News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Starlin Castro Unbridled Manlove with a Side Order of Sploogetasticism Thread  ( 96,941 )

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Garry Templeton was the "ringleader" of the "We're down 2-0...we're not out of it" crowd after San Diego lost their first two games during the 1984 NLCS.  My lasting image of him is of him riling up that crowd of surfing asshats before Game 3.

He may well be best known, widely, as the guy that San Diego felt was worth the price of Ozzie Smith.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: BH on February 24, 2010, 12:42:52 PM
Quote from: R-V on February 24, 2010, 12:39:33 PM
Hey old guys: was Garry Templeton any good?

QuoteIt's clear that the Cubs prospect is Reyes' inferior; Baseball America would rank Reyes its third overall prospect after the 2002 season, while Castro came in at 16 when the magazine released their list yesterday. Reyes displayed more patience and more power, Castro a better knack for contact. What interests me is the comparison between Templeton and Castro – both were impatient contact hitters with questionable power profiles.

QuoteTempleton never developed home run power, he never developed patience, and when his speed started to go (and the BABIP with it), Templeton was no longer a useful player. Using the WAR historical database, we see that Templeton was 25.2 wins above replacement player in his 16-year career. I think Castro can be better than this (he's already a little more patient than Templeton, and walks are preached more than ever nowadays), though his four-year peak of 14 WAR seems appropriate.

Garry's comparable players.
  1. Dick Groat (911)
  2. Royce Clayton (909)
  3. Dave Bancroft (879) *
  4. Roger Peckinpaugh (875)
  5. Dick Bartell (873)
  6. Tony Taylor (870)
   7. Jack Glasscock (868)
  8. Bill Russell (863)
  9. Orlando Cabrera (860)
 10. Joe Tinker (860) *

* - Signifies Hall of Famer

His nickname was "Jumpsteady". I'm sure Huey can come up with a good nickname off this for Castro.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/templga01.shtml

DPD. 

Heh heh.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: MAD on February 24, 2010, 12:56:59 PM

QuoteIt's clear that the Cubs prospect is Reyes' inferior; Baseball America would rank Reyes its third overall prospect after the 2002 season, while Castro came in at 16 when the magazine released their list yesterday. Reyes displayed more patience and more power, Castro a better knack for contact. What interests me is the comparison between Templeton and Castro – both were impatient contact hitters with questionable power profiles.

QuoteTempleton never developed home run power, he never developed patience, and when his speed started to go (and the BABIP with it), Templeton was no longer a useful player. Using the WAR historical database, we see that Templeton was 25.2 wins above replacement player in his 16-year career. I think Castro can be better than this (he's already a little more patient than Templeton, and walks are preached more than ever nowadays), though his four-year peak of 14 WAR seems appropriate.

1. Dick Groat (911)
  2. Royce Clayton (909)
  3. Dave Bancroft (879) *
  5. Dick Bartell (873)
  6. Tony Taylor (870)
   7. Jack Glasscock (868)
  8. Bill Russell (863)
  9. Orlando Cabrera (860)
 10. Joe Tinker (860) *

His nickname was "Jumpsteady". I'm sure Huey can come up with a good nickname off this for Castro.

DPD. 

Heh heh.

Starlin Glasscock?

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

1. Dick Groat (911)
  2. Royce Clayton (909)
  3. Dave Bancroft (879) *
  5. Dick Bartell (873)
  6. Tony Taylor (870)
  7. Jack Glasscock (868)
  8. Bill Russell (863)
  9. Orlando Cabrera (860)
 10. Joe Tinker (860) *

DPD.  

Heh heh.

That list is rife with phallicism.

Dick Groat?  Dave Bancroft? Roger Peckinpaugh?  Dick Bartell?

Bill James is a pervert.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: MAD on February 24, 2010, 12:58:54 PM

1. Dick Groat (911)
  2. Royce Clayton (909)
  3. Dave Bancroft (879) *
  5. Dick Bartell (873)
  6. Tony Taylor (870)
  7. Jack Glasscock (868)
  8. Bill Russell (863)
  9. Orlando Cabrera (860)
 10. Joe Tinker (860) *

DPD.  

Heh heh.

Bill James is a pervert.

HAAAA!!! Get it? Dave Bancroft? I don't.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 24, 2010, 01:16:17 PM

1. Dick Groat (911)
  2. Royce Clayton (909)
  3. Dave Bancroft (879) *
  5. Dick Bartell (873)
  6. Tony Taylor (870)
  7. Jack Glasscock (868)
  8. Bill Russell (863)
  9. Orlando Cabrera (860)
 10. Joe Tinker (860) *

DPD.  

Heh heh.

Bill James is a pervert.

Suck my Bancroft, pal.

When you say it it sounds like "bang".  Banging typically involves hard weiners.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: MAD on February 24, 2010, 01:23:08 PM

1. Dick Groat (911)
  2. Royce Clayton (909)
  3. Dave Bancroft (879) *
  5. Dick Bartell (873)
  6. Tony Taylor (870)
  7. Jack Glasscock (868)
  8. Bill Russell (863)
  9. Orlando Cabrera (860)
 10. Joe Tinker (860) *

DPD.  

Heh heh.

Bill James is a pervert.

Suck my Bancroft, pal.

When you say it it sounds like "bang".  Banging typically involves hard weiners.

Ban Croft, let's see. Add nasally Chicago assclown inflection: BAYANGCRAFT? I guess.

And Croft, as we all know is German for, "The Crank of Christ," which usually involves Chris Getz.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: MAD on February 24, 2010, 01:23:08 PM

1. Dick Groat (911)
  2. Royce Clayton (909)
  3. Dave Bancroft (879) *
  5. Dick Bartell (873)
  6. Tony Taylor (870)
  7. Jack Glasscock (868)
  8. Bill Russell (863)
  9. Orlando Cabrera (860)
 10. Joe Tinker (860) *

DPD.  

Heh heh.

Bill James is a pervert.

Suck my Bancroft, pal.

When you say it it sounds like "bang".  Banging typically involves hard weiners.

That's quite a stretch. Good effort though.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

1. Dick Groat (911)
  2. Royce Clayton (909)
  3. Dave Bancroft (879) *
  5. Dick Bartell (873)
  6. Tony Taylor (870)
  7. Jack Glasscock (868)
  8. Bill Russell (863)
  9. Orlando Cabrera (860)
 10. Joe Tinker (860) *

DPD.  

Heh heh.

Bill James is a pervert.

Here I was thinking the word "Dave" was funny.  Shows you what I know.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
I have always gotten a titter out of "Gevertztrameiner"
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
I also get a titter out of "Titter"
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
I see nothing wrong with comparing a 19 year old's minor league stats with those of major leaguers with long careers and coming up with such a comparison.

It's science.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

1. Dick Groat (911)
  2. Royce Clayton (909)
  3. Dave Bancroft (879) *
  5. Dick Bartell (873)
  6. Tony Taylor (870)
   7. Jack Glasscock (868)
  8. Bill Russell (863)
  9. Orlando Cabrera (860)
 10. Joe Tinker (860) *

DPD. 

Heh heh.

I was sick for half a fucking day.  Where were Tank and Jon on this?  How many potential Simpson's references fell by the wayside in my absence?

Anyway, I'm just glad Mr. Glasscock was able to catch on with a major league team after he left the teaching profession.

Dave Bancroft, indeed.  You've all got some serious boning to do.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: CT III on February 26, 2010, 12:37:22 AM

1. Dick Groat (911)
  2. Royce Clayton (909)
  3. Dave Bancroft (879) *
  5. Dick Bartell (873)
  6. Tony Taylor (870)
   7. Jack Glasscock (868)
  8. Bill Russell (863)
  9. Orlando Cabrera (860)
 10. Joe Tinker (860) *

DPD. 

Heh heh.

I was sick for half a fucking day.  Where were Tank and Jon on this?  How many potential Simpson's references fell by the wayside in my absence?

Anyway, I'm just glad Mr. Glasscock was able to catch on with a major league team after he left the teaching profession.

Dave Bancroft, indeed.  You've all got some serious boning to do.

Sure, we have order.

But at what price?!
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
What nineteenth century figure was named "Old Hickory"?