News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Spring Has Sprung 2010  ( 85,462 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Spring Has Sprung 2010
« Reply #570 on: March 22, 2010, 10:14:08 AM »
Quote from: R-V on March 22, 2010, 09:56:04 AM
So it looks like the bullpen is going to be full of young whippersnappers this year. Works for me. I'm sick of watching talentless old bastards like Howry and Heilman out there.

QuoteBullpen: Justin Berg and Esmailin Caridad are in, leaving four vying for one spot. Of course, as Piniella says, "assuming we don't do anything" via trade.

The four are lefties James Russell and John Gaub and right-handers Marcos Mateo and Mike Parisi.

Anyone I should prefer here? I remember hearing good things about Gaub last season, never heard of the other guys.

As for the rotation, it looks like Sloth and the cancerous lump known as Silva will start the season on the anus of the rotation.

QuoteThe fourth and fifth spots are open, although it appears lefty Tom Gorzelanny and right-hander Carlos Silva are the leaders right now. That puts lefty  Sean Marshall and right-hander  Jeff Samardzija in the bullpen.

Finally, GOD. DAMMIT.

QuoteRight now, it seems to be races between Kevin Millar and Chad Tracy for an infield spot and  Sam Fuld and Tyler Colvin for an outfield spot.

As for the bullpen, Mike Parisi's the rule 5 guy so he'll Patten his way onto the team. I've heard more about Gaub than the others but that might also be because he was from the DeRo the HeRo trade.

As far as Silva, as much as I hate him and want to see him die, I'm a little happy he's had a couple decent outings (had tightness in his last outing though. Quad, I believe). I'm not opposed to the Sloth. I love me some Marshall, but he has been a better bullpen guy than a starter.

Fuck Kevin Millar.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #571 on: March 22, 2010, 10:29:24 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 22, 2010, 10:14:08 AM
So it looks like the bullpen is going to be full of young whippersnappers this year. Works for me. I'm sick of watching talentless old bastards like Howry and Heilman out there.

QuoteBullpen: Justin Berg and Esmailin Caridad are in, leaving four vying for one spot. Of course, as Piniella says, "assuming we don't do anything" via trade.

The four are lefties James Russell and John Gaub and right-handers Marcos Mateo and Mike Parisi.

Anyone I should prefer here? I remember hearing good things about Gaub last season, never heard of the other guys.

As for the rotation, it looks like Sloth and the cancerous lump known as Silva will start the season on the anus of the rotation.

QuoteThe fourth and fifth spots are open, although it appears lefty Tom Gorzelanny and right-hander Carlos Silva are the leaders right now. That puts lefty  Sean Marshall and right-hander  Jeff Samardzija in the bullpen.

Finally, GOD. DAMMIT.

QuoteRight now, it seems to be races between Kevin Millar and Chad Tracy for an infield spot and  Sam Fuld and Tyler Colvin for an outfield spot.

As for the bullpen, Mike Parisi's the rule 5 guy so he'll Patten his way onto the team. I've heard more about Gaub than the others but that might also be because he was from the DeRo the HeRo trade.

As far as Silva, as much as I hate him and want to see him die, I'm a little happy he's had a couple decent outings (had tightness in his last outing though. Quad, I believe). I'm not opposed to the Sloth. I love me some Marshall, but he has been a better bullpen guy than a starter.

Fuck Kevin Millar.

I'll admit that I didn't see much of the Cubs in September last year due to extreme apathy but wasn't Caridad pretty decent? What are the expectations on this guy?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #572 on: March 22, 2010, 10:35:19 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 22, 2010, 10:29:24 AM
Quote from: Yeti on March 22, 2010, 10:14:08 AM

Finally, GOD. DAMMIT.

Fuck Kevin Millar.

I'll admit that I didn't see much of the Cubs in September last year due to extreme apathy but wasn't Caridad pretty decent? What are the expectations on this guy?

Yea. He had a 1.40 ERA, and for those who are statfaggy, his FIP was 2.27. Now this was just 19.1 innings so he could actually blow, but "expert" opinions have said he has the stuff and he's pretty good.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #573 on: March 22, 2010, 10:39:07 AM »
Who Is John Gaub?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #574 on: March 22, 2010, 10:39:43 AM »

Statistically, he kicked ass last year in limited innings: 1.40 ERA and .931 WHIP in 19 innings,
and all 3 of the runs he gave up were in his first two games.  At the same time, it was only
19 innings, it was mostly against shit teams, and his minor league numbers aren't very good.

I hope he's good, obviously, but I would bet on mid 3's to mid 4's ERA.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #575 on: March 22, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »
Quote from: Pre on March 22, 2010, 10:39:43 AM

Statistically, he kicked ass last year in limited innings: 1.40 ERA and .931 WHIP in 19 innings,
and all 3 of the runs he gave up were in his first two games.  At the same time, it was only
19 innings, it was mostly against shit teams, and his minor league numbers aren't very good.

Considering the overpaid assholes like Borb Howry and Fourthmeal were doing something similar to your projections, I'd take that any day from E-Mail Carrot Dad.

Ok, that's a horrible name. I'm starting to see ArrVee's excitement in a non life-threatening ailment kinda way.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #576 on: March 22, 2010, 10:56:22 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 22, 2010, 10:44:20 AM

Considering the overpaid assholes like Borb Howry and Fourthmeal were doing something similar to your projections, I'd take that any day from E-Mail Carrot Dad.

Ok, that's a horrible name. I'm starting to see ArrVee's excitement in a non life-threatening ailment kinda way.

You'll be Eh-smilin' when Caridad puts up a sub-3 ERA? [/worse than Fork]

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #577 on: March 22, 2010, 10:57:24 AM »

No.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #578 on: March 22, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on March 22, 2010, 10:57:24 AM

No.

IAN's naming his kid Esmailin, jerk.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #579 on: March 22, 2010, 11:27:20 AM »

Rosenbloom?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #580 on: March 22, 2010, 11:29:21 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 22, 2010, 11:27:20 AM

and all 3 of the runs he gave up were in his first two games.  At the same time, it was only

Rosenbloom?

That would have gone something like this:

EsFAILIN CariBAD.

That was easier than I thought.

EDIT: Also can be modified to He'sFailin VeryBad.

Next stop: my own Trib column.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #581 on: March 22, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 22, 2010, 11:29:21 AM

and all 3 of the runs he gave up were in his first two games.  At the same time, it was only

Rosenbloom?

EsFAILIN CariBAD.

How about AOL Fanhouse?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #582 on: March 22, 2010, 12:33:11 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on March 22, 2010, 11:50:31 AM

Rosenbloom?

EsFAILIN CariBAD.

How about AOL Fanhouse?

The door at Bleacher Report is always open.  Wide open.  Actually there's not even a door.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #583 on: March 22, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »
Quote from: Day Man on March 22, 2010, 12:33:11 PM

Rosenbloom?

EsFAILIN CariBAD.

How about AOL Fanhouse?

The door at Bleacher Report is always open.  Wide open.  Actually there's not even a door.

That and Huey's mom

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #584 on: March 22, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 22, 2010, 12:36:59 PM
Quote from: Day Man on March 22, 2010, 12:33:11 PM

Rosenbloom?

EsFAILIN CariBAD.

How about AOL Fanhouse?

That and Huey's mom

BOOM ROASTED
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?