News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,089 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #795 on: August 17, 2015, 11:46:22 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 17, 2015, 11:13:02 AM
Quote from: Bort on August 17, 2015, 09:56:27 AM

Or we can give up on this shit-for-brains discussion.

Or at least wait till The Cubs win something before cementing The Great Epstink Legacy?

How dare you.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #796 on: August 17, 2015, 01:22:12 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 08:37:08 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 17, 2015, 08:27:53 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 07:26:56 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 17, 2015, 03:10:13 AM
Professionally, I can't see Theo leaving things as they are. His work isn't done.

I could see it, if only because he may want to see his pal Jed finally get the credit, having built a base for sustained success.

Look, I'm really happy with everything Theo Epstein has done here, and I'm sure he's an OK guy. But he's never been particularly long on humility.

Yeah but if the Cubs win the series this year, or next year, or in 2017 or 2018 after Theo leaves, he's going to get the credit. This will always be the team that Theo built. Leaving just ensures that maybe people will at least remember that Jed did some of it, too.

Ok I'll say it: This is just dumb. If everyone else will remember this is the team Theo built, why would he leave early just so five of those people might remember Jed Hoyer's name? When has that ever happened, ever, and why would Theo of all people (remember the butthurt gorilla suit?) be the one to do it? I'll give you that Theo likes Hoyer way more than Lucchino but still.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #797 on: August 17, 2015, 01:23:28 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 17, 2015, 09:25:01 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 09:21:53 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 17, 2015, 09:20:04 AM
Quote from: Eli on August 17, 2015, 08:53:39 AM
Professionally, I can't see Theo leaving things as they are. His work isn't done.

I could see it, if only because he may want to see his pal Jed finally get the credit, having built a base for sustained success.

Look, I'm really happy with everything Theo Epstein has done here, and I'm sure he's an OK guy. But he's never been particularly long on humility.

Yeah but if the Cubs win the series this year, or next year, or in 2017 or 2018 after Theo leaves, he's going to get the credit. This will always be the team that Theo built. Leaving just ensures that maybe people will at least remember that Jed did some of it, too.

I don't think he's going to ride off into the sunset to play golf just to give his buddy a shot at the spotlight. People like him are way too driven.

He wouldn't go play golf. He'd go do something like be the president of HBO or something.  Go look at a guy like Mark Shapiro for the model.
.....did you think that Mark Shapiro is the one that's currently the president of the Indians? Or did you just randomly pick a TV sports executive?

No, I picked the guy that used to work at ESPN, invented Sports Century, then ran an in-person consumer entertainment company, who left to run sports media.

From an customer economic model standpoint, amusement parks and sports teams are very similar.

And he grew up with my sister.

Well, let's just step aside for the man who bestowed SportsCentury upon us all.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #798 on: August 17, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 17, 2015, 01:22:12 PM

Ok I'll say it: This is just dumb. If everyone else will remember this is the team Theo built, why would he leave early just so five of those people might remember Jed Hoyer's name? When has that ever happened, ever, and why would Theo of all people (remember the butthurt gorilla suit?) be the one to do it? I'll give you that Theo likes Hoyer way more than Lucchino but still.

I have no idea? I don't think this will happen. I just know he handpicked Jed Hoyer so if he does leave it's probably because he thinks Jed can run the whole show and maybe he's just fucking bored or something. My point, which was poorly expressed, was that if Theo does leave I don't think it'll be Ricketts fault, it'll just be because he wants to do something else.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #799 on: August 17, 2015, 01:37:21 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 01:26:52 PM

I have no idea? I don't think this will happen. I just know he handpicked Jed Hoyer so if he does leave it's probably because he thinks Jed can run the whole show and maybe he's just fucking bored or something. My point, which was poorly expressed, was that if Theo does leave I don't think it'll be Ricketts fault, it'll just be because he wants to do something else.

I'd entertain this - here, Jed, let's see what you can do with it - after a World Series title, but before? I don't think there's any way he leaves voluntarily until he's won at least one, unless Ricketts is just entirely unreasonable, like he insists Theo run all draft picks by Crane Kenney or something. Remember his Bill Walsh "ten years per team" timeline too.

As for the here and now I agree it's not going to be Ricketts' fault because there's no question he'll offer enough money.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #800 on: August 17, 2015, 01:43:09 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 17, 2015, 01:37:21 PM

I'd entertain this - here, Jed, let's see what you can do with it - after a World Series title, but before? I don't think there's any way he leaves voluntarily until he's won at least one, unless Ricketts is just entirely unreasonable, like he insists Theo run all draft picks by Crane Kenney or something. Remember his Bill Walsh "ten years per team" timeline too.

As for the here and now I agree it's not going to be Ricketts' fault because there's no question he'll offer enough money.

Yeah I don't really see him leaving next year if they haven't won it all, but I could absolutely see him walking out at a high point and leaving it all to Jed if they do. At that point, for a guy as accomplished as Theo, he could only take a hit to his legacy (albeit small) by staying. This core will eventually have an off year or bad year and miss the playoffs or whatever and because this fanbase and media sucks some idiots will complain, and he'll undoubtedly say "Jesus Christ, why am I still dealing with Gordon fucking Wittenmyer? I don't need this."
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #801 on: August 17, 2015, 01:45:22 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 01:43:09 PM

Yeah I don't really see him leaving next year if they haven't won it all, but I could absolutely see him walking out at a high point and leaving it all to Jed if they do. At that point, for a guy as accomplished as Theo, he could only take a hit to his legacy (albeit small) by staying. This core will eventually have an off year or bad year and miss the playoffs or whatever and because this fanbase and media sucks some idiots will complain, and he'll undoubtedly say "Jesus Christ, why am I still dealing with Gordon fucking Wittenmyer? I don't need this."

Once the Cubs win the World Series, maybe Theo moves on. But he's going to get paid more than one fuckload of money by the Ricketts family to stick around, and it's Crane's job to deal with Gordo.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #802 on: August 17, 2015, 01:51:18 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 01:43:09 PM

What the fuck kind of weird conspiracy shit are you concocting in your free time?

1. Let's wait till The Cubs win before we talk about any sort of collapses.
2. He's had 4 years of Gordo and it hasn't run him out of town yet so how would dealing with an insufferable Gordo after winning a WS accomplish that?
3. If The Cubs win a WS in the next couple of year, you really think one bad year will tarnish his legacy?  Frankly, seeing how Ditka is treated, if Theo wins a WS he could kill 14 hobos and he'll never pay for a dinner or drink in Chicago again.

There's no chance Theo goes anywhere.  He came to Chicago for a reason.  It's not to just leave when things are getting good.  But, things aren't that good yet...so...nope.  Theo's not going anywhere.  Furthermore, I'm not so sure that Hoyer is just going to be handed an MLB team presidentship just because Theo thinks he should be the successor (and I have no idea where that idea comes from).

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #803 on: August 17, 2015, 02:16:07 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 17, 2015, 01:51:18 PM
What the fuck kind of weird conspiracy shit are you concocting in your free time?

2. He's had 4 years of Gordo and it hasn't run him out of town yet so how would dealing with an insufferable Gordo after winning a WS accomplish that?
3. If The Cubs win a WS in the next couple of year, you really think one bad year will tarnish his legacy?  Frankly, seeing how Ditka is treated, if Theo wins a WS he could kill 14 hobos and he'll never pay for a dinner or drink in Chicago again.

There's no chance Theo goes anywhere.  He came to Chicago for a reason.  It's not to just leave when things are getting good.  But, things aren't that good yet...so...nope.  Theo's not going anywhere.  Furthermore, I'm not so sure that Hoyer is just going to be handed an MLB team presidentship just because Theo thinks he should be the successor (and I have no idea where that idea comes from).

You guys really overreacted to the Gordo joke. It was just a joke about Gordo being bad.

Anyways, I'm not jinxing a championsip or predicting a collapse or whatever. The whole thing started because someone said "there's no way Ricketts let's him walk, is there?"

My answer to that was "no, Ricketts won't let him get away, but maybe Theo would just want to leave anyway." The contract isn't up till after next year, so we're not talking about right now when they haven't accomplished anything yet.

My hypothetical was that maybe he'd ride off into the sunset if, at the end of 2016, they HAVE won a title and he decides he wants to see what the next challenge is. It's entirely possible he'd see "maintaining the Cubs dynasty" as something he's already done in Boston and want to see what else is out there, then again he might just take a fuckton of money to stay. Then I made bad jokes about Gordon Wittenmyer.

Anyways, this is a dumb conversation. All I meant to say was "I dunno, maybe?" to "Will Theo leave?" because, well, I dunno, maybe?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #804 on: August 17, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 02:16:07 PM

You guys really overreacted to the Gordo joke. It was just a joke about Gordo being bad.

Anyways, I'm not jinxing a championsip or predicting a collapse or whatever. The whole thing started because someone said "there's no way Ricketts let's him walk, is there?"

My answer to that was "no, Ricketts won't let him get away, but maybe Theo would just want to leave anyway." The contract isn't up till after next year, so we're not talking about right now when they haven't accomplished anything yet.

My hypothetical was that maybe he'd ride off into the sunset if, at the end of 2016, they HAVE won a title and he decides he wants to see what the next challenge is. Then I made bad jokes about Gordon Wittenmyer.

Anyways, this is a dumb conversation. All I meant to say was "I dunno, maybe?" to "Will Theo leave?" because, well, I dunno, maybe?

That was me, I have a name, but I also didn't derp it with a typo.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #805 on: August 17, 2015, 02:23:17 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 17, 2015, 02:22:02 PM

My hypothetical was that maybe he'd ride off into the sunset if, at the end of 2016, they HAVE won a title and he decides he wants to see what the next challenge is. Then I made bad jokes about Gordon Wittenmyer.

That was me, I have a name, but I also didn't derp it with a typo.

I can't be expected to go back two whole pages, man. This is a hobby, not work.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #806 on: August 17, 2015, 02:26:50 PM »
Anyways, this is a dumb conversation.

Hmm.  Who was it who forced his way to the front seat, grabbed the wheel, and crashed it in the ditch toward Crazytown?  I can't be expected to remember what happened ten minutes ago, man.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #807 on: August 17, 2015, 02:29:39 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 17, 2015, 02:26:50 PM

Hmm.  Who was it who forced his way to the front seat, grabbed the wheel, and crashed it in the ditch toward Crazytown?  I can't be expected to remember what happened ten minutes ago, man.

I'm admitting we're in crazy town. I think you are all overestimating how committed I am to my hypothetical. I doubt Theo just up and walks away either. I was just saying that if the Cubs do win a title this year or next year and he opts to walk away after cementing himself as Curse Breaker, I get it and it wouldn't be Ricketts fault.

If my original statement had just been "I could see Theo leaving if they've won a series and he wants another challenge elsewhere, and if he does leave it wouldn't be because Ricketts is too cheap to extend him, but I'm about 90% sure he'll be extended" would that be okay? I'd like to amend my statement to that.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #808 on: August 17, 2015, 02:37:14 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 02:29:39 PM

Hmm.  Who was it who forced his way to the front seat, grabbed the wheel, and crashed it in the ditch toward Crazytown?  I can't be expected to remember what happened ten minutes ago, man.

I'm admitting we're in crazy town. I think you are all overestimating how committed I am to my hypothetical. I doubt Theo just up and walks away either. I was just saying that if the Cubs do win a title this year or next year and he opts to walk away after cementing himself as Curse Breaker, I get it and it wouldn't be Ricketts fault.

If my original statement had just been "I could see Theo leaving if they've won a series and he wants another challenge elsewhere, and if he does leave it wouldn't be because Ricketts is too cheap to extend him, but I'm about 90% sure he'll be extended" would that be okay? I'd like to amend my statement to that.

For god's sake Andy, just give me the MODS for this place already.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #809 on: August 17, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 02:29:39 PM

You mean the hypothetical you're still defending?  Right, we've totally overestimated your commitment.