News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Starlin Castro Unbridled Manlove with a Side Order of Sploogetasticism Thread  ( 96,957 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on October 01, 2015, 10:32:38 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 01, 2015, 08:53:44 PM
I'm not too worried about the health of either guy. Aren't there studies showing that guys who are healthy up until a certain age/innings level tend to remain healthy for most of their careers? Maybe I'm making that up.

Oh sure...it's okay when YOU do it.

Quote from: Canadouche on October 01, 2015, 09:00:44 PM
As a counterpoint -- and I could be making this up --

Look what you've done

I could be making this up, but did Javy Baez suck today or what!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on October 01, 2015, 08:53:44 PM
Quote from: R-V on October 01, 2015, 01:11:29 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 01, 2015, 12:54:48 PM
DPD, but say the Cubs can offer Castro and some prospects to get Ross or Carrasco or one of the young Rays starters. Then you could sign a guy like Mike Leake for far less than Price would cost, and use the leftover money to keep Fowler, shore up the bullpen, etc. That's not just the Cubs being too cheap to go after Price or whatever, that's arguably a better way to build the roster and ensure you're not dependent on a rotation with four guys over 30 in it.

Going back to Eli's Felix Hernandez idea/fantasy - which largely depends on whether or not Dipoto wants to do a complete teardown - I was taking a look at his numbers compared to Price, and they're strikingly similar (including age) with one exception. First 4 stats are over the last 5 years; the last one is a career total. Should the fact that Felix has thrown that many more major league pitches make my ass itch? Or are all pitches (college/minors/majors) created relatively equal from an arm-stress standpoint?

Price
8.8  K/9
1.9  BB/9
2.98 FIP
3.13 xFIP
1441 major league IP

Felix
8.9  K/9
2.2  BB/9
2.96 FIP
2.97 xFIP
2262 major league IP

I think some part of that was Felix hitting the bigs at 19 and Price having a full college career. I don't think it covers the whole gap, but Price was still throwing through those years.

I'm not too worried about the health of either guy. Aren't there studies showing that guys who are healthy up until a certain age/innings level tend to remain healthy for most of their careers? Maybe I'm making that up.

Perfect timing, Sahadev.

QuoteThe Injury Nexus was something Nate Silver explored over a dozen years ago. The basic premise is that if a pitcher can get past the age of roughly 24 without suffering a serious injury, their chances of them suffering recurring injuries down the line reduces significantly. Every bit of information I found on the topic of pitch counts pointed to young pitchers being at greatest risk. As Passan pointed out, that isn't to say that once you get to the age of 25 and plow past it to 30 without any injury that you're safe. Bronson Arroyo says hello and Greg Holland would like to have a word with you. Nothing is guaranteed here.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
There isn't a large enough font size...

FYC!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Intrepid Reader: Chuck

"Priorities."
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Starlin trolled on that last play. Then he pranced through the handshake line like it was his fucking birthday. His reaction to Rizzo's homer was incredible.

This is Starlin's team, I think.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on October 12, 2015, 10:26:07 PM
Starlin trolled on that last play. Then he pranced through the handshake line like it was his fucking birthday. His reaction to Rizzo's homer was incredible.

Fuck TBS for not giving us a single Castro walkup.

Jagoffs.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

He definitely made me liquid poop.

He deserves a ton of credit. He started this year like a flat out bum. But he has done a massive 180 and turned his year around and so go the Cubs. I don't think it's Starlin's team; that seems to be Rizzo's thing. But if Rizzo is President, Starlin is definitely VP.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on October 13, 2015, 08:01:01 AM

He deserves a ton of credit. He started this year like a flat out bum. But he has done a massive 180 and turned his year around and so go the Cubs. I don't think it's Starlin's team; that seems to be Rizzo's thing. But if Rizzo is President, Starlin is definitely VP.

I think Rizzo is the leader in a lot of ways, but I think, hilariously enough for all that it irritates the shit out of old white people and especially the BFIB, Starlin's attitude has set the tone. They goof off. They have fun. They smile. They celebrate wildly. They pose on their home runs. I think Starlin really solidified that when nothing about his attitude changed when he got benched. He was still having fun every day. His jump and twirl on the final out of Jake's no hitter is one of my favorite memories of this year.

He's their heart, I'd say.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on October 13, 2015, 08:05:36 AM

I think Rizzo is the leader in a lot of ways, but I think, hilariously enough for all that it irritates the shit out of old white people and especially the BFIB, Starlin's attitude has set the tone. They goof off. They have fun. They smile. They celebrate wildly. They pose on their home runs. I think Starlin really solidified that when nothing about his attitude changed when he got benched. He was still having fun every day. His jump and twirl on the final out of Jake's no hitter is one of my favorite memories of this year.

And if team chemistry is a thing, moving him at the deadline could have really fucked with it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tony on October 13, 2015, 08:25:52 AM

And if team chemistry is a thing, moving him at the deadline could have really fucked with it.

I think what you're all trying to say is "FYC."
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

For the tenth time that day

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I actually wonder how much of what is happening started with the team rallying around him once he lost his jorb and everyone thought he was headed out the door. The whole hand clapping during his walkup thing started right around that time, if I'm not mistaken.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

That one's right up there with Castro's shadowing Kris Bryant's throwing routine for me.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: D. Doluntap on October 13, 2015, 01:19:11 PM

Haha, look at the stinkface on Castro.