sucks because it's stupid" I see that floating realignment is probably lame. Thanks, Desipio!

Is there any way we could kidnap Bud Selig, take his face....off, roll him up in a carpet, throw him off a bridge, put his face on TJ, and put TJ in charge of MLB?

Another reason it's stupid. What happens to an AL DH if the team moves to the NL? They just release him?

I say: shoot him.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #466 on: March 12, 2010, 11:46:24 AM »
Quote from: R-V on March 12, 2010, 09:39:27 AM
Alright, now that someone has made an argument other than "it sucks because it's stupid" I see that floating realignment is probably lame. Thanks, Desipio!

Is there any way we could kidnap Bud Selig, take his face....off, roll him up in a carpet, throw him off a bridge, put his face on TJ, and put TJ in charge of MLB?

Another reason it's stupid. What happens to an AL DH if the team moves to the NL? They just release him?

Hendry trades for him and sticks him in right field.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #467 on: March 12, 2010, 12:58:19 PM »
I was talking to my buddy about this the other day, and he was explaining to me how the Premier League banishes their bottom two teams to the "minors" and promotes the best two teams from the "minors" to the Premier League each year.  I had no idea that's how it worked (because I'm a PANK when it comes to following soccer), but it's too bad that baseball's minor league system feeds the MLB teams.  It would be awesome to watch the Nationals and Pirates get banished to AAA.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #468 on: March 12, 2010, 01:06:54 PM »
How about just having a min/max salary cap like most other sports?

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #469 on: March 12, 2010, 01:15:59 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on March 12, 2010, 12:58:19 PM
I was talking to my buddy about this the other day, and he was explaining to me how the Premier League banishes their bottom two teams to the "minors" and promotes the best two teams from the "minors" to the Premier League each year.  I had no idea that's how it worked (because I'm a PANK when it comes to following soccer), but it's too bad that baseball's minor league system feeds the MLB teams.  It would be awesome to watch the Nationals and Pirates get banished to AAA.

Relegation happens throughout the English league system.

I think this means that, at least technically, your local club team could get promoted its way all the way up the league structure, from its district league up to Premier.

http://www.thepyramid.info/asp/pyramid3.asp

Looks like Bristol Downs League Division 4 is the lowest of the low.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #470 on: March 12, 2010, 01:34:33 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on March 12, 2010, 01:15:59 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on March 12, 2010, 12:58:19 PM

Relegation happens throughout the English league system.

I think this means that, at least technically, your local club team could get promoted its way all the way up the league structure, from its district league up to Premier.

http://www.thepyramid.info/asp/pyramid3.asp

Looks like Bristol Downs League Division 4 is the lowest of the low.

Relegation is a pretty exciting concept.  Out of 20 teams in the Premiership, usually 6-8 at the top are fighting for Champions League positions, while the bottom 6-8 are fighting being one of the three relegated.  That means that more than half of the teams have something tangible to play for at all times. 

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #471 on: March 12, 2010, 05:51:39 PM »
And then there are the mediocrities that have nothing to play for except to divide the good teams from the bad teams. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #472 on: March 13, 2010, 11:58:07 AM »
Andy, are you posting on the Tribune's site now?

"Andy on March 13, 2010 9:57 AM
Is this your first full season being a Cubs fan Bob? We traded for Tom before the deadline last season. Pitching 3 innings of no hit ball is not a big deal. Benson is a bum and his wife causes trouble for him everywhere he goes. It is far better to keep your mouth shut and have people assume you are an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #473 on: March 14, 2010, 10:40:13 AM »
I only post on the Phil Rogers threads.

HumbleJerry

• Wallet Inspector
  • Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #474 on: March 14, 2010, 01:24:04 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 13, 2010, 11:58:07 AM
Andy, are you posting on the Tribune's site now?

"Andy on March 13, 2010 9:57 AM
It is far better to keep your mouth shut and have people assume you are an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Takes one to know one.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #475 on: March 15, 2010, 05:39:17 AM »
Quote from: Bort on March 12, 2010, 11:26:16 AM

I say: shoot him.

"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #476 on: March 15, 2010, 08:12:35 AM »
QuoteKevin Millar and Chad Tracy, both of whom were signed to minor league contracts, are likely competing for one spot on the Opening Day roster.

"We like both of them," said Cubs manager Lou Piniella. "The one problem we do have — it's not a problem, but something we need to address — is that (Xavier) Nady can't play too much in the outfield early. So we have to carry another outfielder. It's just a question of how we do it." So far this spring, Millar is 5-for-13 (.385) with one home run and three RBI while Tracy is 4-for-15 (.267) with one RBI. Piniella said one possible solution was to carry 11 pitchers, which would allow them to keep both Tracy and Millar, but that's fairly redundant.

From Rotoworld.

Fuck that noise.  Oh, is Tyler Colvin going to make this team on Opening Day?  He's pretty much mashing right now.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #477 on: March 15, 2010, 08:24:55 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on March 15, 2010, 08:12:35 AM
QuoteKevin Millar and Chad Tracy, both of whom were signed to minor league contracts, are likely competing for one spot on the Opening Day roster.

"We like both of them," said Cubs manager Lou Piniella. "The one problem we do have — it's not a problem, but something we need to address — is that (Xavier) Nady can't play too much in the outfield early. So we have to carry another outfielder. It's just a question of how we do it." So far this spring, Millar is 5-for-13 (.385) with one home run and three RBI while Tracy is 4-for-15 (.267) with one RBI. Piniella said one possible solution was to carry 11 pitchers, which would allow them to keep both Tracy and Millar, but that's fairly redundant.

From Rotoworld.

Fuck that noise.  Oh, is Tyler Colvin going to make this team on Opening Day?  He's pretty much mashing right now.

I like the idea of keeping 11 pitchers, but not for that reason.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #478 on: March 15, 2010, 08:47:16 AM »
Quote from: Eli on March 15, 2010, 08:24:55 AM

From Rotoworld.

I like the idea of keeping 11 pitchers, but not for that reason.

Mine is because there are barely 11 pitchers on the 40 man that I'd consider major league quality.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #479 on: March 15, 2010, 08:57:56 AM »

From Rotoworld.

I'd rather let Colvin head back down to AAA where he can keep playing every day. There's still a slim chance he could be a useful major leaguer...isn't there? Might as well keep the guy whose future is on the bench anyway (FULD). You can call Colvin up once Marlon waddles face-first into the ivory.