News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Arkham Asylum (and a possible sequel)  ( 4,656 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Arkham Asylum (and a possible sequel)
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:44:06 AM »
Did anyone else play this game? Rented it from Gamefly and I'm at the last battle with Joker. Easily one of the best/coolest games I've ever played. The fighting system is incredible when you finally learn that it doesn't pay to button mash. When you land a huge combo the action is insane. The Scarecrow stuff was also ultra-creepy and very well done. Batman looks like an absolute badass or basically the direct opposite of what George Clooney looked like as Batman.

Fantastic game.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Arkham Asylum (and a possible sequel)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »
Quote from: Slack-E on February 24, 2010, 09:44:06 AM
Did anyone else play this game? Rented it from Gamefly and I'm at the last battle with Joker. Easily one of the best/coolest games I've ever played. The fighting system is incredible when you finally learn that it doesn't pay to button mash. When you land a huge combo the action is insane. The Scarecrow stuff was also ultra-creepy and very well done. Batman looks like an absolute badass or basically the direct opposite of what George Clooney looked like as Batman.

Fantastic game.

My friend let me borrow it and it's been sitting on my shelf for about 3 months now.  When I finally started playing games against last month, it was for Mass Effect 2, and now I haven't gotten around to starting up Batman.  I assume this will continue because of The Show coming out next week and Final Fantasy XIII the week after that.

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:53:15 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 24, 2010, 09:50:09 AM

Fantastic game.

My friend let me borrow it and it's been sitting on my shelf for about 3 months now.  When I finally started playing games against last month, it was for Mass Effect 2, and now I haven't gotten around to starting up Batman.  I assume this will continue because of The Show coming out next week and Final Fantasy XIII the week after that.

This a great update.  Is there anything else that you're NOT doing that you would like us to know about?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:54:12 AM »

Fantastic game.

Just play it - it's enjoyable as hell and it won't take terribly long to finish. They say it's a 12 hour story but I assume that's for people that aren't bumbling retards like me.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:01:09 AM »
Quote from: Slack-E on February 24, 2010, 09:54:12 AM

Fantastic game.

Just play it - it's enjoyable as hell and it won't take terribly long to finish. They say it's a 12 hour story but I assume that's for people that aren't bumbling retards like me.

I started playing Lost Odyssey the other day, but that takes something like 60 hours to beat.  I should just stop playing that and try to finish Batman before The Show comes out next week.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:06:18 AM »
I haven't beat the game yet. I think I might be at the final fight against the joker but I haven't gone to where ever I need to go yet (it's been 3 months since I've played so I'm a little rusty on the details). I was going to try to find all the hidden things and figure out the riddles first. The game itself is fun and pretty cool to play. My one critique is about the best thing in the game: That Batvision thing. It was a great addition and I like using it, but it is so good that I find myself playing the whole entire game with it on. Now, this is a minor complaint, but it's just weird. When I kill most people, I have no idea what they actually look like as all I see is (I believe this is right) a red outline of the character.. Beyond that, the game is fun and I do like it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 24, 2010, 10:06:18 AM
I haven't beat the game yet. I think I might be at the final fight against the joker but I haven't gone to where ever I need to go yet (it's been 3 months since I've played so I'm a little rusty on the details). I was going to try to find all the hidden things and figure out the riddles first. The game itself is fun and pretty cool to play. My one critique is about the best thing in the game: That Batvision thing. It was a great addition and I like using it, but it is so good that I find myself playing the whole entire game with it on. Now, this is a minor complaint, but it's just weird. When I kill most people, I have no idea what they actually look like as all I see is (I believe this is right) a red outline of the character.. Beyond that, the game is fun and I do like it.

I have it on when I'm trying to find an alternate route or make sure there aren't any armed dudes left, otherwise I have it off. My favorite part of the game, and the most difficult so far, is when you're entering Joker's party and there are 16 thugs applauding you as you walk down the corridor. They wont attack you unless you attack first so you have the option to walk on through to meet the Joker - however if you manage to beat them all down, you get an achievement. Since I love those damn things, I tried and tried to take them all on.

In the end, you have to use the explosive gel and knock them all down and knock a few guys out while they're on the ground and then take on the rest of the room. You'll get killed if you don't mind your countering so you have to really be patient and not just hit buttons like a jerkoff. It took a while but getting it done was very satisfying.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 12:02:34 PM »

Fantastic game.

I figure I'm probably 2/3 of the way through this one, and I agree.  It's terrific.  I was sidetracked by Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed, but I'll definitely go back to this one and finish it up as soon as possible.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 01:17:43 PM »
One of the bosses in Lost Odyssey pissed me off, so I'm done with that for a while.  I loaded up Arkham Asylum, and even though I played the demo back when it came out, I completely forgot how awesome the presentation is in this game.  It goes toe-to-toe with BioShock for introducing a setting that's just as much of a "character" as anyone in the game.  Also, Luke Skywalker is awesome as Joker.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 24, 2010, 01:17:43 PM
One of the bosses in Lost Odyssey pissed me off, so I'm done with that for a while.  I loaded up Arkham Asylum, and even though I played the demo back when it came out, I completely forgot how awesome the presentation is in this game.  It goes toe-to-toe with BioShock for introducing a setting that's just as much of a "character" as anyone in the game.  Also, Luke Skywalker is awesome as Joker.

Yep - the voice work in this one is all of the people from that cartoon that I watched when I was a kid. Fabulous stuff.

I don't know much about the sequel (which is definitely happening) but I can't help but wonder how great this engine would be if taken out of the context of Arkham and into Gotham itself.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 02:10:30 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on February 24, 2010, 02:03:13 PM

Yep - the voice work in this one is all of the people from that cartoon that I watched when I was a kid. Fabulous stuff.

I don't know much about the sequel (which is definitely happening) but I can't help but wonder how great this engine would be if taken out of the context of Arkham and into Gotham itself.

I'm pretty sure the game is using Unreal Engine 3, so it should do just fine with almost any environment.  Gears of War 2 could handle exterior locations, so I'm sure this one can too.  I'm actually through about 550 pages of a book about learning Unreal 3, and just with what's available for the free development kit, it has the capability to create some awesome looking environments.  My only problem with Unreal is that most games you play, for a reason I'm not really sure of yet, have those super-muscular-looking character models like Gears of War.  Sure, they're really detailed and look kind of cool, but not when every character in the game has the exact same body structure.  At least they pretty much only made Batman look like that in this game.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 24, 2010, 02:10:30 PM

I'm pretty sure the game is using Unreal Engine 3, so it should do just fine with almost any environment.  Gears of War 2 could handle exterior locations, so I'm sure this one can too.  I'm actually through about 550 pages of a book about learning Unreal 3, and just with what's available for the free development kit, it has the capability to create some awesome looking environments.  My only problem with Unreal is that most games you play, for a reason I'm not really sure of yet, have those super-muscular-looking character models like Gears of War.  Sure, they're really detailed and look kind of cool, but not when every character in the game has the exact same body structure.  At least they pretty much only made Batman look like that in this game.

I wasn't questioning the ability of the developers to make this happen, more hoping they would take the story for the sequel in that direction. No offense to Arkham but another game in the same place would be less than interesting.

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 04:47:11 PM »
I got it for Xmas and played a bit but haven't really gotten into it.  I liked it, just don't have that couch time to really play it.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 08:46:03 AM »

Weebs is reading a book about Unreal.  Anyone want to take this one?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 08:48:50 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on February 25, 2010, 08:46:03 AM

Weebs is reading a book about Unreal.  Anyone want to take this one?

It's about as realistic as it gets.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"