News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Starlin Castro Unbridled Manlove with a Side Order of Sploogetasticism Thread  ( 96,950 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slack-E on February 24, 2010, 10:23:42 AM
Quote from: BH on February 24, 2010, 10:21:52 AM
Quote from: Yeti on February 24, 2010, 10:14:35 AM
Quote from: BH on February 24, 2010, 10:13:34 AM
I've hated Millar ever since Al said we "gotta get that guy" a few years ago for his clubhouse presence.

MY KUBBEEZ NEED TO KOWBOY UP IN 2010!

Few years ago? That gives him some credit for when Millar was a baseball player. Al suggested it after 2008.

I'll defer to you on any BCB related facts. 

Millar, I'm assuming, used to play the game the right way.
Have we heard any reports out of Spring Training on whether or not he still does?

What are the odds he slides headfirst into first base at least once during spring training?

And risk injury? Good idea. He's due for a career year in the clubhouse. A broken clavical could park his fat ass in there indefinitely. And we'd never have to see him. He could just entertain Derrek and Aramis while making Dempste extremely jealous - enough to pitch with a chip on his shoulder and kick some serious ass. Kow. Boi. Up.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slack-E on February 24, 2010, 10:23:42 AM
Quote from: BH on February 24, 2010, 10:21:52 AM
Quote from: Yeti on February 24, 2010, 10:14:35 AM
Quote from: BH on February 24, 2010, 10:13:34 AM
I've hated Millar ever since Al said we "gotta get that guy" a few years ago for his clubhouse presence.

MY KUBBEEZ NEED TO KOWBOY UP IN 2010!

Few years ago? That gives him some credit for when Millar was a baseball player. Al suggested it after 2008.

I'll defer to you on any BCB related facts. 

Millar, I'm assuming, used to play the game the right way.
Have we heard any reports out of Spring Training on whether or not he still does?

What are the odds he slides headfirst into first base at least once during spring training?

I put the over/under at 3 to 1.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on February 24, 2010, 10:09:53 AM
Quote from: Slack-E on February 24, 2010, 09:58:31 AM
Quote from: Pre on February 24, 2010, 09:56:44 AM
Quote from: BH on February 24, 2010, 09:45:59 AM
Left to right, 2010. Fontenot at short, Starlin at 2B.

QuoteBut the Cubs love the idea of having Millar around to be Millar, the life of the clubhouse.

Then hire him as a fucking ball boy.  I've never hated a Cub so completely before a single AB.

I hated him quite a bit when he was actually considered a major league caliber ballplayer. This is nothing new for me.

I trace my hatred to the seventh game of his MLB career.

I had a lot of other hate in my blood at the time: Rick Aguilera, Ed Lynch, Andy MacPhail, Sammy Sosa's clown act in right playing a double into a 3-run inside the park home run with 2 outs in the ninth, half of the members of the 1999 Cubs, so little did I know I would continue hating him for 11 more years.

I vented this very thing in the ShoutBox a few weeks ago.  ThrillSignal even found me what I was looking for--proof that his asshattery even pissed off the guy for whom he's supposedly going to be playing behind--Derreck Lee--during that '99 season.  
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: MAD on February 24, 2010, 10:28:11 AM
Quote from: Brownie on February 24, 2010, 10:09:53 AM
Quote from: Slack-E on February 24, 2010, 09:58:31 AM
Quote from: Pre on February 24, 2010, 09:56:44 AM
Quote from: BH on February 24, 2010, 09:45:59 AM
Left to right, 2010. Fontenot at short, Starlin at 2B.

QuoteBut the Cubs love the idea of having Millar around to be Millar, the life of the clubhouse.

Then hire him as a fucking ball boy.  I've never hated a Cub so completely before a single AB.

I hated him quite a bit when he was actually considered a major league caliber ballplayer. This is nothing new for me.

I trace my hatred to the seventh game of his MLB career.

I had a lot of other hate in my blood at the time: Rick Aguilera, Ed Lynch, Andy MacPhail, Sammy Sosa's clown act in right playing a double into a 3-run inside the park home run with 2 outs in the ninth, half of the members of the 1999 Cubs, so little did I know I would continue hating him for 11 more years.

I vented this very thing in the ShoutBox a few weeks ago.  ThrillSignal even found me what I was looking for--proof that his asshattery even pissed off the guy for whom he's supposedly going to be playing behind--Derreck Lee--during that '99 season.  

What Huey means to say is: "I trace my hatred to his time with the AAA Calgary Cannons":

QuoteBrash bush-leaguer

Florida Marlins prospect Kevin Millar failed to make the club's major-league roster for the second spring in a row this year, but he probably made some organizational enemies when he popped off to the Calgary Herald after hitting a home run to lead the red-hot Triple-A Calgary Cannons to a 13-12 victory last week.

`I'm calling ESPN," Millar said. "We're challenging the Marlins to a seven-game series, and the winner stays. We'd beat them in six games."

The Marlins are taking enough heat from the rest of the baseball world for their lackluster performance again this year, so the tongue-in-cheek comments touched a nerve.

"If it's accurate, it's an inappropriate comment," said Marlins GM Dave Dombrowski, "but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as to whether or not he said it."

Millar, perhaps realizing that he had gone too far, called Dombrowski and manager John Boles to apologize and insist that the quotes were taken out of context.

Later, Millar got the call up, with Lee getting sent down to Calgary.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Not included:  Derriek Lee being all asshurt at the guy who he now refers to as "funniest man I've met".

He's a chodefart and he'll be loved here.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Are the multiple variant spellings of Lee's first name intentional or due to a new HUEYBOARD?
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Jon on February 24, 2010, 11:30:06 AM
Are the multiple variant spellings of Lee's first name intentional or due to a new HUEYBOARD?

Side effects to MILLAR RAGE.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: MAD on February 24, 2010, 11:31:06 AM

Fucking scabs will do that to ya.

SCAB!!
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Gilgamesh on February 24, 2010, 11:58:38 AM

SCAB!!

Are you accusing Huey of cheating on his wife with Kevin Millar?

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Oleg on February 24, 2010, 12:08:26 PM

SCAB!!

That's EXACTLY what I'm doing.  You got that, Huey!  I'm calling you out.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Gilgamesh on February 24, 2010, 12:11:59 PM

SCAB!!

That's EXACTLY what I'm doing.  You got that, Huey!  I'm calling you out.

I'm trying to cover up my affair with Kevin Millar by HATING HIM WITH EVERY INCH OF MY BLACK SOUL?

I'll go with it.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

SCAB!!

Why would a clubhouse celebrity like Millar spend time with Huey?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Hey old guys: was Garry Templeton any good?

QuoteIt's clear that the Cubs prospect is Reyes' inferior; Baseball America would rank Reyes its third overall prospect after the 2002 season, while Castro came in at 16 when the magazine released their list yesterday. Reyes displayed more patience and more power, Castro a better knack for contact. What interests me is the comparison between Templeton and Castro – both were impatient contact hitters with questionable power profiles.

QuoteTempleton never developed home run power, he never developed patience, and when his speed started to go (and the BABIP with it), Templeton was no longer a useful player. Using the WAR historical database, we see that Templeton was 25.2 wins above replacement player in his 16-year career. I think Castro can be better than this (he's already a little more patient than Templeton, and walks are preached more than ever nowadays), though his four-year peak of 14 WAR seems appropriate.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on February 24, 2010, 12:39:33 PM

QuoteIt's clear that the Cubs prospect is Reyes' inferior; Baseball America would rank Reyes its third overall prospect after the 2002 season, while Castro came in at 16 when the magazine released their list yesterday. Reyes displayed more patience and more power, Castro a better knack for contact. What interests me is the comparison between Templeton and Castro – both were impatient contact hitters with questionable power profiles.

QuoteTempleton never developed home run power, he never developed patience, and when his speed started to go (and the BABIP with it), Templeton was no longer a useful player. Using the WAR historical database, we see that Templeton was 25.2 wins above replacement player in his 16-year career. I think Castro can be better than this (he's already a little more patient than Templeton, and walks are preached more than ever nowadays), though his four-year peak of 14 WAR seems appropriate.

I'll be sure to let you all know how good he is after I take a look at his career after it's over.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on February 24, 2010, 12:39:33 PM

Garry's comparable players.
  1. Dick Groat (911)
  2. Royce Clayton (909)
  3. Dave Bancroft (879) *
  4. Roger Peckinpaugh (875)
  5. Dick Bartell (873)
  6. Tony Taylor (870)
  7. Jack Glasscock (868)
  8. Bill Russell (863)
  9. Orlando Cabrera (860)
 10. Joe Tinker (860) *

* - Signifies Hall of Famer

His nickname was "Jumpsteady". I'm sure Huey can come up with a good nickname off this for Castro.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/templga01.shtml